Mental Health thread

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Started doing some of the wim hof breathwork after going back into school. It has really helped with clearing the mind and keeping calm.
I've been working my way through his 10 week program - breathwork, yoga, and cold showers. Today I did my first 10 minute cold shower. I've got 40 degree water coming out of the tap here in Colorado, so that was mind altering to say the least.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yeah.... No!

Actually, since I encountered my 87 year old mother acting like the Golgothan from Dogma for the first time.

Luckily, the diaper war has been won, but I have had trouble sleeping since the 1st of too many episodes, where not even the Cherry Apple Cinnamon spray helped.

Question, serious too, how do you get chit on the top of a round light fixture that hangs from the ceiling 9 feet high?

I don't know, but ask my mother, when she's possessed, she knows!!!!!

Thus, the Xanax.

(edit: dosing down to 0.25 per day as of last night.... after a week or so, will go every other night, and then every third, until the box runs out... not going to renew this script. too many horror stories from friends about this stuff.)
Who wrote the script?

Does the doc know you're high all day?

How did we get to this insanity where substance abuser get scripts for Xanax to take every night to sleep?

Last edited:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Yeah.... No!

Actually, since I encountered my 87 year old mother acting like the Golgothan from Dogma for the first time.

Luckily, the diaper war has been won, but I have had trouble sleeping since the 1st of too many episodes, where not even the Cherry Apple Cinnamon spray helped.

Question, serious too, how do you get chit on the top of a round light fixture that hangs from the ceiling 9 feet high?

I don't know, but ask my mother, when she's possessed, she knows!!!!!

Thus, the Xanax.

(edit: dosing down to 0.25 per day as of last night.... after a week or so, will go every other night, and then every third, until the box runs out... not going to renew this script. too many horror stories from friends about this stuff.)
Good call, benzo addiction is the worst of the worst.As for the weed, I quit for 9 months and not notice any benefit re. sleeping.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I know so many people who use Xanax to sleep.

I hate that feeling of that drug.

Weed too.

Cocaine and opiates?

Sign me up!
I tried using valium to sleep when backpacking; I sleep for sh!t in the bush

I wound up still awake but feeling really shtity in the morning

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I tried using valium to sleep when backpacking; I sleep for sh!t in the bush

I wound up still awake but feeling really shtity in the morning
My sister got these old school sleeping pills. A while ago. I don't think they make them anymore.

They were so great for sleeping when traveling.

I never sleep on the road or camping.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I know so many people who use Xanax to sleep.
Yeah, and it's a problem.

A sleep restriction program and sleep hygiene is very practical for many people and it works.

Prescribing a benzo for sleep to someone who is high all day anyway (also a former heroin addict if I'm not mistaken??) seems like maybe a not so good idea.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Yeah, and it's a problem.

A sleep restriction program and sleep hygiene is very practical for many people and it works.

Prescribing a benzo for sleep to someone who is high all day anyway (also a former heroin addict if I'm not mistaken??) seems like maybe a not so good idea.
Sleep restriction work great. When I go travel and I have to skip a night of sleep, I sleep hard the next night.

Benzos really mess up your digestion too.

People I know who got addicted and quit had gut issues for over a year.

And then you start having panic attacks.

Like opiates, these drugs can be really helpful in the short term.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California

I sleep really well WHEN i smoke weed so everyones different. I dont remember my dreams though if I ssmoke and I dont mind not remembering them. When I was young, with the help of a teacher - I learned how to control my dreams. After a couple months dreams became boring. If you ever consciously notice your in a dream - try and find your hand. Once you find your hand its game on.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I sleep really well WHEN i smoke weed so everyones different. I dont remember my dreams though if I ssmoke and I dont mind not remembering them. When I was young, with the help of a teacher - I learned how to control my dreams. After a couple months dreams became boring. If you ever consciously notice your in a dream - try and find your hand. Once you find your hand its game on.
Yes I learned that too from reading Carlos Castaneda books. Cool technique. It always falls apart or I wake up when I try to find and banf a girl I’m into :(

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
your REM sleep gets out of whack

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Yes I learned that too from reading Carlos Castaneda books. Cool technique. It always falls apart or I wake up when I try to find and banf a girl I’m into :(
yea what i noticed is you just gotta go with the flow - not try and change the dream specifically like who is in it etc - but be in control of yourself in whatever enviroment you end up in.

Reactions: grapedrink

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
When I do weed, I can get to sleep just fine. But, like when I have any alcohol, I'll wake after the affects wear off. I can get back to sleep most times, but it isn't straight through.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Quit smoking weed, quit smoking weed, quit smoking weed... You know what happened to my wife's cousin whose back had only a slippied disc? She died, kidney failure from all the antiinflamatory meds. Me? Got no discs, just nuts and bolts and bars, all medical grade titanium though, holding my top half connected to my bottom half. Do you have any notion of the daily physical pain I live with? Quitting weed... NOT AN OPTION!!!!

As far as the stupid little pills, they did what they're supposed to, dropped my anxiety levels back to as normal as possible when caring for an 87 year old SHIrT demon, and now I'm tapering off of them.

Been at 0.25 mgs since Friday. Dropping to 0.25 mgs every other day end of this week. Should be completely off by mid March at the latest.

I do thank you ALL for the concern. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I AM an exheroin addict. I also kicked a 200$ a day habit (80's mind you, when 200$ could buy you more than a Starbucks coffee and a movie ticket) on my own, without any programs.

Been there, done that. These pills are a joke compared to the Indian Brown I was getting in Madrid in the 80's.

Surfing as much as the broken body allows is doing wonders for my mental health too.

:waving::shaka:

Reactions: Boneroni

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The best sleep for you will result from solid exercise. I can only speak from personal experience but if you are exhausted but still feel you need that additional nudge over into dreamland, DO NOT take melatonin or magnesium. Your body will revolt and keep you awake. Doctor prescribed me codeine which gave that nudge and acted like a reset. Not saying that's the best thing for you, though.

Reactions: santacruzin

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
melatonin has never been effective for me

I just learned about magnesium...I want to explore this more

my sleep has always been pretty shitty - it follows the exact pattern Harry describes above

I've mostly developed strategies to make it easier to go back to sleep after that 2am wakeup

sleep is very personal and very important so I don't begrudge anyone their own solutions

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
The best sleep for you will result from solid exercise. I can only speak from personal experience but if you are exhausted but still feel you need that additional nudge over into dreamland, DO NOT take melatonin or magnesium. Your body will revolt and keep you awake. Doctor prescribed me codeine which gave that nudge and acted like a reset. Not saying that's the best thing for you, though.
i take mag every day but the couple times I took it before bed - out like a light. same with melatonin - like nyquil for me.

i think it all comes down to exercise & consistency personally. as soon as I kept a strict sleep schedule and workout regime - all my sleep issues went away. most nights i have no say in the matter - around 10ish my eyes just give up.

Reactions: Boneroni and afoaf

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I sleep good when I F.

But not always if I F and drank a lot.

Then I wake up with a headache and try not to move so I don't get yelled at.

I'm a super restless sleeper.