*** Official Fin Thread ***

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Would like to put in a good word for True Ames. I ordered some fins from them and a shirt. Box ships pretty promptly, kind of good delivery prediction. Just shows leaving USPS Santa Barbara for a day or two past the delivery date.

I follow up with True Ames, it turns out USPS yeeted the box into the shadow realm or some such. Get started on the insurance, and they send me the fins and two shirts to be cool. Those rocked right up.

Fast forward a few weeks, apparently the original box was yeeted to Massachusetts, because it's totally on I-10 between LA and Duuuuval. Box shows up here. True Ames sends me a label to return it - thanks!

But the Jax Beach Post Office can't print USPS shipping labels. Found this out after spending 20 minutes in line on lunch break. Yay.

True Ames 5/7: shirts are comfy and fins are drivey. USPS/Jax Beach Post Office 2/10: only banged out of complete necessity. Shout out to UPS for printing the USPS shipping label.

If you want something large and swept the large True Ames Merricks are smaller than the gargantuan Carver XL and larger than the oompa loompa larges FCS2 has - if you are looking for seriously swept fins.

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
Does anyone know if the Timmy Patterson fins in Futures vs. Captain Fin Co. is the same template?

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Would like to put in a good word for True Ames. I ordered some fins from them and a shirt. Box ships pretty promptly, kind of good delivery prediction. Just shows leaving USPS Santa Barbara for a day or two past the delivery date.

I follow up with True Ames, it turns out USPS yeeted the box into the shadow realm or some such. Get started on the insurance, and they send me the fins and two shirts to be cool. Those rocked right up.

Fast forward a few weeks, apparently the original box was yeeted to Massachusetts, because it's totally on I-10 between LA and Duuuuval. Box shows up here. True Ames sends me a label to return it - thanks!

But the Jax Beach Post Office can't print USPS shipping labels. Found this out after spending 20 minutes in line on lunch break. Yay.

True Ames 5/7: shirts are comfy and fins are drivey. USPS/Jax Beach Post Office 2/10: only banged out of complete necessity. Shout out to UPS for printing the USPS shipping label.

If you want something large and swept the large True Ames Merricks are smaller than the gargantuan Carver XL and larger than the oompa loompa larges FCS2 has - if you are looking for seriously swept fins.
I've got a set of tru ames somewhere. I think they dont have fcs2. just futures and fcs1.

I should switch back to futures. they're cheaper and there's more options.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I've got a set of tru ames somewhere. I think they dont have fcs2. just futures and fcs1.

I should switch back to futures. they're cheaper and there's more options.
Yes, but FCS2 has a bad gap in their bigger guy swept fins. The JS are swept but kind of small for me. Two very good sessions in very user-friendly rippable waves but they felt a little insubstantial in windy, stormy, foamy, messy, chatter. The Carver XL are a bit XL.

I have a good range of FCS1quad trailers and I ride a shitload of quads in North Florida. FCS2 is fucking obsessed with these 80/20 quads and I'm sure they settle the board down once it's good enough to push a thruster anyway, but IMHO there is no substitute for a flat/inside foil quad rear for the purposes of speedmaxxxage.

Reactions: ehiunno and jkb

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Yes, but FCS2 has a bad gap in their bigger guy swept fins. The JS are swept but kind of small for me. Two very good sessions in very user-friendly rippable waves but they felt a little insubstantial in windy, stormy, foamy, messy, chatter. The Carver XL are a bit XL.

I have a good range of FCS1quad trailers and I ride a shitload of quads in North Florida. FCS2 is fucking obsessed with these 80/20 quads and I'm sure they settle the board down once it's good enough to push a thruster anyway, but IMHO there is no substitute for a flat/inside foil quad rear for the purposes of speedmaxxxage.
Interesting. I'm in north florida too and ride basically only thruster for anything above stomach high.

I'm 215lbs usually just use large carver fins for chest+, did just get some AM2s in fcs2 though.

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
Anyone try NVS’s take on the h4?

Reactions: Aruka

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Man.
I rode a set of those old blue Vector 2 thrusters with the hatchet trailer joints back in the day (they might have been called something else). It was kinda wild.

Cool moments, but very different feeling. Twangy

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Man.
I rode a set of those old blue Vector 2 thrusters with the hatchet trailer joints back in the day (they might have been called something else). It was kinda wild.

Cool moments, but very different feeling. Twangy
I still have a set of these somewhere. completely forgot about them. very weird.