*** Official Shark Thread ***

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I will only add that in the 35+ years I've been surfing, this year I've been spending the most time scanning the water between sets...

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

These guys hang out just off one of the most popular tourist trap towns on the north shore of the island. Just under where the surf schools most frequently paddle out with their students.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Wonder how many would still pay to do that if they knew?

:shrug::socrazy::roflmao::shameonyou:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

Fuuuuuck. I was out there around 9 to 11ish that morning for my birthday sesh. I usually surf at least 3 hours, especially when it's good conditions, but had recurring nagging vibes that it was really time to go in. Birds flying super psycho/erratic just seemed really off too. Dropping swell made it easier to go in, especially after getting a nice left. Really glad no one got bit (including myself).

• Wow
Reactions: Mr Doof and rice

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019

Fuuuuuck. I was out there around 9 to 11ish that morning for my birthday sesh. I usually surf at least 3 hours, especially when it's good conditions, but had recurring nagging vibes that it was really time to go in. Birds flying super psycho/erratic just seemed really off too. Dropping swell made it easier to go in, especially after getting a nice left. Really glad no one got bit (including myself).
no harm no foul. just your normal red triangle chit.

actually sort of surprised it made the papers. but yeah, we should probably make a point of broadcasting the shark reality more.

196D372C-578B-424C-B9E9-D46F12D0C378.jpeg

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
no harm no foul. just your normal red triangle chit.

actually sort of surprised it made the papers. but yeah, we should probably make a point of broadcasting the shark reality more.

View attachment 121501
Same here. Actually relieved that it's from same incident/day you mentioned previously. Maybe published to clear the crowd a little. Those couple days where there were 30+ people out at main peak were a little obscene. Last run of good swell was a lot emptier.

I have a pretty good idea what spot that blue dot is on Santa Cruz Island. Always a paranoid joy to paddle back to the boat with open slices from the razor sharp reef there. Not sure whether murky or crystal clear water is worse. Glad I have the memories of surfing that spot with just a handful of people at most - can't imagine the shitshow these days there.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
No encounters in Big Sur? Seems unlikely.

Kento can reassure himself with the fact that, in his neck of the woods, there have been 20 incidents in the last 70 years. Like once every 2 years. What are the chances you will be an incident? Less than a triple vaxxed teenager dying from Covid? Still spooky.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
No encounters in Big Sur? Seems unlikely.

Kento can reassure himself with the fact that, in his neck of the woods, there have been 20 incidents in the last 70 years. Like once every 2 years. What are the chances you will be an incident? Less than a triple vaxxed teenager dying from Covid? Still spooky.
I would bet the vast majority of incidents do not get reported. Like doc said above, part of the deal up here. Seen a couple people get chased in before. I've gotten nudged/bumped a few times earlier this year by medium-sized unidentified swimming objects, sat on my board abruptly getting to lineup and plopped my whole right foot down directly on top of something that was far more scared/caught unawares than I was - could feel the water vacuum of it bolting hard. Just a few months ago, had a fish with needle-teeth chomp on my foot, did not break through the bootie, gave it a good kick off. That was actually kind of funny.

Generally just creepy things out there but the guy who got bit a couple months ago, that was a sunny, mellow, idyllic day, a time you would least expect it. :shrug:

I hope my ace in the hole is that I absolutely suck at fishing and sharks, like other fish, recognize that. :beer:

• Wow
Reactions: Mr Doof and One-Off