*** Official 2020 Billabong Pipe Masters Thread ***

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
The irony that WSL came to town, closed the beach from Ehukai to Off The Wall (because it's their film set, they have a film permit), then sat in their high and mighty beach front houses only to have 5 of them, including the CEO, get infected. You can't script this.
I have never seen the beach from Pupukea to Rockpile as crowded as it was last night (sandbars were good too). Like Waikiki. And besides the lifeguards, almost no familiar faces.. Between the WSL fiasco, cheap plane tickets and rental cars, and the state handing money to work from home tech douches, this is getting ridiculous. My naturally sunny disposition is cracking.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah I was looking at Italo's IG to see if there was any info about his Carbon board, went to his tagged posts and there was a bunch of Brazilians taking selfies with him and video interviewing him on the beach at OTW, no masks or self distancing.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Also vans doing a digital triple crown for a month from December 20th to January 20th? 125 pros competing (filming) at Sunset, Pipe and Haleiwa? Thanks Vans. Invite more traveling pros here to consume our resources and crowd the lineups.

I don't surf Sunset, but I do like to surf Haleiwa and occasionally Pipe.

Imagine doing this in San Clemente? 125 additional pros to come and film at Lowers, T-Street and Uppers for a month?

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Also vans doing a digital triple crown for a month from December 20th to January 20th? 125 pros competing (filming) at Sunset, Pipe and Haleiwa? Thanks Vans. Invite more traveling pros here to consume our resources and crowd the lineups.

I don't surf Sunset, but I do like to surf Haleiwa and occasionally Pipe.

Imagine doing this in San Clemente? 125 additional pros to come and film at Lowers, T-Street and Uppers for a month?
It's a joke. Just cancel this sh!t already. Our kids can't go to school right now. People are pissed, and hurting, and Vans digital Triple Crown will help no one. I predict lots of bad vibes.

Also, there are pros who will leave to California and other places for the holiday and come BACK for the Sunset contest. They'll get testing waivers from the state, guaranz. Such bullshit.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
testing on departure/arrival doesn’t work by itself. You need to do the 5days isolate then retest to sift out the ones who were exposed too close to the first test if you want to cut the numbers.

14 days aren’t needed but more than one test is if you want less cases in the wild as a metric to reopen.

Reactions: Havoc and JBerry

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
testing on departure/arrival doesn’t work by itself. You need to do the 5days isolate then retest to sift out the ones who were exposed too close to the first test if you want to cut the numbers.

14 days aren’t needed but more than one test is if you want less cases in the wild as a metric to reopen.
It's pretty simple.

But the people running this country are dumb as fvck.

We're living under a bunch of stupid, arbitrary rules and kids are STILL being kept home from school.

Like I've always said, America sucks.

• Love
Reactions: Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
apparently more PCR tests at UCSD medicine than all the other UC medicine campuses combined. distributed waste water detection too. positive poop test notification within 24hrs and everyone in that building takes a test with results in 6hrs.

no wonder they’ll be re-opening come fall while many others flail in an open close open close mindset.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Also, there are pros who will leave to California and other places for the holiday and come BACK for the Sunset contest. They'll get testing waivers from the state, guaranz. Such bullshit.
I didn't even think of this when I saw the two events. I assumed people would stay here, but it's Christmas and NYE, so yeah everybody is gonna go home and then come back. That should be chill, right?

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Just stumbled upon this live with Filipinho on Instagram, such a treat. He's showing pipe and all the action around it, talking to the guys about the waves (showing every pipe/backdoor and even off the wall waves). Watching it right now.

Some Julian (wilson??) just texted Filipinho saying they will try to run heats today.