2: Bourez / Medina
3: Ferreira / Ohhara
4: Mesinas / Wright

Women's Quarters
1: Buitendag / Hopkins
2: Hennessy / Marks
3: Moore / Lima
4: Tsuzuki / Fitzgibbons

Seems like JJF was tentative to try airs and Kolohe stomped a reverse for 8.5. Should go again today.
Quarters should start around Mon 7/26 1200 HST: https://stream.nbcolympics.com/surfing-mens-quarterfinals (I tied it to my Spectrum Cable account)

Surfline forecast: TUESDAY (Japan) 27th: 5-8’ (1.5m-2.4m) ENE/SE swell mix. Moderate+ NW trending SW to SSW winds.
SWELL/SURF: Peaky swell mix in the head-high range with well overhead sets. The surf is jumbled in the morning but should organize some with the incoming tide over the afternoon. Expect a touch smaller surf around the lower tide.
WIND/WEATHER: Breezy NW winds through midday relax some over the afternoon. Winds may trend a bit more sideshore from the NNW at times with passing rain showers.

Reactions: PJ

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site

really shitty
shoulda gone wave pool
Watched skateboarding and thought it was kind of boring, especially the street big move portion. Then I thought the casual viewer would think the same thing for surfing, especially with the riders so many times just trying for a big air, kicking out if it doesn't set up.

Reactions: Mr J

BentoBox70

OTF status
Dec 9, 2016
South Bay CA
Isn't it weird that surfers representing the same country would be in head to head heats against each other?

Man, those waves suck
Yeah, the waves were suck. Although the JJF and Kolohe heat had some fun size.

Kolohe had an advantage. The waves were the standard CA beach break slop. He definitely had a lot of opportunity to practice for this wave.

It is odd that they matched athletes from the same country. I think that sucked.

Reactions: Havoc

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta

Kolohe had an advantage. The waves were the standard CA beach break slop. He definitely had a lot of opportunity to practice for this wave.

It is odd that they matched athletes from the same country. I think that sucked.
It happened for Japan too.

Though, it was more like Orange County vs. Japan

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Dam. I dont like Kanoa but he was ripping in the round I saw. Gnarly floaters and pumping in the flats to maintain speed! Wow! Crazy good. The new zealand guy in the blue jersey was ripping and so was the duu in the yellow jersey. Cant remember what heat it was. My 30 min trial is over and have to pay for Peacock! This sucks.

• Wow
Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

yeah, well it's the USA so dems vs liberals is prly what the IOC was thinking. Only in america.

final will be brazzo vs brazzo tho which really sucks bc they are a unified nation against all.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Dam. I dont like Kanoa but he was ripping in the round I saw. Gnarly floaters and pumping in the flats to maintain speed! Wow! Crazy good. The new zealand guy in the blue jersey was ripping and so was the duu in the yellow jersey. Cant remember what heat it was. My 30 min trial is over and have to pay for Peacock! This sucks.
I just had to put the name of my cable company into the NBC app (not Peacock) then use my cable login info, I think if you can see NBC normally through a provider that subscription gets you the streaming.