*** Official Fin Thread ***

NVS

May 1, 2020
San Diego, Ca
www.surfnvs.com
I can do that but tbh, I’m not interested in getting a set of fins anymore.

I knew other people here were interested in this template as well. Wether or not they’re still interested, I don’t know.

Email sent.
Replied to your message before seeing this post. No worries if you don't need them anymore. If you change you're mind in the futures we've got them templates ready to go for you.

Again, we're sorry we dropped the ball on the original messages.

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
I can do that but tbh, I’m not interested in getting a set of fins anymore.

I knew other people here were interested in this template as well. Wether or not they’re still interested, I don’t know.

Email sent.
What template was it? Maybe we van get it going again

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Replied to your message before seeing this post. No worries if you don't need them anymore. If you change you're mind in the futures we've got them templates ready to go for you.

Again, we're sorry we dropped the ball on the original messages.
Thanks Leif. I will keep you posted if anyone is interested.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Any advice on the best tools to shave down the bottom of a fin box. the rears of a quad are a little too high so the fin sticks up above the fin box. I don’t want to sand the fin base anymore because they fit fine in other boards. I’ve razor bladed the sides on fin boxes to make a little room but that doesn’t work on the bottom so much.

Reactions: JDJ

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Any advice on the best tools to shave down the bottom of a fin box. the rears of a quad are a little too high so the fin sticks up above the fin box. I don’t want to sand the fin base anymore because they fit fine in other boards. I’ve razor bladed the sides on fin boxes to make a little room but that doesn’t work on the bottom so much.
I find dremels useful for delicate things like that. Low power and easy to handle. I have lots of tools for heavier work, but i do find myself reaching for a small dremel more often than not for small things. Nice tool to have.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I find dremels useful for delicate things like that. Low power and easy to handle. I have lots of tools for heavier work, but i do find myself reaching for a small dremel more often than not for small things. Nice tool to have.
I've never had to do that, but I would've suggested a dremel too

Reactions: trifish

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
We wanted consistency in the glass and G10 is the way to get that. While stiffer than regular fiberglass panels we CNC foil them slightly thinner in order to keep the flex isolated in the top 1/3 of the fin. Most other fiberglass fins are foiled fairly thick or by hand so they tend to be stiffer than our G10.

Which set did you try?

EDIT: and what board were they going on?

dan man quad set (was OK but too stiff), doc keels (way too stiff), fascination twins (way too stiff).

dan man in mini simmons quad, doc keels in doc tur twin pin, fascination twins in stamps sultwinn, album sunstone, album townsend.

the flex patterns of normal fiberglass is way more forgiving and thicker foils works better in weaker waves like we get in socal.

if u offered the option of normal fiberglass, you guys would corner the market. as it is, i'm selling off all my g10 fins. never again.

Reactions: chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
dan man quad set (was OK but too stiff), doc keels (way too stiff), fascination twins (way too stiff).

dan man in mini simmons quad, doc keels in doc tur twin pin, fascination twins in stamps sultwinn, album sunstone, album townsend.

the flex patterns of normal fiberglass is way more forgiving and thicker foils works better in weaker waves like we get in socal.

if u offered the option of normal fiberglass, you guys would corner the market. as it is, i'm selling off all my g10 fins. never again.
+1 for NorCal here.
Maybe make the fins even slimmer, I weigh 230 and ride high volumes, still are just too rigid. Your fin range is commendable, why not offer in all materials?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I like the NVS G10, especially for twin fins. Fascination twins. Knox Twins. Doc Tallboys. All good. I live in the PNW but travel to places with softer waves and have no issues.

I think compared to the foil of most fiberglass twins, the NVS G10 have a more continuous taper from base to tip which gives them a flex that I like. Some fiberglass twins can be pretty thick throughout and only thin out near the tip.

For thrusters I still prefer honeycomb, for whatever reason. Maybe it's just hard to overcome 25 years of muscle memory or maybe I just haven't found the right template.

There is definitely a noticeable difference in stiffness when you compare two identical templates. AM2 in G10 feels like so much more fin compared to the AM2's in honeycomb.

Reactions: chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I like the G tens that came with the Album fascination asym, but always wonder if I would love in another material