*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This isn't advanced math, gentlemen. I took the number on the right from the worldometer and compared it to the number in red in Kento's chart. The only math I needed was, >, <, =.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The advanced mathematicians are all crazed lunatics on the verge of sending bombs in the mail anyways. You're better off. Just pray that PRCD doesn't have your home mailing address.
I think we should promote a rock fight between PRCD and Havoc where they are judged on both accuracy in both marksmanship and plotting the area under the parabolic path.

Then we all drink.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I think we should promote a rock fight between PRCD and Havoc where they are judged on both accuracy in both marksmanship and plotting the area under the parabolic path.

Then we all drink.
Brilliant!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kento

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Here's where she got the plot. The data is yesterday's. It's not even averaged over a week:
View attachment 88541

Gee, is there an effort to spread panic and lie with statistics?
What kind of curve do you want me to fit? Linear, Exponential or (hopefully) Gaussian? Scientists have no monopoly on extrapolating data.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
It blows me away anybody is still arguing about whether or not this is a big deal.

Average suicides in the US per day - about 100

Average auto crashes per day - close to that

Average gun deaths - also close to that

None of those things are going to stop. They are what we already live with. We are just going to pile on oh I don't know, 400-500 more from this, with social distancing, and quarantines in place. Without that, potentially 3,000 deaths a day? These are the rough numbers the administration and its science and healthcare consultants are saying. In a Republican, very business friendly administration that in normal times is willing to rim job the Chamber of Commerce for free.

It's a big fucking deal.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It blows me away anybody is still arguing about whether or not this is a big deal.

Average suicides in the US per day - about 100

Average auto crashes per day - close to that

Average gun deaths - also close to that

None of those things are going to stop. They are what we already live with. We are just going to pile on oh I don't know, 400-500 more from this, with social distancing, and quarantines in place. Without that, potentially 3,000 deaths a day? These are the rough numbers the administration and its science and healthcare consultants are saying. In a Republican, very business friendly administration that in normal times is willing to rim job the Chamber of Commerce for free.

It's a big fucking deal.
Even if we don't care about those people dying, those fuckers are going to choke up the health care system for those who don't fall prey to the virus.

I was skating in the back alley last night drunk.

What if I broke my arm?

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

Then we all drink.
I definitely think this is how world leaders and congressmen need to start settling their differences. We cracked down on dueling after Aaron Burr shot Alexander Hamilton, but maybe it's time to dust this idea off again.

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I definitely think this is how world leaders and congressmen need to start settling their differences. We cracked down on dueling after Aaron Burr shot Alexander Hamilton, but maybe it's time to dust this idea off again.
Especially if it went something like this:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Especially if it went something like this:

Is the French guy in WW an AI of the giant ball AI?

When people talk to him, they are in virtual reality talking to the the AI French guy that is really the AI in the giant AI ball?

Didn't they say he was dead?

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Even if we don't care about those people dying, those fuckers are going to choke up the health care system for those who don't fall prey to the virus.

I was skating in the back alley last night drunk.

What if I broke my arm?
You don't need ER for broken arm. For as great as this country is, we sure aren't good at thinking outside the box.

People out of work? Sign up for the USA COVID CORE Recovery group. You will have the opportunity to travel to the desert where it is hot and dry to build temp hospitals. Once hosptials are built, you can stay hired on for logistical support.

Airlines shutdown? How about they get tasked with flying the sick out to said temp hospitals. Same for bus companies and even UBEr and Lyft drivers can get in on this.

Any COVID patients in dire circumstances get flown or bussed to said temp hospitals freeing up the hospitals for what they were intended for.

This leaves a healthy workforce to keep doing what needs to be done to run the country.

Now, the people scared to go to work or out in the community for fear of getting sick can sign up for the new delivery service. This certified delivery service provides gorceries, meds, or any other necessities. They get delivered by a driver in full PPE and all goods get run through a UV light for disinfection.

This delivery service also provides jobs.

More thinking like this and less OMG people are dropping like flies and the economy is in the toilet.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Casa,

Did you see patients like this in January and February? I think it's implausible that we're just seeing this in our country now. I had symptoms in February as did many people I've talked to. Doctors have said this has been a bad year for the flu and RSV which have overlapping symptoms with COVID. What are the odds that COVID has been going around long before we started testing for it?

EDIT: See this CDC chart showing a normal flu season. I would think COVID would follow the same pattern unless there is strong evidence to suggest otherwise:
I'd say that it is very likely that covid was in the country by early February, but because we weren't testing for it, there is no sure way to know. And I would expect it to behave like the flu per your chart. Given that this has been a warm winter in much of the country, I would expect that it will start subsiding fairly quickly, particularly with all of the social distancing in play now.