*** Official Shark Thread ***

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
Now it has the taste for human flesh. I recon someone needs to call in Quint stat!

Effing gnar gnar. RIP swimmer guy. Wrong place wrong time but just for the record you would never catch me swimming out and about in a place like that. Just looks super sketch to me.
I used to surf about 2-3 miles from there at maroubra all the time and had an encounter myself where a fairly large white swam right under me, clear as day... I dont't live by there anymore but I'll never forget it. RIP to this guy, what a brutal way to go

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
One of the witnesses that was interviewed said something that stuck out to me. He said it looked like a "fully committed shark attack"

Basically shark applied hunting instincts, attacked, and returned. It seemed as if it targeted that poor guy like a meal.

RIP to that person, he appeared to be a very experienced water-person, who probably swam that same trench numerous times and left without any trouble, then went about his day. Maybe it was just his time, but still very gruesome.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Anybody try the "smell of death?'

If that really works then I just need to fart when I'm surfing because my farts "smell of death".

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
I normally ignore this thread as I don't and never have surfed maneating sharky waters but this was a real shock as the guy grew up not far away and I've talked to his dad a few times in the past - good guy. Utterly gutted for the family.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
If that really works then I just need to fart when I'm surfing because my farts "smell of death".
I do! Maybe it helps?

I don't know though. I pee far more than I fart in the water. I make sure to take the one solid wake-up dump, pack the car, take secondary dump, and out. Weekend warrior status and a few peripherals now and then so yeah, I don't have to work next day, I'm going to put back a few. Are beer pisses a deterrent? How many Aussies get bit?

What about eating a bunch of asparagus the night before and then taking mad pisses next morning? Attractant? Deterrent?

At any rate, I do make sure not to **** off my wife too much lest she marinate my wetsuit in pig blood. :roflmao:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
One of the witnesses that was interviewed said something that stuck out to me. He said it looked like a "fully committed shark attack"

Basically shark applied hunting instincts, attacked, and returned. It seemed as if it targeted that poor guy like a meal.

RIP to that person, he appeared to be a very experienced water-person, who probably swam that same trench numerous times and left without any trouble, then went about his day. Maybe it was just his time, but still very gruesome.
When I go striper fishing, I might cast that surface popper a thousand times without a strike........then WHAM!!!!!!!! Its a numbers game.