***Official Real Estate Thread***

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
here is latest I could find bot behind a paywall while looking for less than 5mins -

yes, this is 1yr not 3yrs but goes to show the variance across zip codes. Cherry picking a few winners as the example is not really 100% in 3yrs.

Reactions: grapedrink

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
yes, this is 1yr not 3yrs but goes to show the variance across zip codes. Cherry picking a few winners as the example is not really 100% in 3yrs.
I literally just showed you the overall data for Carlsbad and Encinitas that shows a ~100% increase in 3 years. What more do you need to believe it?

I wouldn't call that cherry picking.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I literally just showed you the overall data for Carlsbad and Encinitas that shows a ~100% increase in 3 years. What more do you need to believe it?

I wouldn't call that cherry picking.
no, you didn’t.

Enci SFH -
april 2019 = 1.5M
april 2022 = 2.24M

(all home types are 1.2M to 2M)

Cbad SFH
april 2019 = 1.1M
april 2022 = 1.9M

(all home types 895 to 1.5M)

none of these are “100% in 3yrs”. Yes, this is a REALLY high number in comparison to historical norms but it’s not 100%.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Wait until all these tech companies that aren't profitable have to deal with expensive borrowing costs.
on this one, I think more realistically the employees spent their stock options via margin loans to get the cash to buy their houses.

i think that’s where a lot of the non-institutional cash purchases came from if not from mom and dad.

how these margin loans work, I honestly have no idea. But I do have a friends freaking out over stock prices dropping and making payments on the interest to their margin loans that is their source of cash for their house or remodels.

Reactions: npsp and grapedrink

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
how these margin loans work, I honestly have no idea. But I do have a friends freaking out over the stock prices dropping and making payments on the interest to their margin loans.
If your stock price drops then the brokerage sells the stock to cover their loan. Which means you can lose a lot of money very quickly if you received the stock as part of an option at a higher market price than the margin call.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I think your side should assume some burden of proof as well. Have home prices increased 50-100% in many areas due to "fundamentals" such as wage growth, good economy, and in-migration or due to other factors? If other factors such as inflation and institutional investment are the drivers why do you keep yelling, "Supply and demand" and rule-out a drastic price drop if other assets become more attractive to institutional investors?
Because Hawaii is not a local real estate market anymore

It’s global

I wish it wasn’t, because it’s fucked up and it screws people here over, but it’s only not sustainable to the extent that global capitalism is not sustainable

Everybody complains about the mean disgruntled Hawaiians but if this were the Basque Country or Northern Ireland buses and cafes would be going kaboom every so often, just to keep motherfuckers on their toes

You just get attitude on your vacation

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Everybody complains about the mean disgruntled Hawaiians but if this were the Basque Country or Northern Ireland buses and cafes would be going kaboom every so often, just to keep motherfuckers on their toes

Just got back from the Big Island. A lot of those tourists looked (and acted) like they could've been featured on People of Wal Mart :toilet:

• Haha
Reactions: hammies and PRCD

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Name one market where there was a 100% increase in 3 years.
Umm, Tulips in the 1700's? Oh wait, how'd that work out?

There can't be an unlimited supply of cash to make housing purchases. Is that pool of money depleted yet? Who knows.

Boomers, are dying, and passing down sizable sums to their heirs.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Encinitas/105-Rodney-Ave-92024/home/4129469
- 50% increase in 3 months. My guess is the pending that shows no price means the RE cartel is trying to drive up interest in the property since the market is stalled.
OMG. I lived in that hood, in that model. To say it's 3 bedroom is pushing it. Our house had the biggest lot in the development. We bought in 95 for $190,000, sold in 2004 for $675,000. At that time, was the highest price ever in that hood. We felt bad, but money's money.

Good friend lived in this hood. It was built as a 55+ community. They say 3 bedrooms, that's because the garage has been closed off. LOL, this is a really bad price for this house.

Reactions: npsp

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Umm, Tulips in the 1700's? Oh wait, how'd that work out?
Yes, because a picked flower that will rot and die in less than a week, and provide no other value other than looking pretty for a few days, is a great comparison to a place that provides shelter and is fundamental for living a normal life. LOLZ

• Dislike
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Mine’s now at $1.05M. I remember when a million dollars seemed like an impossible amount of money, now it just sounds like a decent amount.
Source
1655310230863.png

It’s global

I wish it wasn’t, because it’s fucked up and it screws people here over, but it’s only not sustainable to the extent that global capitalism is not sustainable

I need to remember that line next time a tourist gets their car broken into at Fisherman's Wharf, Coit Tower, GG parking spots, Twin Peaks, etc.

And if it happens to me?

"Obama!!"

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

It’s global
Been like this for a while. Remember the '80s when the Japanese were buying up Hawaii like crazy?
Global capitalism has a long way to go until it evolves into complete oligarchy. And even if it does, the demand for vacation homes in places like Hawaii will remain.