*** Official Fin Thread ***

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Next time ask the shaper which fin he designed the board for instead of flipping a coin or at least check for shaper dots. Twins can be extra picky.

Reactions: sdsrfr

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Some don't know any better. They could be new to surfing or just grab a set because they think it looks cool. I've seen a number of reasons. You post saying you just got your first twin fish thingy board and wanted to know what fins to put in it without any sort of description of the board or pic. No possible way anybody can answer that with the details you left, than you delete the post. Guys are willing to help around here, but they can't work miracles. Sounds like you already got a set of fins so moving on.

Reactions: urchined

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
You're kinda worked up over a general question about what kind of twin fins people like for waist high surf. Agreed moving on.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Anyone have a set of NVS fascination quads they would want to part with?
I just sold a set of lost Seaworthys that I hadn’t used in years to Racer. Of course a few weeks later, I suddenly have a boar I want to try split keels in…

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Anyone have a set of NVS fascination quads they would want to part with?
I just sold a set of lost Seaworthys that I hadn’t used in years to Racer. Of course a few weeks later, I suddenly have a boar I want to try split keels in…
@trifish listed some a while ago.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
New Christenson fins out with Futures instead of Captain Fin co.

kinda interesting bc they’re completely different than the CF ones, at least the keels.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
glad I have a set with the centered keel base.

was never a fan of the old upright set. wonder if these are an improvement.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
New Christenson fins out with Futures instead of Captain Fin co.

kinda interesting bc they’re completely different than the CF ones, at least the keels.

Interesting, you think the template is different (besides the fin base placement)?

I'm the opposite - the centered fin base of the Captain Fin CC keeps never worked that well for me except in the Moonstone

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Recs for a large, neutral fin with Futures base? I’m eyeing the NVS below (mainly cause it’s on sale)

Currently running large, raked fins (R8) and looking to experiment with loosening some boards up a bit.

I've been digging the Futures Sharpeye L's. My normal thruster set is the DHD L and sometimes Jordy L or AM2's.

Usually when I go away from the more raked sets I feel like I miss the drive too much and it's not worth it, especially in a true HPSB with a narrow tail and some rocker. The Sharpeye's feel like just the right compromise for me. Definitely a little tighter arc but I've yet to feel like they lack drive.

Ridden them in the Disco, i72, Driver 2.0 round tail and Stamps Warhawk step up.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
glad I have a set with the centered keel base.

was never a fan of the old upright set. wonder if these are an improvement.
Never liked his upright twins, but his keels have been my fav keel by far. I've always found them to have a good mix of drive/pivot

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Interesting, you think the template is different (besides the fin base placement)?

I'm the opposite - the centered fin base of the Captain Fin CC keeps never worked that well for me except in the Moonstone
Says cant is 3 deg. Maybe a typo, base length isnt right either.

I think of the OG more like a semi/modern keel

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
I've been digging the Futures Sharpeye L's. My normal thruster set is the DHD L and sometimes Jordy L or AM2's.

Usually when I go away from the more raked sets I feel like I miss the drive too much and it's not worth it, especially in a true HPSB with a narrow tail and some rocker. The Sharpeye's feel like just the right compromise for me. Definitely a little tighter arc but I've yet to feel like they lack drive.

Ridden them in the Disco, i72, Driver 2.0 round tail and Stamps Warhawk step up.
Thanks! I deleted my op because I ended up finding a set of large Futures neutrals on my local FB for a good price. If they don’t work, I’ll definitely check out the Sharpeyes, they sound like the perfect balance.

Reactions: Aruka

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
12 days then stitches come out. Luckily the forecast period is shite.
Worst thing is waves were garbage and I shouldn’t have even gone out. Was an exercise paddle rather than a surf. Any way 6 stitches and a course of antibiotics should be all good in the shire (because my foot looks like it belongs on a hobbit with the swelling and the hair).
IMG_1581.jpeg

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
12 days then stitches come out. Luckily the forecast period is shite.
Worst thing is waves were garbage and I shouldn’t have even gone out. Was an exercise paddle rather than a surf. Any way 6 stitches and a course of antibiotics should be all good in the shire (because my foot looks like it belongs on a hobbit with the swelling and the hair).
View attachment 167038
Bummer, Pete.

Could be worse though?

Lemme guess, S-wing fin gotcha..

• Haha
Reactions: urchined