Official Bird & Nature Post

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
PS
Seeing a fair number of Black-headed Phoebes and California Towhees to go with the usual house finch and house sparrows, a curious dusty yellow bird that reminds me of some kind of wren (due to the body type 'plumpness'), but it could be a type of warbler. Don't know much about identifying which birds are which.
Yes, Red-shouldered hawk. Beauty!
The dusty yellow bird sounds like a Orange-crowned Warbler. It's the right time of year for them and have seen several down here of late.

Reactions: Joshua2415

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
^ Getting out the bird book.

Hmmmm, the book says it is the most common of the western warbles, and now is peak migration...but the bird book guide I have shows the bird in question a bit more yellow-green than that one I saw, though I am looking through a dirty backyard window in wan light.

Image in the bird book like this:

1604961828403.png

And like:
1604961348509.png

Image with same name that more closely matches the bird (body type and color) in my yard (and the following picture is pretty much it):

1604961524470.png

Ok, if we can trust the internet and keenfish, then it makes sense to me that the curious dusty yellow bird is the Orange-crowned Warbler and not some kind of wren.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Alright keen, Coopers, Sharp-shinned or other?

Jax Beach, this fall, 300 yards from the beach. Something online said something about the size difference between the two, and that was the best clue I could find in the short looking I did. It said one of them was the size of a Blue Jay and I was thinking, this thing would murder a Blue Jay without trying.

DSCN2359.JPGDSCN2366.JPGDSCN2371.JPG

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
^ Oh man.. it's nearly impossible to tell the two apart especially the young ones like this one.

Based on what little I know I'm leaning towards a Cooper's hawk just because the markings and color just feel more Cooper's in this case. could be completely wrong but that's my best guess.

Nice photos sir. :cheers:

Here's what the audubon website says in case you are interested.

https://www.audubon.org/news/a-beginners-guide-iding-coopers-and-sharp-shinned-hawks

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
so forty minutes ago, i was minding my
own business, sprawled on a bench, on
the princeton campus. there’s a little open
space, surrounded by trees, across from the
art museum. in this space there are 6
other benches and big lawn chairs, all empty.

one of the local fauna decide to dump
its bike next to me and execute a series of
suggestive poses...

nature is wonderful.

95E75CF9-41B9-41BC-8402-F667418339BB.jpeg

lotsa birds here too...

Last edited:
Reactions: keenfish and Subway

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
^^ should have been more transparent, photo taken on the last visit to Mom on Oahu.
*Side note, grew up with much different looking lizards, Anoles. Much sleeker, bigger/longer. Couldn't say when these replaced those. Hot summer night entertainment was watching those anole feast on flying termites on the screen doors.