*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Skied from 5-12 then started snoboarding, I will jump on skis every now and then. When I get older i am sure that is the route I will take.
sh!t I am kind of old already :roflmao:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
It's funny - I was just talking with my wife about this why you don't see as many old (say, 60+) snowboarders compared to skiers.

I started snowboarding in the late 80s as a punk-ass pre-teen/teen when the war was on with skiers - oh man that was fun. Pretty much the first one in my high school class to go to the dark side full time. I'm probably a half-generation back from the pioneers so yeah, kinda uncharted territory as far as the older snowboarding generation since most of them haven't aged out that far yet.

Skiing started to kill my knees as I got older and I never looked back. Snowboarding motion was a lot more natural. I cannot picture myself going back to skiing at all; it just doesn't look appealing at all.

That being said, both my wife and kids ski. My wife just wasn't clicking with snowboarding but is progressing relatively well with skiing and has made everything a lot more enjoyable. My daughter is conservative, I could see her keeping with skiing. Funny that she used to be the hellion, well, comparatively. My son I can see going to snowboarding before too long but he needs to learn edge control and how to stop on a dime. Both of them do.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Snowboarding is so much easier on the knees. It's one of the main reasons I stayed off skis for 35+ years. That changed with the Ikon pass and my wife wanting to ski Deer Valley. The new skis are so much better and easier on the knees. You still can get sideways with the independent leg/foot movement but skis are exponentially better since they adopted snowboard technology.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Snowboarding is so much easier on the knees. It's one of the main reasons I stayed off skis for 35+ years. That changed with the Ikon pass and my wife wanting to ski Deer Valley. The new skis are so much better and easier on the knees. You still can get sideways with the independent leg/foot movement but skis are exponentially better since they adopted snowboard technology.
I so want to say I have a pair of untouched 1990/91 200cm K2 Extremes stored somewhere. They had delam issues, sent them in to K2 and they gave me a new pair but I had moved on to snowboarding at that point so never got used. Collectors item.

I guess I'll have to see as I get older. It's not like I haven't contemplated how long it would take to get back to where I was, what 33 years ago? I would bet good money that muscle memory would kick in very quickly, a few runs at most, maybe even faster with the snowboard tech as you describe.

There is a part of me that so badly wants to launch a gigantic double daffy off one of the better kickers under the lift in the park. The youth just don't know.

• Love
Reactions: santacruzin

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Just spent 3 days at Timberline on Mt Hood. Our local mtn is part of the Powder Alliance so we get free lift tix at a number of smaller areas. We stayed in the historic lodge, ate like royalty and enjoyed the ski in ski out accommodations. Now back in Washington because my daughter has ski ”intros to racing & freestyle“ class every Saturday at our local. Sure was fun to ski Oregon again!
IMG_6424.jpeg
wifey and kiddo riding the Bone Zone…
IMG_6465.jpeg
yup, we stayed in the Shining Hotel

IMG_6427.jpeg

this window is on the second floor.

IMG_6431.jpeg

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
Japow Tour day 27, on the Shinkansen bullet train from Hokkaido to Tokyo for a flight out tonight. Niseko delivered in spades, dumping all day on our final day. Trip stats, 15 total riding days, 12 different mountains, almost all powder days, 3 or 4 bluebird days. If you’ve ever thought about Japan, do yourself a favor and pull the trigger. It’s not expensive. $48 was the most I spent on a lift ticket. Managed 3 days on Ikon, which was nice. This was my second trip here, prolly an annual event now.
Extra Special Bonus, no homeless, no assholes, except for the occasional drunk Aussie (the one I was traveling with excluded, he’s a guud kaaaan), well behaved children, and some of the nicest, welcoming people you could ever encounter.
Gonna go home and rest for a week and then get busy at Mammoth, maybe catch a wave or two In between. Retirement is grand.
IMG_3088.jpegIMG_3091.jpeg

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Japow Tour day 27, on the Shinkansen bullet train from Hokkaido to Tokyo for a flight out tonight. Niseko delivered in spades, dumping all day on our final day. Trip stats, 15 total riding days, 12 different mountains, almost all powder days, 3 or 4 bluebird days. If you’ve ever thought about Japan, do yourself a favor and pull the trigger. It’s not expensive. $48 was the most I spent on a lift ticket. Managed 3 days on Ikon, which was nice. This was my second trip here, prolly an annual event now.
Extra Special Bonus, no homeless, no assholes, except for the occasional drunk Aussie (the one I was traveling with excluded, he’s a guud kaaaan), well behaved children, and some of the nicest, welcoming people you could ever encounter.
Gonna go home and rest for a week and then get busy at Mammoth, maybe catch a wave or two In between. Retirement is grand.
View attachment 173566View attachment 173567
Thinking about it in the future, how was the language difficulties?

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
Thinking about it in the future, how was the language difficulties?
Google translate is your friend. Most ticketing agents at JR stations speak enough English to make it easy. Average Japanese person speaks a little bit not a lot, with translate you can get your point across. The google app has a text translator so you can read menus if not in English.50/50 on English on menus. In short, surprisingly easy to manage. And the times you can’t are what travel is all about. It’s good to be a fish out of water.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Just put a set of the Stokos on my HSA card. Will report back once I've worn them a time or two.
So far, so good.
Just spent a morning skiing and an afternoon boarding and while odd at first, the longer worn the better the support they provide. Certainly more support than the neoprene job I have been wearing. Probably 6 hours total on the hill and my knee feels good. Had I been wearing the neoprene brace, I for sure would be very sore and icing right a way.
Three downsides I've felt so far: they are tight around the waist (I'm not skinny no more...), they will not prevent hyperextension (I had a close call this afternoon, probably due to fatigue, but was able to save it And called it a day) they are not as warm as my standard base layer (I was never cold today).

I will update at end of trip.

Snowing pretty good right now.
1708993056204.png

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Im having a blast in BC. Rode Big White friday and saturday. Revelstoke sunday and monday. Both are sick, but Revy is just unbelievable. Endless possibilities. Glades trees bowls steeps. Nothing short of amazing.
Gonna go to Silver Star tomorrow, Sun peaks the day after and Whistler for the rest of the week.
Siiiickkkkk

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Im having a blast in BC. Rode Big White friday and saturday. Revelstoke sunday and monday. Both are sick, but Revy is just unbelievable. Endless possibilities. Glades trees bowls steeps. Nothing short of amazing.
Gonna go to Silver Star tomorrow, Sun peaks the day after and Whistler for the rest of the week.
Siiiickkkkk
Get to Whitewater? That's been on the short list along with Revelstoke, Baker, and going back to Targhee for me.

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Get to Whitewater? That's been on the short list along with Revelstoke, Baker, and going back to Targhee for me.
No man. Wanted to to but didn’t happen this time. Its gonna be Big White, Revelstoke, Silverstar, Sun Peaks and Whistler. Such a sick route. I am beyond amazed by this place and the resorts as I had only been to Whistler and the coast range before. Got so lucky with all this snow too. Lifes good right now and about to start riding Silverstar.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Did you have your bindings super tight? I ride mine so loose so they release once or twice every day at least.
Bindings that don't bind. Coming to you from the mind that brought you surfboards that don't float.

Did you not have money to buy real bindings because you took your free oil money from the government and bought leveraged oil stocks that lost money and rendered you underwater and got your sh!t liquidated, so you went on a viking shopping trip to Gothenburg and, upon seeing a double amputee Peshmerga refugee in a wheelchair, promptly dumped the occupant out and absconded with the contraption, which you then fashioned into ski bindings?

• Wow
Reactions: Northern_Shores

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Did you have your bindings super tight? I ride mine so loose so they release once or twice every day at least.
i don't really know anything about binding settings but i don't think so? had them release a few weeks ago and afterwards thought that maybe they could be a bit tighter.

1709064126448.png