*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
It might come in a bit less that what is being predicted but once you get within a day or two of these snow events they generally get it right. I wouldn't trust the 7-day forecast nearly as much.

I'll post again when I-80 closes. :computer: :bricks:

Here's the forecast for the I-80 summit... breaking 30" of accumulation in a couple different 12-hour periods is big big snowfall. On the high end this is showing 11+ FEET!?

Thursday
A chance of rain and snow showers before 7am, then snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow, mainly between 10am and 4pm. High near 36. Windy, with a south southwest wind 26 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 15 to 21 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow after 7pm. Low around 24. Windy, with a southwest wind 29 to 34 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 25 to 31 inches possible.
Friday
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. High near 30. Windy, with a south southwest wind 26 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 23 to 29 inches possible.
Friday Night
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. Low around 20. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 31 to 37 inches possible.
Saturday
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Widespread blowing snow. High near 26. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 18 to 24 inches possible.
Saturday Night
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow, mainly before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15. Breezy.
Sunday
A chance of snow showers, mainly before 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 28.

I-80 crosses the Sierra Nevada crest at Donner Summit (also known as Euer Saddle) at an elevation of 7,239 feet (2,206 m) westbound and 7,227 feet (2,203 m) eastbound. The Donner Summit Rest Area is located at this point.[23][24] The summit is located in Nevada County, California. The pass is generally open year-round; it is plowed in winter but may temporarily close during the worst snowstorms.

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
6 to 9' of fresh pow expected at highest elevations, on this next doozy.

Be safe out there.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Was thinking about heading up to Mammoth on Sunday though Thursday for my B-Day but just saw on the Weather Channel that MM and surrounding areas are expecting up to 6 feet of snow from this approaching storm!
Does that sound right?:drowning:
Think we'll delay this one and head up the week after.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Headed up to Mammoth again this weekend. We were going to drive up Friday, but decided it might be better to leave tomorrow instead. Should be "interesting":drowning:

• Wow
Reactions: $kully

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Was thinking about heading up to Mammoth on Sunday though Thursday for my B-Day but just saw on the Weather Channel that MM and surrounding areas are expecting up to 6 feet of snow from this approaching storm!
Does that sound right?:drowning:
Think we'll delay this one and head up the week after.
Delay? This is shaping up to be the best week of the decade. I'm shooting up Sunday for an all-time Top Pop Monday yeeew!

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Headed up to Mammoth again this weekend. We were going to drive up Friday, but decided it might be better to leave tomorrow instead. Should be "interesting":drowning:
You made the right call. Got woken up by the wind early this morning and decided to split vs slide on ice for a couple of hours. I wish we had the time to ride the storm out then score. I guess it wasn't meant to be... We'll be back.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
So far, so good.
Just spent a morning skiing and an afternoon boarding and while odd at first, the longer worn the better the support they provide. Certainly more support than the neoprene job I have been wearing. Probably 6 hours total on the hill and my knee feels good. Had I been wearing the neoprene brace, I for sure would be very sore and icing right a way.
Three downsides I've felt so far: they are tight around the waist (I'm not skinny no more...), they will not prevent hyperextension (I had a close call this afternoon, probably due to fatigue, but was able to save it And called it a day) they are not as warm as my standard base layer (I was never cold today).

I will update at end of trip.

Snowing pretty good right now.
View attachment 173720
Let's just say I am very stocked on the Stokos. Wearing them is like having external knee ligaments. Zero soreness after 3 solid days of both boarding and skiing. Maybe a bit more time on skis due to less than great snow conditions. It was a good test of the technology and I'm sold. The only drawback was the tightness around the waist but you get used to it as the day goes on.
If you have knee issues and your HSA will cover it, buy yourself a pair.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
After a mild, dry, and surfy winter the tides have turned and the deep cold 900ish mb lows of March are on us. Classic Nor Westers that deliver cold light snow. Finally getting some ROI on the pass and some fun ones in the last few weeks, but Monday was kind of all time. Belly deep and zones were popping like avy bombs going off. Chute crashing, slashing, and gashing getting white roomed for 3 or 4 blind turns. Got one of my favorite gullies untouched a buddy and I slashing it wall to wall in tandem. Couple Fridays ago lucked into a rare upper mountain opening and pretty good vis. Lapped the highest bowls comboing with the classic glades with not to many peps in the zones. Kinda forgot how fun snowsarfin is. Frothing for more! March madness here we go!

Last edited:

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
Been twice, It a great mountain and is the most crowded, for a reason. If it’s snowing, the backcountry gates are where you want to be. Gate 8 on Annapuri side is a long natural half pipe, so good if you have fresh snow and are boarding. Explore as many as you can, again, if it’s snowing, if not I could be icy sh!t.

Restaurants are a bitch to get into at night, if you are with a group reservations are your friend. Worst case there are food trucks with decent food in a bind.

Good onsen at the big hotel at the base of Hirafu.

Going by train from Sapporo? Best to get off at Kutchan vice Niseko station.

Did I mention it’s busy? Hadn’t been there since 2019, was blown away by the development and amount of people. Honestly it’s lost its luster for me personally after having travelled to a lot of differ mountains this year. That said you’ll love it.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
National Weather Service today from Kirkwood: 5-6' from now through tomorrow morning. Have to coordinate schedule for sure but could be really good next week. Enough base now to last through spring, that's for sure.

1709337453348.png

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Had a couple sunny days at Kirkwood on Tuesday and Wednesday this past week. Cruising with my parents and wife was a ton of fun. I inadvertently sharpened my edges a little too sharp before the trip, so my board was a extra grabby. But it made for some extra hold that I wasn't used to while carving backside, so it was fun laying some turns down.

I'm hoping that the roads open Monday, so driving up to Pioneer on Sunday night.