No more BBQ thread?

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
If you guys are looking for a kick a$$ grill that will last for years and years, won't break the bank, and has the ability to turn out grilled perfection time and time again, look no further than the Portable Kitchen. The name doesn't do this grill jsutice.

Its quite simply a cast aluminum grill. Whats so sweet about it is that you can use the louvers to control temperature. The aluminum redirects the heat so you can put whatever your grilling on opposite side of grill and indirectly cook it. I cook it like this first then sear at the end.

Also really love using locally made charcoal. The use things like mahogany, sea grape, acacia, etc. Gives such an incredible taste. One $20 bag of charcoal lasts me a whole year.

pkgrills.com

ratfink

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 15, 2008
Texas Gulf de Mexico
Haven't found that old BBQ thread so I'm creating this one.

I moved to a new apartment and now I have a freaking grill on the balcony. cooking some BBQ every weekend sofar, stoked.

I always loved to BBQ (brazilian BBQ, of course), but now that I have a grill in my place I'm doing some more research in order to cook the perfect meat.

American cuts have been all the rage lately, but to be honest I've been missing the mark and I'm not sure what I might be doing wrong. For example, Both the T-bone and Prime Ribs I cooked endedup a bit too firm. I seared themwith lots of heat for less then 10 minutes each side and then placed them higher on the grill so they could finish cooking with a bit less heat. They were still too firm though. not sure if I just overcooked them or if I did something else wrong.

Then looking at some american BBQ sites I found some intriguing information and a major difference between american and Brazilian BBQs...

Americans salt their meat like 1 hour before cooking?! In Brazil we either salt the meat 5 minutes before putting it on the grill (so the salt doesn't suck away the juices) or we only salt it after searing it... more meat flavor, more juice.

But what I read kinda makes sense and makes me wonder if I should try it.

They say that, after you salt the meat, the salt will suck the juices out (which is what brazzos don't like)... however if you wait long enough, that juice will be sucked back into the meat bringing flavor and most importantly breaking apart some of the fibers.

Is this legit? Were brazzos and argentinians just no patient enough to wait for a full hour and learn that the juice will be sucked back (and even make the meat softer)??

Hopefully we can start an interesting discussion here.

PS: I'm struggling a bit with the "american" cuts, but I can cook a mean Picanha!!

View attachment 80812
View attachment 80813
View attachment 80814
View attachment 80815
Beyond the obvious love of primal fire grilled sacred protein, what third world municipality allows you to have an open flame on the balcony?

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
How's this one? Tomahawk ribeye with the entire rib bone. It looked so ridiculous I had to take a pic. I was at this place recently and a table of four ordered one and it was like 3 feet long and at least 3-4" thick. $125 and the chef trimmed and sliced it all up on a giant platter with sides and stuff. The group also had a dog and it was in heaven munching on that bone on the patio. it was the biggest steak I've ever seen in my life by a mile.

View attachment 81073
We call this a dinosaur bone.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Went by that place and they had more of these crazy things. The one on the left was like 8 lbs. $125 cooked and carved up. A couple maybe early/mid 40's ordered that one. I wonder how the meat sweat sex was that night. Actually, I don't. bologne-curtains-beef-drapes-meat-shades.png

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Went by that place and they had more of these crazy things. The one on the left was like 8 lbs. $125 cooked and carved up. A couple maybe early/mid 40's ordered that one. I wonder how the meat sweat sex was that night. Actually, I don't. View attachment 81509
Where is this? $125 for an 8 pound steak like that cooked is a bargain, especially in these parts.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I don't order steak at restaurants anymore

at this point, if I go out, it's for something I can't or won't make at home

japanese, vietnamese, indian, fried things....

I'm not down with (over) paying for steak

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Where is this? $125 for an 8 pound steak like that cooked is a bargain, especially in these parts.
Industrial Eats in Buellton. They get stuff like that from time to time from local farmers but it's not always there. Plus if you get that from the window you pick anything from the main menu for your side dishes for no extra cost.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don't order steak at restaurants anymore

at this point, if I go out, it's for something I can't or won't make at home

japanese, vietnamese, indian, fried things....

I'm not down with (over) paying for steak
Same same. Pretty easy to make a good steak at home. As for restaurants, steaks have poor margins, which is why you often see off cuts on menus (which can still be great, don't get me wrong). Or its an overpriced 1 pound rib eye that nobody orders that is intentionally overpriced as an "anchor item" in order to lead your eye to other items that are almost as price, but with better margins.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Industrial Eats in Buellton. They get stuff like that from time to time from local farmers but it's not always there. Plus if you get that from the window you pick anything from the main menu for your side dishes for no extra cost.
Thanks! I'll be sure to swing through there one of these days.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Did this on my PitBarrel a couple weekends ago. Came out decent, still have some tinkering to do on brisket. It’s elusive. View attachment 81599
That sure looks good.

Never tried a brisket before. I believe it won't turn out as good if you don't have a lead to close your grill and let it "smoke", but what do I know.

It's on my bucket list though, but there are other (easier) cuts I want to try first.

Having a grill at home is killing me, I'm eating so much meat I'm getting fat as a pig.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
That sure looks good.

Never tried a brisket before. I believe it won't turn out as good if you don't have a lead to close your grill and let it "smoke", but what do I know.

It's on my bucket list though, but there are other (easier) cuts I want to try first.

Having a grill at home is killing me, I'm eating so much meat I'm getting fat as a pig.
Brisket is a low and slow cook. Open grill won't facilitate. So, now you need to get a smoker! I feel you on the lard assed state. I've been on the IR for 5 months. My summer work outs of smoked meat and Hazy IPAs hasn't done my gut any favors.

Reactions: rowjimmytour