Official Bird & Nature Post

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
2 days ago, wifey saw a bobcat running across the road in front with a rabbit in jaws. Neighbor across the street saw bobcat with similar markings yesterday with a big bluejay in it's mouth. Then, this morning, was out in the backyard with the new puppy, and saw a bobcat walking through our neighbor's yard, about 20 yrds away. Good size, 40-50lbs, light brown/tan with dark markings. Couldn't get to phone for a pic but it seems to be hanging around.
Dude, you gotta get a pic of that thing! Would love to see it.

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
It's either a western fox snake or a bullsnake...they are very similar except the bullsnakes are much larger at 7' or larger. This one was about 4 - 4 1/2' long and was difficult to distinguish based on the photo. It moved along into the bushes once we stopped the truck to get a closer look and try to get it out of the road.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^^^
what's up, boyz?!?
There are simply some fabulous wild~life here, posted recently, in this thread!!!

i hope that my lil' 2¢ can add~in, yea!
So, that said, "TGIF" + i f'n' launched" today, hahaha...

some of ya know that i'm kinda into sharkz, sharkz, near~shore, that will some~times jump, breach,
outta thee local waters off Los Angeles, doin' so, with-out some kooks in a boat towin' a seal decoy,
ala "air jaws", right?
you know it...

it's been a tough Corona virus year, for me to do my sheee~it, {just like it has been most erBBer'z too!}
been not so many fish on thee loc' reef, too much sand. But things are lookin' brighter, i saw 3 jump a coupla dayz ago,
6 yesterday, missed pix of 'em all, but dig this, "Thank Goodness It'z Friday + i f**kin' launched" my lil' research 'yak today,
for i got my 1st good sequence of thee year 2020, 1 outta 2 breaches, photographed this mornin', yea!

my face is sunburnt, feet hurt too, body crispy, lips blistered,
but i'm a lil' stock~ed, wright now,
hahaha!
:jamon:

hope ya can dig thee pix below,
for what they are, a juvi L.A. GWS airborne!

also, i'm gonna share some~thing else,
you can now see a screen grab~ie, too, of my meta-data, from today,
for allll ya F**Kerz that STILL think what i do is fake,
like some~one, whom surfs, here in L.A.
said to me yesterday, pfffft!!!
l8z, rw
:cool:

LA Surfpix~01a.jpg
+
LA surfpix~02.JPG
+
LA surfpix~03.JPG
:shark:

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
^^^^^
what's up, boyz?!?
"TGIF" + i f'n' launched today, hahaha...

some of ya know that i'm kinda into sharkz, sharkz, near~shore, that will some~times jump, breach,
outta thee local waters off Los Angeles, doin' so, with-out some kooks in a boat towin' a seal decoy,
ala "air jaws", right?
you know it...

it's been a tough Corona virus year, for me to do my sheee~it, {just like it has been most erBBer'z too!}
been no so many fish on thee loc' reef, too much sand. But things are lookin' brighter, i saw 3 jump a coupla dayz ago,
6 yesterday, missed pix of 'em all, but dig this, "Thank Goodness It'z Friday + i f**kin' launched" my lil' research 'yak today,
for i got my 1st good sequence of thee year 2020, 1 outta 2 breaches, photographed this mornin', yea!

my face is sunburnt, feet too, body crispy, lips blistered,
but i'm a lil' stock~ed, wright now,
hahaha!
:jamon:

hope ya can dig thee pix below,
for what they are, a juvi L.A. GWS airborne!

also, i'm gonna share some~thing else,
you can now see a screen grab~ie, too, of my meta-data, from today,
for allll ya F**Kerz that STILL think what i do is fake,
like some~one, whom surfs, here in L.A.
said to me yesterday, pfffft!!!
l8z, rw
:cool:

View attachment 96184
+
View attachment 96185
+
View attachment 96186
:shark:
Rwrigtht, I love your pics...but hate them too. I'm frequently in those waters, often just at first light, and knowing what lurks beneath is not really healthy, if you know what I mean....

I can't quite figure out where that is. Gladstones?

If I sat there all day would I eventually see one breech? Or are there times of the year/day, conditions that favor their presence?

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Fantastic! Great Horned Owl I believe. We just had a clutch at Bolsa Chica. The nest was above the main trail which I thought was weird but there they were. I got some shots but nothing all that good.
That is really cool. Not very often do you see an Owl.

Reactions: Joshua2415

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Fantastic! Great Horned Owl I believe. We just had a clutch at Bolsa Chica. The nest was above the main trail which I thought was weird but there they were. I got some shots but nothing all that good.
That is really cool. Not very often do you see an Owl.
STOCK! Yeah, looks like a small Great Horned Owl. Seen a few flying through Ponderosas, but nothing this AWESOME! Might never get that good of a look again. Saw what might have been a Barred owl while river floating last spring.

Reactions: keenfish

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Well, well... after 5 years of fleeting glimpses! Was at my MIL's house moving stuff this AM and saw this beauty. He/she was just hanging around for about 10-15 minutes. I was in awe!
View attachment 96399
I woke up one morning to find this one in the branches right over my tent down at Mercy hot springs south of Hollister. owl2.jpgowl.jpg

The reason why was this: Kind of lucky I didn't get my face ripped off looking back. I took these pics standing up at eye level, no telephoto/zoom.

owl1.jpg

Last edited:

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
It's rare to see an owl out in the day. Especially when they hold their ground. I'm guessing there was a nest really close by you didn't see.

That chick in my photo was about the size of a football.