*** Official Fin Thread ***

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Has anybody tried Drab fins? Specifically the Mikel twins?
They just released a larger size and I'm tempted.
I havent tries those. I have the drab twins which are twangy and fun in small waves which I like and the keels which are 80/20 foil and did not thrill me. Build quality on both is very good. Let us know if you try these.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
do how do i tell the difference in ride characteristics of all of the album upright fins?

shapes, nvs, futures, etc. etc.

what is the best one for the townsend?
I doubt anyone has multiple sets to compare. I posted screenshots of the various dims a few pages back and was surprised they were all slightly different.

Reactions: Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
do how do i tell the difference in ride characteristics of all of the album upright fins?

everytime I think I know what someone is talking about j get confused with another acronym.

seems many many of the album fins are subtle tweaks with no real difference to joe average the suffer to allow multiple distribution channels to claim an exclusive.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC

They are ranked on a scale from milky to creamy to buttery. It’s a 1-10 ride scale, with most fins falling between a ride number of 4.4 to 6.5, as in somewhat milky, somewhat creamy, and somewhat buttery. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Advice, what’s the go to adjustment for a thruster set up that feels like the tail has a little too much turbulenc/lift. Amt are my default. is it better to go less raked set up or just larger trailer?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Advice, what’s the go to adjustment for a thruster set up that feels like the tail has a little too much turbulenc/lift. Amt are my default. is it better to go less raked set up or just larger trailer?
just to clarify, you say thruster set up but then you say Amt which are twin+trailer set up.

Do you mean your go to is the AM2? If so, I'd try something more neutral with all 3 fins the same size. F8, Sharpeye L, JJF L, Mayhem L, etc.