*** Official 2023 Community Surf Journal ***

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I slummed it up in OB this morning at first light. Surprisingly fun. I dont think I have surfed Avalanche in 8 years. Maybe 10.

Reactions: need 4 speed

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
yesterday got a couple but not really worth mentioning. the seal following me was
today i actually got a few with like 5 turns and felt the feeling of ripping again
ps: i repositioned the rear fin boxes on my dwart (closer to rail) and it absolutely surfs better now

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
surfed twice today,which isn't a usual thing for me anymore, rode the keel fish mid morning when I had a window, then added some volume and surfed the kenson twinzer 7'2 this afternoon, waited for sets and picked out some good long ones, water got warmer for second session too.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
yesterday got a couple but not really worth mentioning. the seal following me was
today i actually got a few with like 5 turns and felt the feeling of ripping again
ps: i repositioned the rear fin boxes on my dwart (closer to rail) and it absolutely surfs better now
Nice work. Yeah, R. typically likes those quad rears closer to the stringer.
pics?

Reactions: bluengreen

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Afternoon low tide sesh at the best sandbar around. Head high sets. Lotta young rippers trying to crack the lip and boost end section airs. The right was really fast, so had to takeoff and gun it. Got one really good one. Crowd was kind of aggressive, but I have long arms and dad strength, so more of a nuisance than a problem for me.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I had images of small NCSD on the mind for this week. Alas, sick kids and low motivation hav cancelled those plans.

There are waves out front, but family time has my windows pretty meager.

I had a window around mid day and went for it. The tide was swamped and there were some decent burgers to be had, but then closeouts that would clean out the outer bar, and a rip that was half ab lock wide, made for some mental math that didn't provide much ROI.

I went south a 1/2 or so and thought I saw a smaller, but cleaner left in a zone I've never really surfed, but often drive by on the way home. I paddled out, it had potential, but the incoming tide swamped it out. I caught three, pretty much bottom tur' ned to nothing, and came in. I was happy to get wet, but the feeling of " man, if the tide was lower and the wind stayed light...

Then a friend sent a video from this afternoon and it was kinda pumping. :bricks:

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
The wind has been onshore here 15-25mph since last Wednesday. Been jonesing to get in the water, so I gave it a shot yesterday morning and it was definitely not worth the effort. Head high drops that fizzled out to nothing. Tried it again this morning because it looked more manageable with less wind, but 10 minutes after I paddled out a squall line came through and the wind was all over it again FML. Not sure what's worse...when it's dead flat and you know for a fact you can't surf, or when there's waves, but it's so sh!tty that it's not worth paddling out for, but you do it anyway.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Pretty much prime conditions today and everyone knew it. Hell, Surfline is still calling it pretty good. Sunny, light offshore to no wind, ssmedium West swell. I even had trouble parking down the street. Unfortunately there was a bit too much tide. I counted at least 50 guys in a block, spread out burgery with a side of double up on the inside bar block. I drove to check down the beach on a prayer, only to land back where I started. I took way too much board out because guys were talking about the current and there were a lot of soft takeoffs where I figured I wouldn't mind the paddle power.

I got 3-4 waves in an hour and pretty much bottom turned once on each of em, so it wouldn't have mattered if I was on a shortboard or a step up. Not much gold to be had. They either shouldered off or closed out. Too much water for the swell to do much more than cap on the outer bar, then wall up and close out on the inner bar. It looked like down the block a bit had a few smaller, decent ones when I was getting out. I'd imagine if you had 2-3 hours you'd find something worthwhile. A friend said he got a few fun ones after I got out. It'll probably be fun this afternoon/evening. It might have gotten better with a touch MORE water. Who knows. You either lucked into a moment when your bar worked or you didn't.

My highlight was paddling back out after a closeout and duckdiving two in a row that doubled up on my head. The first one looked bigger and it shot me straight up and through the back. The second one pushed the nose down and kept me there, pretty much face down down until I nearly touched the bottom and came to the surface feet first. Nothing great but it sure is a beautiful day. It's nice to see the NW wind stop after 6 months.

Last edited: