Official Bird & Nature Post

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com

Swinhoe's white-eye. AKA: Japanese white-eye. This one in my backyard tree.

These things are everywhere now. Cool looking little birds but an invasive species. About the size of a hummingbird but just a little bigger. And noisy and aggressive and never sit still enough for a photo.

The white-eye is widespread and common in Japan, considered one of the more dominant bird species. In spring 2018 there were several sightings of Japanese white-eyes in Southern California, with confirmed breeding in San Diego County as of 2019.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~

Swinhoe's white-eye. AKA: Japanese white-eye. This one in my backyard tree.

These things are everywhere now. Cool looking little birds but an invasive species. About the size of a hummingbird but just a little bigger. And noisy and aggressive and never sit still enough for a photo.

The white-eye is widespread and common in Japan, considered one of the more dominant bird species. In spring 2018 there were several sightings of Japanese white-eyes in Southern California, with confirmed breeding in San Diego County as of 2019.
They're called Majiro's here in Hawaii ~ flighty lil buggers just zipping around all day in my avocado tree.

Reactions: Q_Surf and keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
They're called Majiro's here in Hawaii ~ flighty lil buggers just zipping around all day in my avocado tree.
I did not know that. Thank you sir for that intel. I did know that they were an introduced species in Hawaii and have now somehow made it to the mainland. Survival of the fittest I guess.

Some intel on this bird...

At about 4 inches, the mejiro, or Japanese white-eye, is very common in Hawaiʻi. A fast-moving green bird, their white eye rings makes them stand out. They are omnivorous and feed mostly on insects and nectar. Mejiro were first introduced to Hawai’I in 1929 to help control insect pests but they are now the most abundant land bird in Hawaiʻi and may even compete with native birds for food.

:shaka:

Reactions: PPK96754

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I did not know that. Thank you sir for that intel. I did know that they were an introduced species in Hawaii and have now somehow made it to the mainland. Survival of the fittest I guess.

Some intel on this bird...

At about 4 inches, the mejiro, or Japanese white-eye, is very common in Hawaiʻi. A fast-moving green bird, their white eye rings makes them stand out. They are omnivorous and feed mostly on insects and nectar. Mejiro were first introduced to Hawai’I in 1929 to help control insect pests but they are now the most abundant land bird in Hawaiʻi and may even compete with native birds for food.

:shaka:
Mynah birds, Common grey doves, Kentucky Cardinals and Brazilian Cardinals are the most common birds that are found in Hawaii besides the roadside chickens. :loser::loser:
And the Shama Thrush, which has a beautiful warble, melodic type song.

Last edited: