*** Official Fin Thread ***

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
What's the story with Stretch's HC fins only being available in a medium: Can bigger guys get away with these? Or is everyone on the glass versions which I assume are larger?

Last edited:

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Anybody try these Chemistry twins? Marketed as: "Responsive Twin for high performance twin fin surfboards"

They look similar to the Shaper AP 5.59s that I currently love, except these have more base, less height and a little more area overall.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I have a Sharpeye Disco that I've never had the right feel with. Tried several sets of fins and could get it where it was OK but not great. Yesterday I tried a set of the cheap plastic FCS large Carvers in it and that was exactly what the board needed. Cheapest fins you can buy practically. Go figure.

Capture.JPG

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
I have a Sharpeye Disco that I've never had the right feel with. Tried several sets of fins and could get it where it was OK but not great. Yesterday I tried a set of the cheap plastic FCS large Carvers in it and that was exactly what the board needed. Cheapest fins you can buy practically. Go figure.
Not sure how the latest iteration of the Disco is, but I had one of the first variations and the only fins that ever worked in it were large FCS Performers in honeycomb.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My disco is fairly fin agnostic. Great as a quad. Great as a thruster. Balanced or raked templates, no worries.

Reactions: JDJ
Jul 21, 2018
Carver Aircore M and surprisingly the YU techflex work. I have a few disco disco cheaters ok and 72 77's . Only one i was giving up on was the HT not the HT2 in futures. I could not get it to work for the life of me. To neutral of a board that would not give me any drive. Felt like a boring log. The Futures p6 finally made it come to life. A reason I was trolling the forums in a forever search for any information on what fins people are /were using.. I tried it at Rockpiles Laniakea Sandys Lighthouse and a few other differing style/kind of waves on Oahu long after a sane person would've tossed/CL it.

All the Sharpeyes seem very wide stance neutral and it was odd coming from Lost boards. I think a lot of surfers that are heavy back footed will find the board strange and the foot placement evern stranger but if you are going into an Air stance the sharp eye boards keeps driving with no hesitation. Also when you do a snap in hard lips with a heavy water push down to flats.
A lost will 'catch the trough' and stop for a second throwing you over or making you work while the Sharp eyes push/float trough much better.

I still am getting used to the models but see more advantages then disadvantages . One hurdle being the crazy sensitive fin searching and the more forward rear foot/pad placement. I grew up surfing some boards with my toes gripping the tail to get even more drive out of a snap (before tailpads). Many of The Sharp eyes will come to a stop if you did that. You literally go front foot weighted to "climb a wave " or at least neutral where on other boards you lean back and push /manhandle the board into the climbing portion for a snap under the lip. There is bit of finess with the boards interesting enough but I like brutal turns and snaps so there is as I said some work to feel out the boards and find fin foot placement.

The exception seems to be my 'tube pig' the ok model with a swallow tail. Magic

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Moving away from FCS2. The system itself is great but the fact that FCS has exclusivity over snap in fins, the limited availability of templates relative to futures compatible base, and the insane price inflation for fins that are not made in Aus, has turned me off.

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
Moving away from FCS2. The system itself is great but the fact that FCS has exclusivity over snap in fins, the limited availability of templates relative to futures compatible base, and the insane price inflation for fins that are not made in Aus, has turned me off.
there are a few board models in particular that I think require FCS2 to perform best (in particular the RNF96), otherwise I'm futures all the way.

Reactions: Havoc and JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Futures isn’t perfect. They eliminated a ton of the shaper templates and have far too many “surfed designed” fins.

But it’s easy to buy from other manufacturers. With FCS, it’s either buy their fins or use the older two tab design.

Last edited:
Reactions: cjs2002