Official Bird & Nature Post

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Speaking of bats... I have got them in my belfry! Every summer, they are out, and have sought refuge in the windless nooks and crannies of the outside of the house. I'm all for them eating the bugs and in general, although they can be filthy animals. Unfortunately, they took up residence behind a recessed light right above the front door, leaving droppings right on the door step. Used a fan blowing on the area (recommended by the removal guy, who said: 1) bats are protected between May - Oct. so even touching them isn't allowed, it would be $375 for him to come out to look, and the paperwork/matched with follow ups from certain state agencies, would be a hassle!!). Finally put some screen over the openning, checking it, and letting one out, then stapling it on.

And, after finally getting the lawn furniture out, they roost right over the couch, leaving droppings. They have all kinds of linear feet of roof to go to, and they go right over the couch. Going to use expandable foam to fill in their hideyhole.

Anyone else have ideas for how to love bats and how to keep them from roosting in a certain area?

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Speaking of bats... I have got them in my belfry! Every summer, they are out, and have sought refuge in the windless nooks and crannies of the outside of the house. I'm all for them eating the bugs and in general, although they can be filthy animals. Unfortunately, they took up residence behind a recessed light right above the front door, leaving droppings right on the door step. Used a fan blowing on the area (recommended by the removal guy, who said: 1) bats are protected between May - Oct. so even touching them isn't allowed, it would be $375 for him to come out to look, and the paperwork/matched with follow ups from certain state agencies, would be a hassle!!). Finally put some screen over the openning, checking it, and letting one out, then stapling it on.

And, after finally getting the lawn furniture out, they roost right over the couch, leaving droppings. They have all kinds of linear feet of roof to go to, and they go right over the couch. Going to use expandable foam to fill in their hideyhole.

Anyone else have ideas for how to love bats and how to keep them from roosting in a certain area?
Build a bat box

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Pocket camera shot from an urban hike up to Mt Davidson.

Both photos from the shoulder of Mt. Davidson, looking east. In 2nd photo, you can see Hunter’s Point behind the red tail hawk on the power pole. It stayed there a good long time as we switch-backed our way up, so I got a few good shots from different angles. These two are maybe the most in-focus. The one with the bay view and gantry crane shows an abandoned housing structure over the hawk’s left shoulder (our right). It is abandoned because it full of low level radioactive contamination.

Hey, remember those South Pacific A-bomb tests? The Navy placed a few ships nearby and wanted to see how well they did and if they could (easily) be made service ready if they were damaged. They towed some of these back to the navy base at Hunter’s Point and proceeded to try to decontaminate/renovate ‘em.

In the process, The workers staying at the base in the housing structure ended up tracking back radioactive scraped paint and whatnot back to the building. So besides dumping contaminated crap onsite and then burying it (only to start being cleaned up in the 80s through now) and putting it into 55 gal barrels (then taking said filled barrels out to the Farallon Island off the coast of SF and dumping them in the ocean and when seeing them not all sinking, shot them up with the .50 cal…so yes, minor radioactive waste in rusted out barrels leaking off our coast).

Hawks and a history tale.

Edit: As far as I know, the whole decontaminating thing was a failure in the end.

Edit2: More on the decontamination efforts here (click me).

Last edited:

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Build a bat box
Update from under the Wayne mansion:
Thanks for the tips guys! Already have a couple bat boxes up, they just aren't liked by any bats. Was able to at least displace the ones that were tucked into the roof tiles pooping on the wifey summer couch. Used bubble wrap and stuffed it up there. Seems to work so far, and there are still plenty bats around to eat the bugs.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
^ - Give them time to find the new housing. Took me about a 4-6 months to get humming birds to sip from the feeder, meanwhile our neighbor's feeder 7 homes away was seeing daily hummingbird fights. The raccoon (just guessing) eventually pulled down our feeder and chewed it up so it doesn't hold sugar water any longer.

Reactions: HarryLopez

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
2 days ago, wifey saw a bobcat running across the road in front with a rabbit in jaws. Neighbor across the street saw bobcat with similar markings yesterday with a big bluejay in it's mouth. Then, this morning, was out in the backyard with the new puppy, and saw a bobcat walking through our neighbor's yard, about 20 yrds away. Good size, 40-50lbs, light brown/tan with dark markings. Couldn't get to phone for a pic but it seems to be hanging around.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I'm seeing baby quail chicks for the first time. There must have been a couple dozen of them and they ran under the deck so fast I couldn't get a pic. They are almost exactly like ducklings that follow their mother around in a cluster. Saw them this AM on the way out and again they were too lightning fast. Time for the trail cams to be put into place.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I'm seeing baby quail chicks for the first time. There must have been a couple dozen of them and they ran under the deck so fast I couldn't get a pic. They are almost exactly like ducklings that follow their mother around in a cluster. Saw them this AM on the way out and again they were too lightning fast. Time for the trail cams to be put into place.
Those are edible!

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
^ - Give them time to find the new housing. Took me about a 4-6 months to get humming birds to sip from the feeder, meanwhile our neighbor's feeder 7 homes away was seeing daily hummingbird fights. The raccoon (just guessing) eventually pulled down our feeder and chewed it up so it doesn't hold sugar water any longer.
More than anything Hummingbirds lock in on bright/day glo colors not floral shapes. I saw one fly past a brightly painted fire hydrant and slam on the brakes to check it out. So? So take some day glo flagging tape and attach it to and around your feeders. Guaranteed to work.

Cant wait to be in a place where I can hang feeders again. Those little fuckers are so rad. I love when they start scrapping. Some of them migrate/fly across the Gulf of Mexico. Gnarly.

Reactions: Q_Surf

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
It's not for everybody, but that fat rattler there makes for some good eatn'.
Got a friend that has 20 acres on top of Rincon Mountain and occasionally goes on a round up.
Rattle Snake tacos are unreal.

Reactions: npsp and keenfish