Off To Look For America

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Decided to head the furthest S I’ve ever been and will be passing through Alabama and Louisiana en route to Dallas before turning N again.

In reg VA now, Rural Retreat to be exact and if you ever have the option to eat at something called The Dutch Pantry etc you should. Best sandwich ever and now I’m loaded up on homemade junk food. The Amish back in PA knew how to make some dank junk food so…
9DFD1675-164A-43F0-BF6D-BDDEA969F39D.jpeg

VA rest stop scenery
42D64DCC-8720-41D4-B977-A8187B45BE24.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: One-Off and Subway

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Omg I forgot how good Amish junk food was (wasabi peas, peanut butter pretzels, mini milk chocolate peanut butter cups, and pizza snack mix). Yoder’s Country Store was advertised later and I bet it was just as righteous.

Driving through Knoxville and Chattanooga made me want to kill myself. Kinda wish I’d stuck around at the rest stop to see what happened when the old man was done in the bathroom but at the same time if he talked some more trash to the hobo kid I think he was gonna get stabbed. I’m still cracking up over ”Mr, I tolerate disrespect from no man!!!”, it was legit like something out of a movie

Welcome to Alabama and lots of smooth, relatively empty road. Might have to stay up late and eat some miles

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Am enjoying the wandering tale.

Thanks for sharing.
No worries bro. It’s been fun documenting my trip for the erBB

Unfortunately, the driving stopped being fun in general yd and now I just want to get home so that meant entering the trucker zone last night(driving as long as possible with the night truckers/on empty roads before passing out a rest stop just over the Louisiana line). Them yellow lens glasses are a must have when you got headlights in your eyes a lot. That and some ridiculously dank mixes on Mixcloud by the Ancient Astronauts. Something just told me(my copilot Jesus?) that I wouldn’t be missing mush if I blasted through Alabama and Mississippi under the cover of darkness. Truckers love me because I know what they’re trying to do on the road, why, and when and consequently I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve got the high five with the cool lights on their trucks for looking out for them/hooking them up with room to pass etc

When you got a long way to go and a short time to get there, you’re gonna try and do what they say can’t be done.

Im about to hit the road westbound again, loaded up and truckin’, just watch ole Chocki run

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Road song I posted somehwere...

They call me the breeze
I keep blowing down the road
They call me the breeze
I keep blowing down the road
I ain't got me nobody
I don't carry me no load

I got that green light babe
I've got to keep moving on
I got that green light, babe
I've got to keep moving on
I might go up to California
Might go down to Georgia
I don’t know

ps. never paid attention to what Robby Krieger was doing after the Doors but he can still play. See 3:55 for some fun dueling lead guitars.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
To help you unwind at night.....

Fucking love that movie. Whenever I fall in line behind a bunch of trucks…
Breaker breaker we got us a convoy lol

Almost didn’t make it to Texas td thanks to the two street racers that almost took me out as I tried to get through what passes for a city on the 20 in N Louisiana. Crazy traffic and the 3rd world road conditions were inducing the gnarliest tear wheel hop I’ve experienced to date in my truck. I thought I was gonna hip check someone.

1667502387371.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof and Subway

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Stopped at a picnic area so I could figure out where I’m gonna eat lunch. Next stop bbq. Gotta love regional themed rest areas(those are covering picnic tables).

18E416E8-1369-466C-84B4-065CB5A55908.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Subway and PPK96754

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
1667516685189.png

If you're looking for weird stuff to see on the way, check out atlasobscura.com. On the way xcountry, we stopped at this foam/fiberglass stoneghenge in the middle of nowhere Alabama.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Somewhere past Abilene ima hit up a hotel for the night.

Postponed lunch so I could try and avoid DFW metro traffic. I didnt detour far enough S and it was hell but I still think I missed the worst of it.

Now ima get my grub on at the Smokestack
23DF0DB4-0AF6-45FE-A246-109E8C3A6E11.jpeg

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
No Buc-ee's?
Not yet but I drove past one and I’d never so many pumps at one place.

Stupid internet lied to me and there’s no bbq at the Smokestack wtf?

Luckily there was a gas station bbq etc restaurant a few miles back so I just ordered some ribs

Last edited:

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
Not yet but I drove past one and I’d never so many pumps at one place.

Stupid internet lied to me and there’s no bbq at the Smokestack wtf?

Luckily there was a gas station bbq etc restaurant a few miles back so I just ordered some ribs
I've never actually been there but I have a Buc-ee Beaver here in the office that my buddy's Texican wife got me.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I've never actually been there but I have a Buc-ee Beaver here in the office that my buddy's Texican wife got me.
You said beaver lol

The pumps and place was packed. I hope I get a chance to stop at one.

BBQ Pork Ribs were huge and just as greasy. Pretty solid effort but not as good as the green beans (ham hocks?) and the jalapeño poppers were the best I’d ever had. Thought for a few minutes I was gonna have one of those heart attacks from getting too much fat in one meal.

Spending the night in Abilene then Santa Fe NM tm or maybe even all the way home to CO

Reactions: RemyXO and Subway