May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Reactions: Hump

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Here's an encounter between three wolves and one black bear on a beach here on Vancouver Island.

The photographer knew the wolves were around and had seen the bear foraging at low tide, so he set himself up at 5:30 AM in a likely spot and this is what he got.

After lots of lip smacking and teeth clacking the wolves decided to leave the bear alone and retreated back into the bush.

Click on pic to enlarge it for best view.
BearWolvesOnBeachBrianTexmo.jpg

Photo by Brian Texmo.

Take care.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Here's an encounter between three wolves and one black bear on a beach here on Vancouver Island.

The photographer knew the wolves were around and had seen the bear foraging at low tide, so he set himself up at 5:30 AM in a likely spot and this is what he got.

After lots of lip smacking and teeth clacking the wolves decided to leave the bear alone and retreated back into the bush.

Click on pic to enlarge it for best view.
View attachment 179924

Photo by Brian Texmo.

Take care.
I had no idea there were wolves living on Vancouver Island. That is incredible. Would have never guessed that.

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
I had no idea there were wolves living on Vancouver Island. That is incredible. Would have never guessed that.
Wow, I'm surprised at that.

I've heard them, seen them and talked to people who have encountered them both north of Tofino when camping, and others on the inside coast of VanIsle north of me.

I think they are considered a sub-species and are identified as "Coastal Wolves" in articles about them. To my eyes they appear more slender and long legged than one is used to seeing when looking at wolves.

20 Years ago, I had my fly rod get flipped out of the canoe riding in the back of my pick-up on the way down a bush road from the lake we had been fishing. We discovered this at 11:00 PM upon getting home. I wasn't ready to go back then as I had to be on the road early for my job, but my buddy decided to catch a couple hours sleep then head back out to look for the rod. The road was lightly used so the rod was unlikely to have been run over.

He found the rod, but on the way up the road a small pack of wolves (Five) ran across the road in front of him.

After finding my rod and turning around he was stocked to see them again.
He was very excited when he brought my rod back just before I hit the road, and one could hardly blame him.
Did a good deed and got a very neat reward/experience.

I used to hear them howling when I worked at Port Renfrew, and that's quite a way south of the Tofino area, so they either cover a large range or there are more of them than we think.
My rod story happened just out of Campbell River about 10 miles or so, so they are all over it would appear.

Take care.

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
One of these guys landed on our neighbor's roof the other day. It's astounding how large they are in person. My dog lost her sh!t and growled at it through the glass doors. The bird is about 3x the size of our dog. :monkey:
There are tons of them here in the harbor at my office. A few years back, one meandered into the side door of the office, got scared and flew thru the office. I heard one of my employees scream and I looked out my office door just in time to see her hit the deck behind her desk and this bird fly over her and into the window of our copy room office. It then walked across the office and was jumping up into a solid window trying to escape. I had a fleece jacket hanging in my office, so I took it and went up behind the bird and covered him up from behind, then carried him outside and let him go. He squawked at me and then flew away. The thing looked like a pterodactyl flying thru the office.