***Official Real Estate Thread***

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
650k? That's surpising.

But yeah, it's kind of a glorified trailer in a canyon that will likely be at eternal risk of becoming a fireball. Not sure how much fire insurance would cost for a place like that, even if it's possible.

I scoffed at Fallbrook, Bonsall, etc (everything in that corridor East of Vista/Oceanside/Pendleton but West of the 15 as a young man. Growing up in Oceanside, "Go back to Fallbrook" was always a scathing call out. Now? Shiiiiiiet. I'd love to find a nice joint in any of those areas. A friend of mine bought a dirt cheap townhome 10-15 years ago by San Luis Rey Downs. Nothing special, but a fine started home for probably 100k or less. 5-10 years later he was able to buy a slightly nicer one not far away and rent out the first. This year he was able to buy a dope little house on some property out that way that will likely be the spot he raises their 3 kids. The original purchase has probably quadrupled in value in that time.

Granted, timing was key. He got married to a girl from out that way and (I have a suspicion) got some family help in grabbing the first house when it was affordable. But damn.
if its high fire hazard area no one well insure you or a least for not what your property is worth and hard to even rebuild a track home on property with the $$$ with out federal emergency funds which well take forever to collect :drowning:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
if its high fire hazard area no one well insure you or a least for not what your property is worth and hard to even rebuild a track home on property with the $$$ with out federal emergency funds which well take forever to collect :drowning:

As someone who is completely ignorant to building, I wonder how hard it would be to drop a prefab on the lot.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Container home?? Three or four of 40 foot containers, maybe stacked? Three or four 20 footers nestled within??
Big slab of concrete, posted and covered?
Container plans available!!
Prefab everything to the max, drop the individual components in with a big helicopter, bolt them up, beat to fit and paint to match.

My house is close to the size of 4 40 footers, 2 side by side and 2 stacked.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Prefab everything to the max, drop the individual components in with a big helicopter, bolt them up, beat to fit and paint to match.

My house is close to the size of 4 40 footers, 2 side by side and 2 stacked.
Always loved the pre-fab container idea. Bury and seal a couple of 40's in the ground for water catchment with solar capabilities & SAT / Comms & A/C ........ :shaka:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
realtor.com sent me this as a "suggested" listing. I thought about for a while...but we only really need 20 bathrooms. Also the $15 million a year in property taxes was a deal breaker. Although...who does Trump's taxes? Maybe we could figure something out.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
just took a quick look at real estate in el salvador and my hot take was that prices are going up significantly.

anyone have any direct experience with that marketplace?

would love to get the inside scoop. i'm very interested. its been 20 years since i lived within walking distance of surf and i'd really like to get back to that.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
just took a quick look at real estate in el salvador and my hot take was that prices are going up significantly.

would love to get the inside scoop. i'm very interested. its been 20 years since i lived within walking distance of surf and i'd really like to get back to that.
A buddy of mine moved to San Salvador a few years ago. He said for the most part the city is safe and things are really looking up..... much better than it was a few years ago. He said in certain parts of the city and outside of San Salvador things can change very quickly and you can find yourself in trouble.

Reactions: crustBrother

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
The market hit the brakes suddenly on a Tuesday in early June, or so it seems.

2 houses near me hit the market, one in May and one a month later. The May house asked $2.4, sold in a couple days for $100K over asking. The June house also asked $2.4, sold in Oct. for $2.25.

Seems like they haven't gone down too much but the escalator ride up def stopped.
I think for the time being we are pretty safe in coastal California. There isn't any affordable inventory anyplace you would want to live. The tough part is appraisals. if you don't have a significant cash downpayment the house you buy may never appraise for the sell price and you will either have to buy it down or move on. When we sold a rental property last year it was listed as cash only. The buyer brought financing but had to prove he had the means to close. There's no real repercussions in CA for a buyer backing out of a no contingency deal so you want to list the house with some specific qualifications in order for an offer to be presented.

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
I think for the time being we are pretty safe in coastal California. There isn't any affordable inventory anyplace you would want to live. The tough part is appraisals. if you don't have a significant cash downpayment the house you buy may never appraise for the sell price and you will either have to buy it down or move on. When we sold a rental property last year it was listed as cash only. The buyer brought financing but had to prove he had the means to close. There's no real repercussions in CA for a buyer backing out of a no contingency deal so you want to list the house with some specific qualifications in order for an offer to be presented.
Coastal California has always well-weathered the ups and downs of US residential housing markets, for obvious reasons.

Reactions: grapedrink and npsp

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
My wife is in this business and her number one qualifier to even look at an offer is, show me that you have or can get the $$$$. Everything else is fixable.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco

I have a friend who lives there and has property and I've traveled down there a decent amount and my hot take is that it's pretty overpriced.

Not too many places where you can buy land and walk to the surf for anything less than a couple of hundred grand but there are some spots where you can buy land and drive a short distance to the water and be pretty happy. Check out Cerro Mar for instance.

Everything I've seen near high-quality waves or water-front plots are over 300K and not developed at all. No water, no electricity, and sometimes don't have serviceable roads. Many of these plots are just in front of random beaches where there's no real surf.

El Salvador is an attractive real estate play for ex-pats because of the ease of purchasing (compared to Mexico), the stability of the government (compared to nica), and the investments the government is making in developing the coastal areas to turn it into a surf destination.

I'm inclined to say that Nicaragua actually has better deals, better waves, and the country is much better looking.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Everything I've seen near high-quality waves or water-front plots are over 300K and not developed at all.
yeah, that's what i was surprised by. about twice what i would have guessed, but that sticker shock could be easily overcome given a sufficiently sunny outlook on potential for future appreciation based on stuff like this...
El Salvador is an attractive real estate play for ex-pats because of the ease of purchasing (compared to Mexico), the stability of the government (compared to nica), and the investments the government is making in developing the coastal areas to turn it into a surf destination.
what are the chances these trends and policies survive Bukele's tenure?

:shrug:

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
We bought our home in East Ventucky for about $160K in 99'. Lately, homes in the neighborhood have been selling around $780K, and those are not remodeled like ours is. We're toying with the idea of selling in a couple of years, buy a manufactured home behind the gates, retire and travel our asses off while we're still young and relatively heathly. :waving:

Reactions: sdsrfr and npsp

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
We bought our home in East Ventucky for about $160K in 99'. Lately, homes in the neighborhood have been selling around $780K, and those are not remodeled like ours is. We're toying with the idea of selling in a couple of years, buy a manufactured home behind the gates, retire and travel our asses off while we're still young and relatively heathly. :waving:
Great plan, but if you miss your home and CA it's irreversible. You will never get back in. Maybe better to rent it as a furnished rental so you can always come back or live there for part of the year?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
curious how folks here will be planning their estates for next of kin, etc.

these are not trivial assets nor easily divided. i know of some peeps who have a “shall liquidate and divide cash evenly” clause in their estate plans for their kids to avoid the family drama that can ensue from multiple families sharing rights to a single high value property.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
i know of some peeps who have a “shall liquidate and divide cash evenly” clause in their estate plans for their kids to avoid the family drama that can ensue from multiple families sharing rights to a single high value property.
i hope my folks do this..or at least a "must sell by specific date" clause. Love my sis but i already heard her talking bout how she wants to keep and rent it. I dont want to be landlord nor a buisness partner w/ my sis even tho we do get along now. Saw my Moms family torn apart because the trust and house was in all 3 kids names. 1 kid just had to be an asshole about everything.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
******* retire and travel our asses off while we're still young and relatively heathly. :waving: ******

KEY Phucken statement right there ….
@77 ….. while I’m still ABLE TO WALK N’ TALK, & do foolish things
THAT …. Is the thing I’m about to do real soon …

No Cane
No Walker
No Wheelchair
No Electric Cart
No 3 wheel Scooter
No short stepping / gravel draggin
No limpping
yada, yada, yada
Me n’ my Meds, twice a day ….. :roflmao:

DO EEEET!!! :dancing:

Last edited: