*** Official 2024 Community Surf Journal ***

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Desperation session today. KH-WH and onshore. Kept expectations extremely low and managed to catch 3 waves that made it worth the hour session. 80 air 70 water

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
So I think I'll weigh the pros-and-cons of keeping it. It's an Album. it's a Varial. It's pristine - except some foot wells already - and pretty. I'd entertain some reasonable DM offers, but other than that, I guess it'll sit in the quiver for at least one more session. But at this point, I'm not attached to it.
Sell it to a hipster at a markup now that varial is unobtanium. Then get a nice CI thruster.

Or burn it in the cove.

Reactions: sh3 and PRCD

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Screwed again, by my optimism. Oside was walled but I paddled out anyways. 1 hour of battling the current, dodging close out sets and getting swept through the pier.

One guy said to me, "there's a couple out there, but you gotta work for it. Water is cold. Current is pretty bad. Kinda walled on the sets. But there's a couple". Yeah... sure guy.
sounds like me in this am in HB. looked like a couple lefts holding up but by the time i got out, it shifted off that bar and it was a closeout drift a thon. was struggling on the flare tbh. wrong board for all the paddling that i had to do. ultimately went in empty handed cuz it was time for work

motosurf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 19, 2008
Drove north of Point Conception for a surf. Cold water but beautiful sunshine.

Ran into someone I swear must've been from the erBB - which one of you was it? I had my 5'9" Album Insanity with me (and I was thinking I had a 5'10"), now with a quad set up. He talked about having a Bom Dia and and Insanity which he loves as a twin plus trailer. Super nice guy with his dog. Told him I wasn't impressed after my first session on the Insanity. Was hoping this session made me feel better about it.

So session two today - Nope. Still not impressed. Rode it as a quad using Album's made-for-this-board fins and it definitely worked better. But it was just kinda 'meh' to me. Made me miss my CIs. Weird. I really really wanted to like this board and was hoping today would be a huge step forward. Instead it was just a small step in the right direction.

Now for the disclaimers: (1) The guy riding the board is me. 53 years old, 4 shoulder surgeries, a back surgery, and only 1 year out from full shoulder reconstruction. (2) The waves were good sized, but soft-ish. Weird lack of power for this spot. (3) The board made some great late drops when I thought its lack of nose rocker would poke through the trough. Didn't. Rocker worked well. (4) I'm not a quad guy exception super small conditions and/or super big conditions.

So I think I'll weigh the pros-and-cons of keeping it. It's an Album. it's a Varial. It's pristine - except some foot wells already - and pretty. I'd entertain some reasonable DM offers, but other than that, I guess it'll sit in the quiver for at least one more session. But at this point, I'm not attached to it. Someone tell Album Matt to buy it back from me.

-sh3
Surfed the same spot. Plenty of size but it was funky mush burgers for the most part but there were a few steep drops. Found a few reforms. Just a couple guys and my son who’s recently been demoted to dickdragger when it’s big He’s only 12 and has been struggling to get waves when it’s solid. Got him a real sponge and some fins. He surfed all winter and made about 3 waves and was starting to get frustrated. He had a huge smile on his face the whole time.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
got a few good waves today before the bald dipshit decided to sit exactly where i was sitting
thats right about when the wind switched to crap it out

Reactions: need 4 speed

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Scored Blacks well overhead yesterday mid day. Still fairly clean and only 15-20 guys out. Pretty stocked!

Reactions: motosurf

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
started pretty fun, with tricky positioning
was alone gettin decent waves for maybe an hour
then came the shitstorm of kooks, right as tide got too high as swell was dying. t
took forever to get that crappy wave in
but ive got a few good waves in my memory banks
one left was like a block long, but all i did was pump

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Surfed down the street around 11am this morning as the tide was still backing out and the wind was still light offshore. No one out, KH-WH: 80 Air 72 Water. Sat and waited for a bit when I first got in, but after about 15 minutes the sets started to show and I managed to get 6-7 fun peelers for about 30 minutes. After that, someone turned the switch off and the waves disappeared and the wind swung onshore.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Saw myself surfing on video for the first time ever. On a friend’s surfline cam rewind thingy after a garbage beach break surf. I’ve heard it always feels better than it looks on film…but i was like “nah, that’s not me, they’re moving so fast…oh, shlt, it is. Hey, i kinda rip!”
making that not so mini simmons look like an OG flyer
:roflmao:
Good thing I didn’t see any of the sessions where i surf like a drunk baby giraffe. Quitting while i’m ahead and never watching again.

Reactions: Woke AF and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
46F water and twenty minute lulls. tide went from flooded, waves barely breaking, to drained and closed out in what felt like the blink of an eye. oh well. at least the weather is absolutely gorgeous.

Reactions: doc_flavonoid