***Official 2021 Community Surf Journal***

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I think it was 67 yesterday. I was surprised when I checked today, tbh.

im gonna offend more by insinuating I’ll be wearing a 4/3 in San Diego in August.
66+ is vest non front zipper and trunks temp or a least during day time full sun :shrug:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
My got a little brain freeze this morning. I am not ready for cold water just yet.

Reactions: teeroi

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
almost worth surfing today, after 4 days of not
wore fullsuit, knew it got colder
hands and feet cracked off like icicles
I have high standards too, I went out. Wore my regular 3/2, water was cold. Ever had an ice cream headache? LOL, not today, but I was getting handaches from the cold. It's not that it's freezing, but compared to the air...

Lifeguard girl said low 60's, with some hot pockets. One of the guys that was at Cracks said it was way warmer than where I was sitting. I asked the lifeguard if she would give someone a extra time to become safe before making a save, she laughed.

Paddled out to Boulders tonight, for the incoming tide. I wanted to go to Cracks, but there were two duu's out, too crowded. Waves were, maybe, waist high, maybe. The big move today was the "redirect". Still, had it to myself, until a man and 12 year old son paddled out on the hotel rental boards. I was eyeballing em the whole time, but once I saw the paddling ability, not a factor. But then they tried to 000 me, sitting 10 yards inside of me. I turned around, and made a parting motion like Moses and told em it's a big beach. There's literally nobody else for over 50 yards in both directions. I can't hear chit, so then turned back around and said I didn't want to run into them, they moved over, cool. Kinda dick move, but my intuition was telling me the kid was going to get in the way on my next wave. When the waves suck, there's not much margin between a ride and sinking.

Last wave was the best, actually generated speed and did nice rebound off the closeout. Stock! I got one solid turn in!

On the beach, dad says, "that was really good!" or something. We started chatting, yep, staying at the new hotel. He admitted to the rentals, I told him I'd seen others, so I knew. They're from Santa Barbara, says the hotel is nice, and the restaurant is good. Have to get wifey down there soon.

for BR - I told em, to go South two staircases, much easier, more rideable waves at GrandView. I also told em about Cancun for tacos, and to take his wife to Le Papagayo, where all the hot ladies go.

for Teeroi - no jellyfish, none
for lilibel - Better than Rat, barely

for Kento - you would have only been impressed if you trunked it, make it macho style.

for Doc Flav - talent on the beach was good

for most of the rest of you - Happy hour would've been a better call

Funny chit - It's been really hot, with heavy fog right up to the shoreline. From being in the car, my wax is toast. Paddling out today, my deck felt like frozen grease. Decent fingernails for the save.

Last edited:

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
still down in ventura. first surf in a while, took out the 10' log. would've been happy with anything but I thought there was more swell than there ended up being, got my hopes up. was pretty mixed up and not connecting. but it was a pleasant, low-skilled crowd. tried to smile at people, caught a few and then went in. all I needed!

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
Got a few today despite lockdown. The crowds weren't too bad due to the inconsistency of the swell but every now and again a decent shoulder high set would come through. Managed to be in the right spot a few times and got a few runners on the Fiji which handled the conditions beautifully. It paddles well, gets in early and lets me set my line before the waves race off. So far I have sorted out a nice bottom turn which feels great but need to get used to the extra length coming from the top. I feel like the board is going to go well when there's barrels around.

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Got a few today despite lockdown. The crowds weren't too bad due to the inconsistency of the swell but every now and again a decent shoulder high set would come through. Managed to be in the right spot a few times and got a few runners on the Fiji which handled the conditions beautifully. It paddles well, gets in early and lets me set my line before the waves race off. So far I have sorted out a nice bottom turn which feels great but need to get used to the extra length coming from the top. I feel like the board is going to go well when there's barrels around.
Be grateful that you can surf at all during lockdown. We were banned for like 2 months straight! a red boat chasing you out of the water, a helicopter, then cops chasing you on land. It was like something out of a post apocalyptic bad dream movie only it was REAL!

• Wow
Reactions: Tomay and ReForest

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
what's hilarious is that you think the water is colder where you live than down here.
Never claimed that and I born and raised in Goleta consider Santa Barbara County Southern CA:shrug: OC and SD get a good 10 degrees warmer normal year then 805 but this year winds have not stopped since 2nd week of January and upwelling keeps happening and stuck with 2mm short sleeve full:monkey: I am not the only tough guy duffy posted yesterday he surfed SD with long sleeve vest and trunks but he also can beat tyson:drowning:

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Observation point up here says 59-60 lately. Surf has been sh!t last couple weeks and haven't even bothered. Had to pull off a 6" x 2' section of deck glass by the stringer of my 6'6" to let dry out before doing a more comprehensive repair than I usually do. It will be nice to go into the fall with boards that aren't waterlogged to hell and back.

Short-arm full material but I would bring the 4/3 + boots in the car just in case. Especially with 30+ NW winds coming back again.

1628100240246.png

Reactions: MathDebater

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
less rubber isn't tough guy...iots just appreciating the living sh!t out of the fact we get to play in the ocean and feel it.
This is what I am talkin' about and why wear more rubber then you need? Never understood wearing booties in 60+ h20 with out a sharp reef near by:drowning: