No more BBQ thread?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I bought into the whole instant pot hype. It's actually pretty awesome that you can do things like braised short ribs in like 45min as opposed to the 3 hour dutch oven method. I'd still however opt for doing it the low and slow method in a dutch oven whenever I have the time. IMHO what you give up for the convenience of faster cooking time you lose in flavor absorption. Same recipe will almost always be better done the long way. But it's really nice to come home from work and have short ribs on the table before 9pm.
Agreed. I found that stews/soups especially had less flavor absorption when pressure cooked versus slow cooked. Plus the instant pot slow cooker function sucks, it barely goes to a boil, and if you use the sear function to get a bit more heat you are limited to 30 minutes.

That said, for cooking beans and making chicken and beef broth, it’s friggin amazing.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I do a lot of stuff like curries. These are good slow cooked. The longer they simmer, the better they are.

Sometimes a long slow cook and then refrigerate for six hours and slow cook again. Thickens everything up.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I do a lot of stuff like curries. These are good slow cooked. The longer they simmer, the better they are.

Sometimes a long slow cook and then refrigerate for six hours and slow cook again. Thickens everything up.

Any soup or stew is best cooked the day before. Flavor sets over night in the fridge. Any starch and proteins have time to absorb the flavor. I do my grandmothers Jewish sweet/sour tomato soup which starts with beef bones and it’s good the same day but really comes to life on day two or three.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
My youngest nephew now works at Aptos BBQ. Aptos BBQ is the best place around here locally to get true, authentic, long smoked BBQ. They only cook up so much meat daily. Start about 5:00 AM.

You have to nut up and put an order in around noon if you want something to go after 5 PM.

BBQ. This is real BBQ. I go to work in the morning and see Hector firing up the outside smokers. 50 different kinds of beer. Really, really good live Blues.

When you get your meat and cut into it it looks pink. But it's not rare. It's been smoked to the core.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Sorry, I love to BBQ on our own, (which we do quite a bit here at home), but, we had an 80th Bday party for mom up at the Doty Ranch in GTown (Boneronie knows where that is) and had Woodies cater it, and, I have to say, it was pretty freakin' good.
Tri-tip, Chickn', beans, salad, toast, just the basics, and lots of good local wines and brewskies.
It's Sunday! Go get a good tri-tip or chicken, start marinating and have a BBQ today! A great way to end the weekend.
Cheers big ears! :)

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I just "hard boiled" a dozen eggs to perfection in my instant pot. So damn quick and easy and ridiculously consistent.
I've wondered about this. We've used the Instant Pot for everything from soups and beans to shredded chicken and pulled pork but haven't tried the hard boiled eggs yet.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I need a recommendation on a good frying pan.
1. Go to medium size rural town for deals

2. Find Goodwill store/houseware flea market (but if time/money is no object, chart out the local thrift stuff and hope they are not picked over which is what seems to be the case in the larger urban centers)

3. Look for any old cast iron pan...well, choose the best smoothest thickest looking one

4. Bring home and break out the orbital/palm sander, remove some surface molecules of Fe and wash then dry it

5. Heat up the new-to-you pan and put in some 'high smoke point' cooking oil and there you have it

Back in college, in a converted gas station-to-junk-store run by some of Lobster Valley's more well-off hippie couples, found my fave 7 inch cast iron pan for probably $1.99. Needs a teeny bit of 280 grit sandpaper for the rust and then some 10 minutes of 600 grit, and well, to this day, still have it hanging above the stove.

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The cast iron dutch oven is great for camping. It gives you options to cook up different things right over a charcoal or camp fire. For home, the pressure cooker is way more efficient.
Any soup or stew is best cooked the day before. Flavor sets over night in the fridge. Any starch and proteins have time to absorb the flavor. I do my grandmothers Jewish sweet/sour tomato soup which starts with beef bones and it’s good the same day but really comes to life on day two or three.

Agree.

2nd day soup/soup/curry = often better than 1st night.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Sorry, I love to BBQ on our own, (which we do quite a bit here at home), but, we had an 80th Bday party for mom up at the Doty Ranch in GTown (Boneronie knows where that is) and had Woodies cater it, and, I have to say, it was pretty freakin' good.
Tri-tip, Chickn', beans, salad, toast, just the basics, and lots of good local wines and brewskies.
It's Sunday! Go get a good tri-tip or chicken, start marinating and have a BBQ today! A great way to end the weekend.
Cheers big ears! :)
I would go pick fresh oranges as kid at Doty's but would not consider Woodys great bbq maybe good but same level as chicken ranch. My home smokin' has taken over and is best from shoulders to ribs pork, salmon, and bezt chicken legs.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
This is my experience as well. Also, a bottle of coke is added. Produces some ono kine li'dat!
the guy at the carniceria told me he adds orange fanta to his al pastor

I'll try coke next time I do pork.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I've wondered about this. We've used the Instant Pot for everything from soups and beans to shredded chicken and pulled pork but haven't tried the hard boiled eggs yet.

So easy, put a cup of water in the bottom, no need to submerge. Put in the metal rack with a dozen eggs on it or however many you'd like to do. 5min at high pressure, 5min of natural pressure release than pop the valve and then put them in an ice bath for 5min before peeling. Perfectly yellow yolks with no green, shell comes right off without the membrane sticking to the white.

Next I want to try "soft boiled" and "poached" eggs in the sous vide.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA

carnitas - cook in lard with cut up slices of orange for about 3 hours. then finish under the broiler. SO good.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

Can you keep a secret? It’s for the sugar.

If you’re cooking carnitas you want the Manteca to be at a rolling boil. Upwards of 375. We used to make them now and then for family get togethers, kill the pig and all. Chicharrónes, pozole are byproducts.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Can you keep a secret? It’s for the sugar.

If you’re cooking carnitas you want the Manteca to be at a rolling boil. Upwards of 375. We used to make them now and then for family get togethers, kill the pig and all. Chicharrónes, pozole are byproducts.
makes sense....

I'm just trying to do the best I can with what I've got to work with

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
1. Go to medium size rural town for deals

2. Find Goodwill store/houseware flea market (but if time/money is no object, chart out the local thrift stuff and hope they are not picked over which is what seems to be the case in the larger urban centers)

3. Look for any old cast iron pan...well, choose the best smoothest thickest looking one

4. Bring home and break out the orbital/palm sander, remove some surface molecules of Fe and wash then dry it

5. Heat up the new-to-you pan and put in some 'high smoke point' cooking oil and there you have it

Back in college, in a converted gas station-to-junk-store run by some of Lobster Valley's more well-off hippie couples, found my fave 7 inch cast iron pan for probably $1.99. Needs a teeny bit of 280 grit sandpaper for the rust and then some 10 minutes of 600 grit, and well, to this day, still have it hanging above the stove.
This reminds me of trying to buy a used guitar.

People selling the guitar were always trying to get a high price.

I gave up on buying used sh!t.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Kosher Salt... Luckily my sister went to Miami for a week to buy baby stuff for my upcoming niece :)

She bought me some coarse kosher salt, she'll be here in 2 days.

And I bought some nice stakes for a BBQ here tomorrow. A beautiful angus Prime Rib and a few nicely marbled Ribeye steaks.

I'll try salting an hour earlier vs 10 minutes earlier with finishing salt and even try to reverse sear at least one steak. This should be fun. :)