*** Official 2023 Community Surf Journal ***

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Swell dropped a couple feet. varial phantom: right boar for waves, wrong boar for crowd. 20 loccs outside, another 10 randos including one frothy brazzo who got yelled at a couple times for droppin in.
Got 7 WH-CH waves in an hour. 2 of them behind someone. Another 2 I had to kick out in front of someone. In neither scenario did we run into each other… Just sayin, @ReForest LOL

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Swell dropped a couple feet. varial phantom: right boar for waves, wrong boar for crowd. 20 loccs outside, another 10 randos including one frothy brazzo who got yelled at a couple times for droppin in.
Got 7 WH-CH waves in an hour. 2 of them behind someone. Another 2 I had to kick out in front of someone. In neither scenario did we run into each other… Just sayin, @ReForest LOL
I think this was first time long time Surfline said it was safe to surf. lol. ridic crowd for the time, for me.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I was thinking 7 in an hour in that situation was great til you mentioned the party waves. SUcks. Nice day though. You seem to be liking that phantom. weight feels good in venerial
He's a big thruster guy now! QS tour coming soon.

I think this was first time long time Surfline said it was safe to surf. lol. ridic crowd for the time, for me.
Same. It actually got more crowded the later it got into gentlemans hour.

Got a few fun ones at the beach before the current wore me down. I think I'm surged out.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Complete shocker this afternoon. Tried surfing a left that ive been scoping out for a while. It was fairly clean looking but by the time i got out there the wind was up a notch or two. First thing I did was paddle deep for a mid sized one. I missed it and then took a 5 wave set on the head. Sat wide after that and watched what looked like some nuggy deep ones roll through but I didnt chase. Current was ripping and i got sucked too deep anyways. Sets were kind of bombing and i felt undergunned on my 6-6. Battled the current and paddled in circles for over and hour and never really managed to get one that I was happy with. Got into a couple but they sort of fizzled out after the drop.

The highs and lows of surfing around here.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Complete shocker this afternoon. Tried surfing a left that ive been scoping out for a while. It was fairly clean looking but by the time i got out there the wind was up a notch or two. First thing I did was paddle deep for a mid sized one. I missed it and then took a 5 wave set on the head. Sat wide after that and watched what looked like some nuggy deep ones roll through but I didnt chase. Current was ripping and i got sucked too deep anyways. Sets were kind of bombing and i felt undergunned on my 6-6. Battled the current and paddled in circles for over and hour and never really managed to get one that I was happy with. Got into a couple but they sort of fizzled out after the drop.

u use those chitty fins again?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

Jeez. I don’t feel as bad about my frustrating morning sesh now.

snuck in a quick redemption sesh before sunset. Had picked up P2 from Oside today so had to give it a go. More people out than this morning. Total circus. But I spied some fun wedges sneaking through the pack when guys weren’t able to connect through the fatter middle section. Stuck to the inside wedgy right and had a blast on the racetrack.

Oestized P2XL dims (5’11x 20 x 2 11/16, 34L) felt good in hand and paddling. The curvier outline felt more familiar than the Phantom, rocker felt better than MiniGhost- my plan is for it to replace both. Ran it as a quad and it did what I wanted it to. Feet always felt like they were in the right spot, no funny moments, couple fs snaps & carves that felt nice. Boar gave me hope that I can/should actually ride a pointy nose SB sometimes! Promising maiden voyage.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Noontime session, sheet glass, and still quite a bit of energy in the water although lully. Chasing ghosts again,a few solid waves around but difficult to be in the right place at the right time. Got a couple on the new 6-2 basalt twinzer, hardly even a shakedown session.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Rare weekend sesh, even rarer dawn patrol. Met a buddy in NCSD. WH-CH groomers. Wind blowing strong up the face made it tough to paddle in- everyone was missing waves that looked like they should jack up perfectly. Wind went from offshore to sideshore to onshore. Pulled into a few closeout sets. The in-betweeners were more lined up, but a little slow/ sticky than I expected. Got a few turns in on the P2XL. Conditions not as good as yesterday but boar feels good. Quad: JJF larges with 3.75 rears.