Off To Look For America

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Haven't picked up any hitchikers yet?

They're pretty essential for long road trips like this.

Love the randomness of it.

Love meeting all types of people.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Why the rush?

Stop off for some hookers and blow?
:shrug:
Im officially over all the driving and have a lot to do when I get home especially because as winter ramps up snowboarding will eat up a lot of my time. I’d still like to visit Las Vegas sometime relatively soon so I’m saving the H&B for then I guess

Haven't picked up any hitchikers yet?

They're pretty essential for long road trips like this.

Love the randomness of it.

Love meeting all types of people.
No hitchhikers yet. The Hobo Kid was looking for a ride S and I contemplated offering him one but I’d rather not have to worry about him freaking out and stabbing me while I’m trying to drive.

The people I’ve met have been the highlight of my journey

Heading off into Comanche territory soon and the pictures will hopefully be epic

• Haha
Reactions: ghostshaper

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
No hitchhikers yet. The Hobo Kid was looking for a ride S and I contemplated offering him one but I’d rather not have to worry about him freaking out and stabbing me while I’m trying to drive.
:roflmao:

But seriously, contrary to popular belief most people are not out to murder strangers.

Reactions: Chocki

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Are there even any hitch hikers? I never see them any more. Been years maybe decades. "Thumbing" was how we got home from the beach when I was in high school. Longest ride I ever thumbed was from Cervinia (the Matterhorn) to teh Stubaier glacier in Austria. Different times.

Reactions: sickdog
As someone from Portugal who moved to the US 4 years ago, married a New Yorker and lives in NYC, I have always wanted to explore the 'real America' and get out of this bubble. In 2020 I managed to drive from NY to Miami and I really loved encountering all the different microcosms, accents and foods. Made me realize we're all good people, trying our best. This thread made me relive those moments. I love this country.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
As someone from Portugal who moved to the US 4 years ago, married a New Yorker and lives in NYC, I have always wanted to explore the 'real America' and get out of this bubble. In 2020 I managed to drive from NY to Miami and I really loved encountering all the different microcosms, accents and foods. Made me realize we're all good people, trying our best. This thread made me relive those moments. I love this country.
Don't miss the Southwest- I would say Arizona and Utah have some of the most sublime landscapes on earth. Well, there's California too.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Are there even any hitch hikers? I never see them any more. Been years maybe decades. "Thumbing" was how we got home from the beach when I was in high school. Longest ride I ever thumbed was from Cervinia (the Matterhorn) to teh Stubaier glacier in Austria. Different times.
We get them in Colorado especially when the CDT hikers are passing through. Was stocked to get to give one a ride up the pass but bummed bc he had no epic backstory just a dude from Denver who’d already done the PCT

B8A429D2-63C5-4AF8-AFCF-729208A977E2.jpeg

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Just drove through Roswell NM. It was crazy windy there. I literally had to hold onto the door of my truck with both hands after I opened it to keep the wind from ripping it out of my hands. Been battling a head wind ever since.

1667591186753.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Doof

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Ended up getting detoured around Roswell so I didn’t get to buy space weed or eat lunch there. Next place to eat was a Subway hours later at a gift shop gas station. I probably shoulda bought fireworks too.

Made it to Santa Fe for rush hour and everyone drove like I remembered, ie like crackheads/wicked erratic but I made it through unscathed and in good time.

Thought both routes N went through the same epic countryside but it’s only the Taos one and I took the other, but it was after sunset so no pics either way but it did cost me some coin, more on that later but it’s a hilarious and fitting end to my saga.

For rn, NM truly is the land of enchantment and chill people along with erratic and quite possibly drunk drivers. Theyve got signs on the side of the road with the # to call to narc on someone

3D810DB1-5484-47FC-936E-25BC6200F1F7.jpeg

D4F919CA-3B09-4DB4-A90B-45E3DB2A0C6E.jpeg

E8F08259-8571-4E04-A32A-9533942EC4DE.jpeg

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I also was reasonably sure I had pics already from the time I did the Taos route it was epic
A) because the scenery
2) If you are so inclined and I am you can set the cruise control for as fast as you want through the Santa Fe National Forest

A8EE9518-1846-4660-82D1-168DF9C17ADF.jpeg

E8AE0B57-A95D-4FE0-A153-F820421C6A8C.jpeg

FF2CBEC3-21A6-458A-9688-F36B1989DA99.jpeg

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
My adventure concludes with me meeting one last really nice person. A NM cop.

The ironic/hilarious part is up to that point is tried exceptionally hard to be aware of and obey municipal speed limits. But I spaced the 55 sign and got pinched just outside the last “town” before home.

Dude was exceptionally well concealed down on the left side of the road in a little hollow facing up the hill coming into “town”. I knew I was busted even before he put on the flashers.

Along with my ticket we ended up talking about trucks and tires after he asked how I liked my F150 and Cooper AT3s. He’d just got a Tundra and was looking for some new rubber. I think he also really appreciated how hard I tried to make his life easier by shutting the engine off, rolling the windows down, keeping both hands on the wheel, when asked for DL reg and ins stating where they were and asking for permission to get them etc. We ended things with a fist bump after he told me to slow down because of wildlife.

And to top it all off because NM lets you register and drive anything with wheels the dude driving the used shuttle van with no tail lights (at least the brake lights worked) I passed previously drove by as I was getting my ticket. You see the jankiest vehicles ever on the road in NM. Like ancient little beater pick ups with no doors or floorboards to speak of or a really crappy hippy van being driven by a really dirty hippy with the side and back doors tied open and a hippy dog about to fall out.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
When I worked in Arizona, on my first visit back home, I crossed the stateline heading towards Needles and promptly got a speeding ticket. Welcome to California.

So you live in New Mexico? How do you even surf? Not that that matters on this website.

ps Now I know why you snow surf so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
When I worked in Arizona, on my first visit back home, I crossed the stateline heading towards Needles and promptly got a speeding ticket. Welcome to California.

So you live in New Mexico? How do you even surf? Not that that matters on this website.

ps Now I know why you snow surf so much.
I’m just over the border in CO but it might as well be NM sometimes. This area has its sketchy dirty hippy janky vibe/side. That and a lot of Texans. After Mom passed I didn need to be on the East coast anymore so I went looking for somewhere out west that was cheap and treed, steep & deep and stumbled onto this area via YouTube. Its not without its many hassles and headaches living here but you get the mtn all to yourself and for six months of the year you don’t miss not surfing anymore. Not that I was ever a surfer, I was just a garbage man.

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Sister in-law lives just outside of Albuquerque in the foothills, called Placitas. Drive down to the Park n' Ride and jump on the train to Santa Fe. Nice place, kind of swanky in it's own way. Sis in-law texted they got a light dusting of snow the other morning and it was 33*.
Headed there for Christmas & New Years. Festival of Lights should be pretty cool again this year.
And btw, Mahalo Plenty for taking us all on your journey. T'was truly fun and enlightening with the verbiage and photo's. :applause2: :cheers:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Sister in-law lives just outside of Albuquerque in the foothills, called Placitas. Drive down to the Park n' Ride and jump on the train to Santa Fe. Nice place, kind of swanky in it's own way. Sis in-law texted they got a light dusting of snow the other morning and it was 33*.
Headed there for Christmas & New Years. Festival of Lights should be pretty cool again this year.
And btw, Mahalo Plenty for taking us all on your journey. T'was truly fun and enlightening with the verbiage and photo's. :applause2: :cheers:
No worries bro. It gave me something to do at rest stops etc and I figured the erBB might be entertained.

WV was the standout of the trip in terms of states I hadn’t been too and I look forward to going back.

Whoever gave me the weather heads up reminds me of a previous trip. I was driving back west passing through some god forsaken southern city (bc of their drivers) unfortunate during rush hour and it’s a nightmare. Then because there’s a tornado producing system nearby the skies open up and it starts raining harder than I’d ever seen it in this country. At least 8-10” standing water on the road and no visibility bc its raining so fucking hard the rain is bouncing up and producing 3‘ of mist over the road.

And to top it off, no one changed their atrocious driving. They were still tailgating mercilessly, switching lanes erratically, street racing, etc. It was completely fucking insane.
Id have pulled over and waited it out if I was on open highway it was so bad.

Thats rad you will be with fam in NM for Xmas. I love NM/there really is something special about it and the 4 corners region in general. I’d have liked to stop in Roswell but it would be like living in a head shop that Alien is everywhere, everywhere bro.

The swank is not really here yet but it will be inevitability but when and to what degree bc of the lack of airport more than anything?