Mental Health thread

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
i take mag every day but the couple times I took it before bed - out like a light. same with melatonin - like nyquil for me.

i think it all comes down to exercise & consistency personally. as soon as I kept a strict sleep schedule and workout regime - all my sleep issues went away. most nights i have no say in the matter - around 10ish my eyes just give up.
I’ve taken my gf‘s melatonin a few times and it def worked but made me extremely moody in the process. I found every move my gf made getting ready for bed to be completely intolerable and was not nice to her about it in a very uncharacteristic way. Happened to me both times I’ve recently taken melatonin. SO I stick to the gummies. Like the high CBD ones with CBN for sleeping.

Reactions: CutnSnip

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Got called out by one of my old K-9 unit members who also left the team a few years back. Woman. Distressed and depressed from what I was told. Then got a call from a local surf shop owner who called on the same matter and asked if I would help out.
Packed up and went to the home of the woman. Come to find out, I know and have surfed with her husband and the missing woman. Police. Frantic family members. Dog team goes out. I walk the huge piece of property. Walk a fence line. Check a treehouse. Bush wack. Hour in, the woman is found, in her home under a pile of blankets in a small downstairs room. She took some pills and was barely breathing. Police call EMT's, they process her and take her to emergency in Lihue.
It hit's a lil harder when you know someone that's having a hard time dealing with today's, Facts of Life.
I hope that she and her Family can regain some composure in their daily lives ~

Last edited:

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Wife takes some sort of sleep help every night. every single night. She can't turn her brain off.
5mcg melatonin, plus either ambien, or advil pm, or xanax if needed. She also has a strict bedtime routine early 9ish and reads until she falls asleep. A few days of her not sleeping due to some stressful event, and it takes its toll. Been trying to get her to take a few rips, but she's not into that.
I don't know, I have no problem sleeping, guess i'm lucky.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
This whole pandemic situation has definitely thrown a monkey wrench into the spokes of our collective front tire as we ride leisurely through the park on a mellow Sunday afternoon of life.

I've never been one to whine and complain, but it's getting really difficult to not compare the pre-pandemic world to now. Hard as I try to be hopeful of the future that's yet to come, nostalgia always wins.

Sure, there's still plenty of fun to be had, but it surely pales in comparison to the past.

55 and still alive. I am grateful, as the majority of the crew I ran with while young and wreckless are all fertilizing the daisies.

It's hard to keep up the smile and keep the chin up. Personally, I stick with it for those around me, were it not for my people I would have gone for the dirt nap long long ago.

What I'm saying I guess is, the people around you are VERY IMPORTANT TO MENTAL HEALTH!!!

Reactions: Anthony Keenan

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I rarely take sleeping crutches.

I don't really mind not sleeping.

Sometimes it's annoying.

I kind of accept it as a fact of life.

IT would be harder if I had to actually get up and go to work :dancing: in the morning.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I rarely take sleeping crutches.

I don't really mind not sleeping.

Sometimes it's annoying.

I kind of accept it as a fact of life.

IT would be harder if I had to actually get up and go to work :dancing: in the morning.
the problem with lack of sleep is not one or two nights... it's when you go for a longer stretch, even a week without rest.

try it sometime.... you WILL go crazy

Reactions: Boneroni

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I sleep, I just go for long stretches in the night of being awake.

I have a friend who falls asleep and sleeps straight through the night until he wakes up in the morning.

Pig Benis

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 16, 2002
I've been a chronic insomniac since I was a child. Weed makes it worse as does alcohol. As I've gotten older my tolerance for sleep deprivation has narrowed. Two nights I can still do. When it starts stretching to 3,4,5... it gets dangerous. That's not healthy. At some point you are treading a line between what a drug does to you and what the sleep deprivation is doing to you. Even if you think you are getting away with the sleep deprivation, it's taking a toll.

In the past I gave into it re the drugs and accepted a litany of prescription drugs. None of which worked save for Xanax. I hate the stuff. It affects my balance and memory the next day. But after I go for three or more nights, I go with the drugs. The withdrawal from a benzo addiction is no fun. Cold turkey can send you into a seizure. My Doc will want to write me a script for 30 when I ask for them. I tell him to give me five. Pick your poison.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Sleep is everything. If I get a good nights sleep, life is pretty much okay. If not, it sucks.

Only took me like 35 years to figure that out.

When I'm surfing and working a lot I try to get 8-9 hours solid. Anything much less than 7 and I'm a grumpy bitch.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Do you do the Wim Hof breathing exercises as well?
Not as much as I should.

I think it's really powerful if you discipline yourself to do it.

I notice when I go in cold water, sub 50 without a wetsuit I do that type of breathing without even trying.

I am not in cold training shape physically right now because I hate cold immersion when it's cold outside, but I know that the really bad fight or flight feeling goes away after about 50 seconds so even detrained I can still do it. It's just not as easy.

Knowing is a game changer.

I love ice training when it's hot.

I need a good sauna for winter.

I find that when I do cold training in winter, I never warm up.

Summer is coming.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I love my far infrared sauna. Good for the aches and pains, and the immune system. Not to mention warming up after a February session in NY

Reactions: Autoprax

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I love my far infrared sauna. Good for the aches and pains, and the immune system. Not to mention warming up after a February session in NY
How does it compare to a traditional? Do you sweat as much? I don't like how they don't get as hot, but maybe that doesn't matter because of the penetration or whatever. Haven't been inside one yet.

Pretty much impossible to find a compact traditional sauna, so i may go infrared just because of that.

Reactions: Subway

moby

Nep status
Nov 10, 2010
Not as much as I should.

I think it's really powerful if you discipline yourself to do it.

I notice when I go in cold water, sub 50 without a wetsuit I do that type of breathing without even trying.

I am not in cold training shape physically right now because I hate cold immersion when it's cold outside, but I know that the really bad fight or flight feeling goes away after about 50 seconds so even detrained I can still do it. It's just not as easy.

Knowing is a game changer.

I love ice training when it's hot.

I need a good sauna for winter.

I find that when I do cold training in winter, I never warm up.

Summer is coming.
I tried the WH for the first time today. I held my breath for almost two minutes. I have never come close to that. The whole thing seems to provide a bit of a buzz and a sense of well-being. I’m intrigued.

How do you do the ice baths at home? Stop at the liquor store and buy all their ice on the way home to your bathtub?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I tried the WH for the first time today. I held my breath for almost two minutes. I have never come close to that. The whole thing seems to provide a bit of a buzz and a sense of well-being. I’m intrigued.

How do you do the ice baths at home? Stop at the liquor store and buy all their ice on the way home to your bathtub?
WH makes you go slow taking cold showers but fuck that.

Do the AP method.

Go to the Dollar store. 7 pounds for a dollar. Buy 10 dollars worth.

Get in a cool bath.

Get comfortable with the coolness then start adding bags of ice.

I like to get warm in the sun first.

Maybe drink some wine.

So fun.

I bought an ice machine and a big tub.

I love to do outside in the sun in the summer.

I would recommend for anyone with depression or chronic pain.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I long for the days of 6 solid hours of solid sleep a night. I did that for decades and was just fine. Now I wake up almost every night at 330 or so and am up for a couple hours. I'm tired.

I should try magnesium again.

Ambien and melatonin, made me near suicidal.

Valium a couple times a week helped though.

Nyquil works.

Fernet Branca used to work but no longer does, I'm convinced they changed the formula.

Cognac used to work.

Exercise doesn't work any more.

Must be stress.

• Dislike
Reactions: JBerry