olympic surfing is on now

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
u know when they listed heats as "mens shortboarding" i was wondering if they had a longboard division

thankfully, they didnt

• Wow
Reactions: potato-nator

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
Kanoa is getting attacked from all directions on social media by Medina fans, who think that their guy should have won that heat

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
It's valid. I just had a kid and when filling out his birth certificate, I could have written anything I wanted. My dad is haole, my mom is Hawaiian/Chinese, so on my sons birth certificate I put that dad (me) is haole, hawaiian, chinese, but nobody checked it and there's no DNA test.

I can trace my roots back to a full Hawaiian and a full Chinese who met at Kahuku Sugar Plantation, but after that it gets messy. Similarly, almost everybody who's mixed in Hawaii is some sort of Asian. If we did DNA testing, I'd bet a lot of people would find out that they're 1-10% Hawaiian and not know it.

Just looking a Carissa, and her mom, I'd guess the mom is half and Carissa is quarter Hawaiian.

Her sister Cayla, went to an all Hawaiian school where you have to prove it. I went there as well and had to provide a family tree that could be verified based on other relatives who went to the school.

View attachment 113673
Carissa and sister Cayla, 2006. They grow up.

CarissaMoore_NUMovie_060430.jpg

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
It's valid. I just had a kid and when filling out his birth certificate, I could have written anything I wanted. My dad is haole, my mom is Hawaiian/Chinese, so on my sons birth certificate I put that dad (me) is haole, hawaiian, chinese, but nobody checked it and there's no DNA test.

I can trace my roots back to a full Hawaiian and a full Chinese who met at Kahuku Sugar Plantation, but after that it gets messy. Similarly, almost everybody who's mixed in Hawaii is some sort of Asian. If we did DNA testing, I'd bet a lot of people would find out that they're 1-10% Hawaiian and not know it.

Just looking a Carissa, and her mom, I'd guess the mom is half and Carissa is quarter Hawaiian.

Her sister Cayla, went to an all Hawaiian school where you have to prove it. I went there as well and had to provide a family tree that could be verified based on other relatives who went to the school.

View attachment 113673
Interesting Racer1, didn't know you were Kanaka Maoli. Since native Hawaiians aren't federally recognized like mainland tribes, I've heard the recognition process is by blood like you mentioned and not by an enrollment process. I believe it's like 1/32 to attend Kamehameha schools, and 1/2 to receive a 99 year land lease for $1 from Hawaiian Homelands. Do you know if that's correct?

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I don't know what the KSBE requirement is. Seems like all you need is a drop
but the Hawaiian Homelands is 50%. They are trying to drop it to 25% for descendants so they can keep the property instead having to turn it over. But generations of 100% hawaiians have died sitting on the wait list while others have profited from it by illegally sub-leasing the land to non-hawaiians. The program mismanagement is one of the greatest travesty in our modern culture. Like rail but 1000 times worse. Joe Kalani'anaole(punahou grad) must be disgusted (kaulana na pua)

I'm 1/4 as my dad (KSBE class of 1941) was half. His mom was 50% german and 50% hawaiian his pops(KSBE class of 1909) was 50% chinese and 50% hawaiian. Lots of foreign men married hawaiian women back then. Because of that most of us are like Racer1 and are hapa (mixed). PPK like others is a grad too.

Reactions: Lohena and racer1

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
yup it gets weird
I have a weird german first name, a hawaiian middle name, a chinese hawaiian last name but look japanese/asian. Eventhough I had more hawaiian blood/ancestry than most of my KSBE classmates I got hassled for how I looked like the white skinned , red or blonde haired and blue eyed hawaiians at my school. . No different than how I was treated by military caucasian kids in Germany and Texas or by Japanese relatives for looking like them but not being able to speak the language.
It's a weird world

Thank god surfing was primarily a solo endeavor (before pro surfing)
You got rated on your skills not your looks

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I don't know what the KSBE requirement is. Seems like all you need is a drop
but the Hawaiian Homelands is 50%. They are trying to drop it to 25% for descendants so they can keep the property instead having to turn it over. But generations of 100% hawaiians have died sitting on the wait list while others have profited from it by illegally sub-leasing the land to non-hawaiians. The program mismanagement is one of the greatest travesty in our modern culture. Like rail but 1000 times worse. Joe Kalani'anaole(punahou grad) must be disgusted (kaulana na pua)

I'm 1/4 as my dad (KSBE class of 1941) was half. His mom was 50% german and 50% hawaiian his pops(KSBE class of 1909) was 50% chinese and 50% hawaiian. Lots of foreign men married hawaiian women back then. Because of that most of us are like Racer1 and are hapa (mixed). PPK like others is a grad too.
My brother's and sisters all graduated from Kamehameha. My younger brother Nathan just passed last week from medical health complications. His request is to have his services at the Kamehameha School chapel. We're all very proud to have attended the school. My Dad, was full blooded Hawaiian from the Kohala area of the Big Island. Mom from Maui, with a splash of Chinese in her. Nathan lived on campus as a "boarder" during the school year and returned to Kauai during summer recess. He, like myself and David were adopted from our immediate family yet always remained in contact as a Family through attending Kamehameha School. David didn't have the opportunity to attend Kamehameha and was always disappointed that he didn't / couldn't.

And btw. My Dad registered for Hawaiian Homestead Lands on Oahu and never got the call nor I, when I registered on the Big Island of Hawaii in 1970 for a piece of the pie in Waimea when I returned from California and moved to Hawaiian Ocean View Estates, near South Point, Hawaii.

Last edited:

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
But generations of 100% hawaiians have died sitting on the wait list while others have profited from it by illegally sub-leasing the land to non-hawaiians. The program mismanagement is one of the greatest travesty in our modern culture.
Agreed. It seems the greatest travesties in modern and historical culture are consistently against our indigenous peoples.

Here's a recent article on a small transfer for HHL...it says 2000 Hawaiians have died while waiting.

https://nativenewsonline.net/sovereignty/interior-dept-land-transfer-makes-small-dent-in-massive-waitlist-of-native-hawaiians-waiting-to-get-land-back

Last edited:
Reactions: PPK96754

eddie webster

OTF status
Aug 26, 2014
i never watched one heat thanks for posting your comments cant wait for chopes gold medal rd we dont have to wait 4 yrs do we?