Official Bird & Nature Post

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Awesome. How long did you go for? I have permits late this month but am not going to L. South America, but would love to (different lakes). Also, we're barely out of May, it must have been freezing there at night? Did you see any bighorn sheep?

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Awesome. How long did you go for? I have permits late this month but am not going to L. South America, but would love to (different lakes). Also, we're barely out of May, it must have been freezing there at night? Did you see any bighorn sheep?
That was a 5-day trip, back in August of '09...August is the best month for the Sierras. On the second day, the day we went over Forester, we were so beat that we looked down the other side and could see a small lake below and said 'that's where we're camping tonight!'. It was very cold there, even in late summer. Didn't see any bighorns, but on a day hike I got this photo of a nice mule deer cruising the high meadows.fullsizeoutput_33e.jpeg

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
John Muir is one of my major heroes for sure, also Norman Clyde. There's a cool little museum in Independence with a Norman Clyde exhibit. He had over 100 first ascents in the Sierra and it wasn't with the good equipment we have now.

Reactions: PPK96754 and afoaf

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Got some milkweed growing in the backyard this year and the Monarch butterflies are thick right now.

The cat kills a bunch of them because he hangs out there by the milkweed plant. Little sh!t!

This is a male. Most species you can't tell the difference but these you can. Any guess on how to tell?

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
Got some milkweed growing in the backyard this year and the Monarch butterflies are thick right now.

The cat kills a bunch of them because he hangs out there by the milkweed plant. Little sh!t!

This is a male. Most species you can't tell the difference but these you can. Any guess on how to tell?

We have a few milkweed plants in the back yard and have tons of monarchs right now. I see some black dots...

Reactions: keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
We have a few milkweed plants in the back yard and have tons of monarchs right now. I see some black dots...
So this one got caught by the cat but I thought it might be able to make it.
I put it in a flower pot so the cat couldn't get back at him but after 3 days he was still alive but not getting any better.
I was super bummed so I called a buddy and told him and he said you have to do the right thing...
He said since it's not recovering you need to give him a proper Viking warrior send off which he deserved for such a valiant fight.
After all it was the honorable thing to do for such a strong warrior so that's exactly what I did.
RIP little buddy......