*** Official Fin Thread ***

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Just messing with you(Griffin template @5 3/8hx5b). Have you tried the Kenson template from NVS?
gotcha, missed it.

I was waiting for Sean to get back from vacation but in the meantime I ordered a bigger center fin recommended by NVS. I cant remember the set that sean recommended but I think I have the SK but in Future for my Stamps and like em

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
Can anyone compare the Shaper's Asher Pacey 5.59 (or 5.79) fins to any other common set of twins out there? I know that sounds like a stupid request but I have a 7' Townsend diamond tail and Album recommended the AP 5.59. I have a few sets of twin fins and I'm wondering whether the AP 5.59 are similar to maybe the T1 or True Ames or ENs? I just don't get to surf often enough to go the trial and error route. Or if anyone wants to recommend a set that works well in a Townsend, that would be much appreciated as well. Thanks!

Reactions: sdsrfr

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Can anyone compare the Shaper's Asher Pacey 5.59 (or 5.79) fins to any other common set of twins out there? I know that sounds like a stupid request but I have a 7' Townsend diamond tail and Album recommended the AP 5.59. I have a few sets of twin fins and I'm wondering whether the AP 5.59 are similar to maybe the T1 or True Ames or ENs? I just don't get to surf often enough to go the trial and error route. Or if anyone wants to recommend a set that works well in a Townsend, that would be much appreciated as well. Thanks!
I had a couple of townsends and 1 was a diamond tail. I liked the Album Gemini fins the most in that model.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
If you have ENs use those for most conditions. If it’s really big surf consider putting in TAs if you have those.

I used BMTs in my 6’6 and Hess keels in my 7’2.

Fwiw, the keels were on the 7’2 when bought it and I’ve never bothered trying anything else.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I haven't tried the AP 5.59's but for me the Townsend isn't super fin sensitive. Like, it's always worked and been fun with whatever fins I put in there. I tend to favor bigger fins for max drive but my longest townsend was 6-8. With a 7-0 you might end up not needing as much fin. Size wise the TA's are probably closest to the AP 5.59's. I'd start with the TA's and go from there. If you want more drive, try the EN's, if you want more pivot, T1's.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
T1 and AP 5.59 comparo. FWIW, the 5.59s are by far my favorite fin in all of my Album twins. I ride them in my 5'3 Plasmic, 5'4 LB and even my 6'2 Moonstone.

Last edited:

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I can help with the comparison, but in HS misc, all with the trailer fin in play:

vs T1 - longer, more drawn out turns, more hold, better carving. Doesn’t love surfing top to bottom as much as the T1.

vs Endorfins (with the bigger trailer) - again, longer, more drawn out turns. slightly less drive than the Endorfins.

in summary - they love carving and are great on a point break.

Reactions: Retropete

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
I remember somebody here has been riding and swears by some big twangy flexy twins but can't find where to get any. Interested to try a set in a twin egg I have coming. Was it @Retropete ?

I saw sanctumsurf has some but they want $40 for shipping. Anybody else make something similar? Soar discontinued them it looks like, and salty merchant only has fcs base ones that are sold out

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Yeah, I reckon Webber also does them. Have a look on his instagram for them. The big blue Sanctums are my favourites. They occasionally sell the Modii Volan ones in the next size down as well.IMG_1534.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sauce

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
Dang they match the color of my new sled too... I might have to cough up that shipping fee...

what are your dims? You think those larges would be too much fin for me at 6'0 , 180 lbs? Gonna throw them in a 6'6" egg

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
if yall are that scientific on waist high garbage surf i think you're tricking yourselves. flipped a coin between two that sounded right and ordered a set, fins are a lot of trial and error anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonardo