No more BBQ thread?

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
That was probably the best steak I've ever grilled. Tender, moist and tasty. I was too busy eating to take photos of the results.
IMG_8777.JPEG

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
bro, skip the carnations next time and go with the bone in ribeye!

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Also, isn't that prime rib the same as the bone in ribeye?
prime rib in the states is usually a roast...not always bone-in (maybe never bone-in?)

also, was thinking, if we do a traditional sear to lock in the juices when cooking,
wouldn't a reverse sear imply that juices are lost during initial cooking?

I don't get it....

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
also, was thinking, if we do a traditional sear to lock in the juices when cooking,

I don't get it....
Search for some videos by Guy Crosby, PhD. about searing, salt, marinades, etc. It's actually pretty interesting.

Here's one:
There's like a 1/2 hour one that's uber informative and I'll try to find it.

Why cook low and slow?
The lower you cook the temperature, the less the fibers will shrink, the less tough the meat will be because it won’t lose as much moisture. Typically tough cuts of meat are cooked this way to keep the meat moist. Cooking the meat slowly breaks down tough connective tissue to form gelatin, which binds moisture. The amount of fat also helps because it breaks up the protein, lubricates the meat and makes it tenderer.

What actually happens when you sear meat
When meat is seared, which means cooked at a high temperature over dry heat, it undergoes something called the Maillard reaction, which is a browning reaction. As the meat hits the hot pan, moisture on the surface of the meat evaporates and the meat undergoes a chemical change that results in a roasted or meaty aroma and flavor. Think of it as caramelizing the meat much in the same way that onions or sugars caramelize and change in flavor.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
It seems these guys roast the whole piece and only cut the stakes once it's done. I love the flavour from the Maillard reaction though, you don't get that here.
that's was kind of my point, but you know how lawyers are....

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Used one of those hyped "Traeger" pellet smokers at a friends house.
As much sh!t as i was talking, it made a wonderful brisket.
It was very hands off though. Set it and forget it. We were drinking carrying on and buddy got an alert on his phone that the brisket was done.

Thats my kinda dystopian future bby

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
prime rib in the states is usually a roast...not always bone-in (maybe never bone-in?)

I don't get it....

A Ribeye steak and Prime Rib do come from the same cut of meat. A Ribeye steak is just a smaller cut. There is a butcher shop here locally that sells these really thick, still with the bone Ribeye steaks. Almost like a small, one rib Prime Rib roast.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
How's this one? Tomahawk ribeye with the entire rib bone. It looked so ridiculous I had to take a pic. I was at this place recently and a table of four ordered one and it was like 3 feet long and at least 3-4" thick. $125 and the chef trimmed and sliced it all up on a giant platter with sides and stuff. The group also had a dog and it was in heaven munching on that bone on the patio. it was the biggest steak I've ever seen in my life by a mile.

img1.JPG

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Dinosaur bones. Our local BBQ place saws those bad rockets off. Smokes them and does a weekly special. I rib with a half lb of meat on it.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Was getting at the bone in part. Sounds like a trip to Beverly Hills is in order.
about to file via your referral. convinced the witness to come back to
the table and provide recorded statement.

fingers crossed, steaks will be my treat.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
How's this one? Tomahawk ribeye with the entire rib bone. It looked so ridiculous I had to take a pic. I was at this place recently and a table of four ordered one and it was like 3 feet long and at least 3-4" thick. $125 and the chef trimmed and sliced it all up on a giant platter with sides and stuff. The group also had a dog and it was in heaven munching on that bone on the patio. it was the biggest steak I've ever seen in my life by a mile.

View attachment 81073
That Tomawk looks good! They didn't clean the bone, I like it, precious meat in there.

This is basically the same as the Prime Rib but with a longer bone (PrimeRib is roughly 15cm, while the Tomahawk is around 30cm. And no, I won't use fucking inches, CMs are much, much easier).

I'm jonesing for this now.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
That Tomawk looks good! They didn't clean the bone, I like it, precious meat in there.

This is basically the same as the Prime Rib but with a longer bone (PrimeRib is roughly 15cm, while the Tomahawk is around 30cm. And no, I won't use fucking inches, CMs are much, much easier).

I'm jonesing for this now.
You can kiss your tourist visa goodbye with that Anti American attitude.

Joking, of course. I measure most things in CMs and grams.

• Haha
Reactions: brukuns