olympic surfing is on now

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
good waves for a quad or twin. seen only thrusters'
its all about air reverses today

Reactions: ReForest
Jul 10, 2014
Watching the Men’s replay. Background noise is terrible. Whoever the English guy commentating with Barton Lynch is, he doesn’t know surfing or at least not Brazilians. Italo does a big backside air reverse and clams it. The English guy: “Is he happy with that one?“

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
good waves for a quad or twin. seen only thrusters'
its all about air reverses today
twins are only suitable for recreational surfing. What surprises me is the high percentage of epoxy/eps boards in use, the waves are well suited to that construction, but the pros seemed to have been reluctant to use them in competition in the past. On the other hand that could be because the WSL doesn't run heats in these meagre conditions.

Australian forcaster Swellnet who I subscribe to is currently predicting up to 10' (overhead x 4) with onshore winds for 3rd August.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Watching the Men’s replay. Background noise is terrible. Whoever the English guy commentating with Barton Lynch is, he doesn’t know surfing or at least not Brazilians. Italo does a big backside air reverse and clams it. The English guy: “Is he happy with that one?“
Way too overscoring on the air-revo thing. 1st heat, guys were connecting multiple turns, then as soon as the Japanese guy did a single manouver air-revo, that became the only thing. It was sad to wath Italo, pump, pump, pump, pump, and then another pump, just to get a boost. It just felt wrong, like he was wasting the rare decent wave.

As 000 said, better than Encinitas right now.

Reactions: Potsie

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
yeah I watched some little highlight clip of the first round and he was talking about "igarashi kanoa" lol

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
skating was pretty boring
Extremely slight variations of the same trick over and over again. The technical aspect doesn't really carry over onto TV all that well IMO. Felt more like watching a rollerblading competition or small wave surfing with repetitive air reverses.

I was hoping that someone would have said screw your rail and just aired a huge method over the entire set of stairs.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Extremely slight variations of the same trick over and over again. The technical aspect doesn't really carry over onto TV all that well IMO. Felt more like watching a rollerblading competition or small wave surfing with repetitive air reverses.

I was hoping that someone would have said screw your rail and just aired a huge method over the entire set of stairs.
yea it was pretty repetitive after all. these guys all practice a routine and pretty much stick to it. also course looks tiny on tv. im sure some of those features in real life are gnarly but the scale doesnt come across.

the announcers were complete noobs trying to call the tricks and whatnot.

the park/ transition competition should be at least a little more exciting to watch.

Reactions: Kento

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
there's been olympic surfing?

event is so insular i haven't seen any clips or been served any ads with clips of clips. - guess it's nbc on air programming or bust.