*** Official 2023 Community Surf Journal ***

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
paddled out mid mornign and it was bumpy lumpy but def'ly more size than the wknd. chest+ on the sets. first 30 mins kinda sucked then the wind stopped, the tide dropped, and these clean glassy peaks started rolling in. combo swell goodness. got one wave where i got a bottom turn with my hand touching the water and got a nice top turn then repeat. last wave, shoulder high wall, some longboarder paddled over and tried to backpaddle me so I stuffed him and had this clean perfect glistening wall in front of me and i laid into one of the best fs roundies in ages, tagged the foam, pump to the inside and smack the end section. best wave in a long fking time. sometimes u win.

edit: nice cigar and a coke on the drive home to trigger aruka

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Been a very ordinary Summer/early Autumn here. Plenty of really small days. Very little action on the points. I've been waiting months for a hernia operation. Got the surgery date for the 28th. Swell filled in today. I'll be 4 weeks or more out of the water during recovery. Said to wifey as we walked back to the van today after a pre-surgery consultation at the hospital I will be surfing my weasely black guts out for the next week and a half.
Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 8.13.22 pm.png

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Went straight from a crown fitting at the dentist this afternoon (thank god for nitrous). Saw one guy out and it looked better than it has in days... by that I mean: waist to stomach high, onshore, dumpy with a few possible ragged corners. Short stop-start rides, mostly just a chunky drop, maybe a turn or two. The left was probably lining up slightly more, but of course I continued to force the right. Even when I could string together a section and manage a cutback or slash, it was pretty tough to bridge the gap through the middle of the break to connect to the inside half of the wave. Frustratingly close a couple times. Also a lot of lumps and steps in the face- tripped me up a few times. After about 10 min of two of splitting waves, 5 more guys paddled out. Ah well, plenty of choppy peaks for everyone.

DA Superchunk caught everything I paddled for and was fun and skatey despite the crap conditions. Hard to tell if it's the boar design or the lightweight CF build (or combo), but man, the boar seems to react so quickly that it's almost like I have more time to decide what to do than usual. A few times after standing up or a finishing a hack, the chunky onshore conditions would kinda hold me up at the top of the wave, almost creating a split-second pause... before I would stomp the front foot down and zoom back down. Not sure if I'm describing it right, but it's happened a couple times before on this boar, and it seems an unusual (almost awkward) move.. but also feels kinda rad to initiate that turbo boost of speed. I dunno kept things interesting. Boar is spicy.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Spent all of last week in N NSW, surfing clean HH to OH Point and thumping beach break. Crystal clear ~75F water, bright sunshine, clean offshores. Thank you FR and crew for having me. (Very hard not to look at real estate ads and plan and scheme).

First surf at home yesterday. Paddled the 8'0 15min to the inner sandbar and caught two average waves before paddling another 20min against a strong rip to the outer sandbar, where I caught another two average waves. Back to the inside, where the rip was now even stronger, to catch one more average wave. 1.5hr of paddling, 5 meh waves, one solid workout.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Same springtime slop as yesterday but bigger and punchier. Terrible shape and lumpy closeout sets. Rode the PunkSanity but not much could be done with what was on offer. Lots of duckdiving. Got some exercise I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc and sdsrfr

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
C-grade SC reef/point this AM (which was D-grade mostly today). Still, no crowd, a beautiful sunny, chest high and relatively calm wind wise day compared to the straight garbage i've been mostly lucking into for weeks. didn't check but first peek, what's this, a someone working one over, smooth roudhouse, blue board, yup JKB ripping it up per usual!
Been trying to weed out some of the quiver and today was last chance for Mandala quad fish(due to stiff turning), actually expecting wasn't going to get a good chance but low and behold i got one almost all the way, in the open faced felt drivey and positive of top and bottom, a round house and a few carves on that one, a couple so so tweeners and then got an inside nug had a nice soft lip waiting, hit and right into another closeout lipper. was stoked but very cold so called it, but She's a keeper.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
C-grade SC reef/point this AM (which was D-grade mostly today). Still, no crowd, a beautiful sunny, chest high and relatively calm wind wise day compared to the straight garbage i've been mostly lucking into for weeks. didn't check but first peek, what's this, a someone working one over, smooth roudhouse, blue board, yup JKB ripping it up per usual!
Been trying to weed out some of the quiver and today was last chance for Mandala quad fish(due to stiff turning), actually expecting wasn't going to get a good chance but low and behold i got one almost all the way, in the open faced felt drivey and positive of top and bottom, a round house and a few carves on that one, a couple so so tweeners and then got an inside nug had a nice soft lip waiting, hit and right into another closeout lipper. was stoked but very cold so called it, but She's a keeper.
Mandala Redemption Story

Reactions: chilly1

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Pasted from the Album thread:

I just got back from a weeklong trip in Costa Rica (Playa Guiones and Playa Grande). I brought my Lightbender (winged) and Twinsman but ended up riding the Lightbender the whole time with a set of Shapers AP 5.59s. The waves were fun but nothing epic...mostly stomach to head high with some slightly overhead sets at times. Basically average for there, but would be best days ever at my local. Long rippable walls with some steeper and some mushy sections and the occasional section to blast.

The Lightbender was the perfect board for these conditions. It cruised through the mush with ease and still held when laying into a steeper face or section. I’ve also come to realize the Shapers AP 5.59s are my current new favorite fin for the Bender and the Plasmic. They have yet to do me wrong. Was able to get some nice full wraps in tight/steeper sections with no slippage.

LB dims: 5'4" x 19.75" x 2.32" (about 29L)
My dims: 5’10 160 lbs