***Official Real Estate Thread***

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Yeah, prices have more plateaued than dropped in my neighborhood, but the velocity is way, way down.

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
They are both too high for my house I think. Redfin especially so.
100%, these are not rooted in reality.

a couple of my neighbors talk about the Redfin estimates like they are cash in hand. :crazy2:

Yeah, prices have more plateaued than dropped in my neighborhood, but the velocity is way, way down.
same. anything proper move in ready goes fast and for asking. fixer uppers get 1 or 2 price drops and take 2x as long before entering escrow.

It seems to me the HGTV diy reno dreamers are no longer as ambitious as they once were and any properties needing considerable refreshment are taking a dip.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The market hit the brakes suddenly on a Tuesday in early June, or so it seems.

2 houses near me hit the market, one in May and one a month later. The May house asked $2.4, sold in a couple days for $100K over asking. The June house also asked $2.4, sold in Oct. for $2.25.

Seems like they haven't gone down too much but the escalator ride up def stopped.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
500 units?

LOL

I'm surrounded by plans for 15,000+ units.

No plans for infrastructure improvements.

Basically the entire area area where Mitsven, SK, Catalina Offshore, Bird's etc has has been designated as "urban blight" to be demoed and replaced with apartments.
Let me guess, this is where the vagrant encampments have been allowed to grow.
NAVWAR was also set to be demoed in a hush-hush deal to build a "mini city" with high rises and 10,000 units. Luckily that was shut down.

Meanwhile the "Midway Rising" plan pushes forward for Sports Arena Blvd - 5000 more homes, and plenty of "big city energy" says Mayor Todd Gloria.

The same is eventually coming for your neck of the woods.
Empty cities just like China for investors to find capital growth!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Let me guess, this is where the vagrant encampments have been allowed to grow.
The area is full of homeless, many tweaking out of their gourds.

It seems like there's a ton of them on the streets in the apartment neighborhoods behind Mark's Guitar exchange now - I don't remember it being that way before - I had to walk a few blocks to a friend's place the other night and my spidey sense was tingling. Sketchy as f-ck.

Last edited:

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
30 minutes to the beach, but what a cool property-

That's property is why people retire to North San Diego county.
I'd say that property is more Fallbrook than Temecula. 40 minutes to OSide harbor, could be worse

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
That's property is why people retire to North San Diego county.
I'd say that property is more Fallbrook than Temecula. 40 minutes to OSide harbor, could be worse
Google maps said 30 minutes to O-side.

I was in Fallbrook once on the drive home from Anza Borrego. I thought, "Hey let's cut back over to the coast and get out of this heat." Got totally lost. And then it got dark. In the days before GPS. One thing I can tell you about Fallbrook is- there are not a lot of gas stations.:drowning:

Caca said the property is "tacky." Yeah there are a few details, mosty plumbing fixtures, I would change, but in this day and age of cookie cutter McMansions, anything that looks like it grew kind of organically, not to mention the context, is a breath of fresh air IMHO. Never having lived there I can't speak to the horseflies. The one concern I would have is fire.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Google maps said 30 minutes to O-side.

I was in Fallbrook once on the drive home from Anza Borrego. I thought, "Hey let's cut back over to the coast and get out of this heat." Got totally lost. And then it got dark. In the days before GPS. One thing I can tell you about Fallbrook is- there are not a lot of gas stations.:drowning:

Caca said the property is "tacky." Yeah there are a few details, mosty plumbing fixtures, I would change, but in this day and age of cookie cutter McMansions, anything that looks like it grew kind of organically, not to mention the context, is a breath of fresh air IMHO. Never having lived there I can't speak to the horseflies. The one concern I would have is fire.
Places like this with what ypu called organic floor plans "no code" can be fun but also pain in a$$ simple things like turning off h20 etc in certain area. Also fire comes and you need to rebuild forget ole ways might as well have track house installed.

• Dislike
Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I worked up tunnel road during jesusita fire and saw it first hand after many very ole properties burned down during fire.
Yeah. Life is risky. I missed out on this property because, for my wife who is an architect and has dealt with land and tenant questions, there were too many legal questions, but I still kick myself about it. 5 acres 20 minutes to the beach...

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Yeah. Life is risky. I missed out on this property because, for my wife who is an architect and has dealt with land and tenant questions, there were too many legal questions, but I still kick myself about it. 5 acres 20 minutes to the beach...

650k? That's surpising.

But yeah, it's kind of a glorified trailer in a canyon that will likely be at eternal risk of becoming a fireball. Not sure how much fire insurance would cost for a place like that, even if it's possible.

I scoffed at Fallbrook, Bonsall, etc (everything in that corridor East of Vista/Oceanside/Pendleton but West of the 15 as a young man. Growing up in Oceanside, "Go back to Fallbrook" was always a scathing call out. Now? Shiiiiiiet. I'd love to find a nice joint in any of those areas. A friend of mine bought a dirt cheap townhome 10-15 years ago by San Luis Rey Downs. Nothing special, but a fine started home for probably 100k or less. 5-10 years later he was able to buy a slightly nicer one not far away and rent out the first. This year he was able to buy a dope little house on some property out that way that will likely be the spot he raises their 3 kids. The original purchase has probably quadrupled in value in that time.

Granted, timing was key. He got married to a girl from out that way and (I have a suspicion) got some family help in grabbing the first house when it was affordable. But damn.

Last edited: