***Official Real Estate Thread***

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It called "by right". We are going through the same stuff in Encinitas. Tomorrow night, the planning commission will be approving a 500 unit apartment complex. This effectively doubles the size of the existing neighborhood. I would love to see the VLM studies for the RB project. That's something like "vehicle level mileage". A super low-ball estimate of how much the new tenants will be driving around.
500 units?

LOL

I'm surrounded by plans for 15,000+ units.

No plans for infrastructure improvements.

Basically the entire area area where Mitsven, SK, Catalina Offshore, Bird's etc has has been designated as "urban blight" to be demoed and replaced with apartments. 100 ft high rises approved. Golf course next to the YMCA has been leveled, 7000 units approved along with retail. Grand/Garnet exit approved for 6000 units. Can't wait to see what the traffic is like. :)

NAVWAR was also set to be demoed in a hush-hush deal to build a "mini city" with high rises and 10,000 units. Luckily that was shut down.

Meanwhile the "Midway Rising" plan pushes forward for Sports Arena Blvd - 5000 more homes, and plenty of "big city energy" says Mayor Todd Gloria.

The same is eventually coming for your neck of the woods.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
500 units?

LOL

Basically the entire area area where Mitsven, SK, Catalina Offshore, Bird's etc has has been designated as "urban blight" to be demoed and replaced with apartments. 100 ft high rises approved. Golf course next to the YMCA has been leveled, 7000 units approved along with retail. Grand/Garnet exit approved for 6000 units. Can't wait to see what the traffic is like. :)

NAVWAR was also set to be demoed in a hush-hush deal to build a "mini city" with high rises and 10,000 units. Luckily that was shut down.

Meanwhile the "Midway Rising" plan pushes forward for Sports Arena Blvd - 5000 more homes, and plenty of "big city energy" says Mayor Todd Gloria.

The NIMBY is strong in the north.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
SD is a major metropolitan area.

Of course They’re going to develop everywhere close to the hub.

just be glad they don’t built it like Houston or Texas where it’d be concrete from San Diego to temecula

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
500 units?

LOL

THE MIDWAY DISTRICT

Walking distance from MCRD and NTC, it has a checkered past. I’m guessing the district planners will somehow incorporate Le Girls and Pacer into their design.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
It called "by right". We are going through the same stuff in Encinitas. Tomorrow night, the planning commission will be approving a 500 unit apartment complex. This effectively doubles the size of the existing neighborhood. I would love to see the VLM studies for the RB project. That's something like "vehicle level mileage". A super low-ball estimate of how much the new tenants will be driving around.
VMT vehicle miles travelled. You hire an "expert" consultant. What I've found in my years on the Historic Preservation Commission is that consultants will make findings in line with whatever their client wants in order to get a paycheck.

Reactions: Senor Sopa

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
500 units?

LOL

This little "undeveloped" cut out of the Midway Rising project is where our shop and offices are. The family I work for owns building. This project could potentially be the biggest boondoggle in the City's history.

1666207731633.png

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
500 units?

LOL

I think the issue in Redondo is the site is literally across the street from the beach (Redondo Breakwall).

Why can't California build its affordable housing in Arizona or Nevada?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
500 units?

LOL

The great thing about not surfing is that you can move away from this madness on the coast.

And I love the coast.

*I went body surfing yesterday

And my fin strap broke.

Then my brace for my fucked up foot broke.

I'm so glad I quit!

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
The great thing about not surfing is that you can move away from this madness on the coast.

And I love the coast.

*I went body surfing yesterday

And my fin strap broke.

Then my brace for my fucked up foot broke.

I'm so glad I quit!
Basically, if you don't live within bike distance of a quality surf spot, you are doomed to 2nd rate kookdom.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Getting rid of industrial areas - reminds me of the history of Asbury Park, NJ. Now I'm not trying to compare Asbury Park to California but I think the Asbury Park story is instructive in general as to why its good to have diversity in industry in a town.

Asbury Park was created by one man in the mid-1800’s as a planned community with the latest of everything, city sewers and water, an amusement pier with convention center all served by a central steam plant, nice big houses – really good stuff. And it did very well for a long time. There was a passenger train which brought residents and tourists and a freight train which served an industrial area across the railroad tracks from the town. The people who lived across the tracks worked as maids and butlers in the expensive houses and in the industrial area. As times changed and the number of servants employed declined there was still industrial work for the people across the tracks who wound up being predominantly black. At some point Asbury Park decided that it needed to go 100% tourism and shopping (Asbury’s downtown was a local shopping destination) and get rid of the unsightly freight train and tracks which it did, of course, keeping the passenger train. Shortly after that many unforeseen changes occurred - the Garden State Parkway was built which made the train station not so important and which opened up towns South of Asbury Park such as Long Beach Island to development taking away tourism, shopping malls were built, taking away shopping, and amusement parks were built taking away the amusement pier business and traffic. And the industrial jobs and any possibility of more industrial jobs were also gone so the people across the tracks had no work.

Last edited:
Reactions: npsp and Mr Doof

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The people who lived across the tracks worked as maids and butlers in the expensive houses and in the industrial area. As times changed and the number of servants employed declined there was still industrial work for the people across the tracks who wound up being predominantly black.

I know this wasn't the point of your post, but this phenomena is rarely a product of happenstance...

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Getting rid of industrial areas - reminds me of the history of Asbury Park, NJ. Now I'm not trying to compare Asbury Park to California but I think the Asbury Park story is instructive in general as to why its good to have diversity in industry in a town.

Asbury Park was created by one man in the mid-1800’s as a planned community with the latest of everything, city sewers and water, an amusement pier with convention center all served by a central steam plant, mice big houses – really good stuff. And it did very well for a long time. There was a passenger train which brought residents and tourists and a freight train which served an industrial area across the railroad tracks from the town. The people who lived across the tracks worked as maids and butlers in the expensive houses and in the industrial area. As times changed and the number of servants employed declined there was still industrial work for the people across the tracks who wound up being predominantly black. At some point Asbury Park decided that it needed to go 100% tourism and shopping (Asbury’s downtown was a local shopping destination) and get rid of the unsightly freight train and tracks which it did, of course keeping the passenger train. Shortly after that many unforeseen changes occurred - the Garden State Parkway was built which made the train station not so important and which opened up towns South of Asbury Park such as Long Beach Island to development taking away tourism, shopping malls were built, taking away shopping, and amusement parks were built taking away the amusement pier business and traffic. And the industrial jobs and any possibility of more industrial jobs were also gone so the people across the tracks had no work.
In Los Angeles the "other side of the tracks" is the other side of the 110 and 710 freeways. Still plenty of industry there. Redondo Beach was never an industrial town. It was conceived as a tourist destination.

I was just involved with a mixed use, 30 unit development ( https://www.beachcitycapital.com/project/catalina/ ) in the same area as the 2500 unit proposal. 30 units which were almost derailed because a handful of residents complained about parking. To get the project approved the developer had to agree to no overnight street parking in the area except by permit and the residents of the new project will be exempt from having the permit. Like I said above, the current city admin and planning commission are anti growth, a reflection of the residents' views. They nixed this project (below) which I was in favor of (as was Bob Meistrell, founder of Body Glove). The opposition's motto was, "Rivitalize, not supersize." The result is the pier area is pretty run down and most locals avoid it, especially in the summer and on weekends. I wonder how other South Bay residents on the erBB felt about it? Butthole Surfer was a pier regular but I haven't seen him around in a long time.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Curious what Redfin and Zillow are saying about erBB home owner price estimates since rates began climbing.

zillow was always the prudent estimate for me. slow to change and based very much on seemingly reasonable comps. as a result they did not keep increasing through the end of 2021, and has been flat through the 2022 run up and now dips.

redfin has been equity stroke material. Lofty projections and using comps that don’t align estimate, etc. and currently sits ~20% above the zillow estimate which is pure lulz.

i think I saw on here some regions have a lofty estimate on Zillow and prudent via Redfin.

Last edited:

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Curious what Redfin and Zillow are saying about erBB home owner price estimates since rates began climbing.

zillow was always the prudent estimate for me. slow to change and based very much on seemingly reasonable comps. as a result they did not keep increasing through the end of 2021, and has been flat through the 2022 run up and now dips.

redfin has been equity stroke material. Lofty projections and using comps that don’t align estimate, etc. and currently sits ~20% above the zillow estimate which is pure lulz.

i think I saw on here some regions have a lofty estimate on Zillow and prudent via Redfin.
They are both too high for my house I think. Redfin especially so.

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Just checked current estimates on our home:
realtor.com was the lowest
zillow was +$250K
redfin was $250K more than zillow

Quite a wide range. I don't trust any of them, they're aggregates and don't take into account views, updates, yards etc. Prices here haven't come down, it seems they're hoping for cash buyers who don't care about mortgages or appraisals.

Edit to add: like bird.LA above, I think the estimates trend high.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdsrfr

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
For me Zillow is lowest, Realtor.com is 100K higher and redfin is another 100K higher. Down a bit from the peak. Reasonably close based on recent sales in the neighborhood, but sales are taking longer.

Reactions: bird.LA