Mental Health thread

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Klonopin is like Valium but it lasts longer. It’s strong juju. Any doctor who says it’s a safer alternative to Valium is probably high on a few of them himself. It’s a very effective medicine when used for detoxing drunks and for very short term acute anxiety attacks. They last for about 8 hours which is a long time for a benzo. Xanax is barely an hour or two tops, by comparison

so the simplified time line: when I popped the first one, that didn’t launch me. My brain was already super keyed up from anxiety and adrenaline and anger and “holy smokes the surf is going to be pumping and am I going to bang this girl or not and holy sh!t I need a divorce and do the brakes on this plane feel funny to you” and so on. I was in an elevated state to say the least. One only needs to read my manic posts. That was before the actual meltdown.

So pill number 1 was alive and kicking when I took another 1 a couple hours later, and then another one an hour or two after that, and within the course of one day’s travel to Mexico I probably had at least 3-4 my in my brain which is enough to send me off the rails

and once you’re off the rails (but not yet fully blacked out) it’s very easy to start popping them like chiclets, at which point you are no longer running the ship. Reason, sanity, logic, and accountability have left the chat. And because they last a longish time, the resulting blackouts often last for days and days.

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Take care of yourself Subway both mentally and physically. We are all stocked you pulled through that one. But I'm sure things are still fragile so tread carefully and take it one moment at a time. Hit up Bonzer, he seems like someone who could really be helpful at this time.

On a different note. I have an idea...

There should be places all around the world called "check out of life" (COOL). Kind of like an all inclusive resort without the partying and temptations. A place where one can go and just eat, sleep, read, garden etc. No need to worry about a thing. Take a break from being an "adult" in a "modern" world. Imagine you could tell your job, your family, whoever...I'm going to COOL for awhile. I'll be back when I'm ready. You walk in, they hand you a key to a room to yourself or you can have a roommate. No need to pay anything or worry about anything. Just no drugs, alcohol, unhealthy food or screens. Kind of a detox if you will but totally sanctioned and free!!!

A couple weeks a year in a place like this could do wonders for people who are stressed, bummed out on life, lost a loved one, suffering from some type of trauma, destitute, etc. Not a mental health facility and not a homeless shelter. Something nice. Where the people who work there are stewards for humanity and have a desire to help, listen, and guide. You got hammocks, super comfy couches, some gardens to work in, art studio, music room with more comfy seating, and a sensory zone. You know...things like saunas, ice baths, light dep, salt baths, big foam pits to jump into, a get naked room with silk sheets...sh!t li dat.

These are my semi incoherent ramblings of a dude who's been basking in the tropical sun for decades now. It does alter the way the brain works over time.

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
i'm gonna step in with some correct info...
The drugs do differ in half-life, with Klonopin having a half-life of about 30 to 40 hours and Valium having a half-life of up to 100 hours.
both will mess you up if abused.
glad you aren't on any of that crap any longer, my friend. good to have you back.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Seems like everyone I know who is on Benzo's has become addicted to them. Absolute nightmare, not entirely sure why doctors prescibe them like candy still.

Reactions: npsp and sdsrfr

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
It’s the recommended replacement for Valium if I’m to believe my doctor. If anything you should be concerned about why it was prescribed for him.
Not going in details as some of the posters here are too braindead to understand some things... but he's always been a bit of a hypochondriac and now that he's been diagnosed with an abdominal aortic aneurysm (you know, that kind that if bursts kills 98% of the time) he's been having some panic attacks. This helps with that. Helps me with not having to drive to his house in the middle of the night to get him to the hospital only for him to feel better as soon as I'm with him.

I appreciate the erBB's advice, but I will follow the doctor's orders over any advice given here 10000000000000% of the time.

Reactions: Chocki

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
I am believer in trusting ones dr. I fall hard in that camp. That said I know a bunch of people who have become absolutely addicted to benzo's from dr prescribed xanax and klonopin. The rationale is that the side effects of addiction are worth the risk to minimize the anxiety attacks and up the quality of life. That all sounds good until they turn into raging addicts who will die if they dont get their xanax that day. You might consider having a long talk with your dads dr about what a benzo addiction looks like brukuns

Reactions: sussle and brukuns

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Benzos are wild. Once you’re on a bender, everything continues to be a good idea.

i know a few peeps from college who put their cars into easily avoidable objects days into their benders. benzos and booze is a fast track to benzo blackout.

everything is a good idea… until you snap out of it in a holding cell.
This is exactly what happened to my friend.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I am believer in trusting ones dr. I fall hard in that camp. That said I know a bunch of people who have become absolutely addicted to benzo's from dr prescribed xanax and klonopin. The rationale is that the side effects of addiction are worth the risk to minimize the anxiety attacks and up the quality of life. That all sounds good until they turn into raging addicts who will die if they dont get their xanax that day. You might consider having a long talk with your dads dr about what a benzo addiction looks like brukuns
I just might. Not his profile though, not a substance abuser (not that addiction cares). he's 80, doesn't even drink, never have (he's super pissed at my new whisky habit btw). I'll definitely check how often the dr prescribed he takes it though, but he's been doing excellent since he started. You have to keep in mind that the medicine also helps keeping his arterial pressure in check which can save his life, there's more to it than just panic attacks.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I’m pretty disappointed that I was wrong about subway and casa eloping, hence their similarly timed absence from this bedlam.

That being said, glad you’re on the mend and hopefully heading in the right direction subby.

• Haha
Reactions: brukuns and Subway

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Since it’s gonna be a long time before I finish
All of the many missions that I have to establish
Ima take a break from lighting my spliff, and igniting ya with insights

but before I depart, Ive found aint nothing got a more profound effect on my mental health than being of service

on this trip back east to see fam, got to help some rando farmer dude at the gas station I stopped at at midnight remove the muffler/exhaust that had dropped off some rando chicks old van then wedged in the undercarriage. Busted out my tool kit and remaining bolts came off no worries but after a few tries at removal I decided if we jacked it up the rear axle would drop enough to snake it out. Good thing I had a bitching bottle jack in the truck. Victory and everyone went on their merry ways wicked stocked. Then just yd at a rest stop I made some dirty hippy whose radiator was leaking take the gal of coolant I kept in the truck for emergencies instead of just adding water. I hope you make it the rest of the way to CO to see the Dead brah.

Carry on my wayward sons

Last edited:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Seems like everyone I know who is on Benzo's has become addicted to them. Absolute nightmare, not entirely sure why doctors prescibe them like candy still.
Seems to be the only thing that works rapidly for severe anxiety, Never take them 2 days in a row, very occasional use only unless you want to on them for the rest of your life

Reactions: wedge2

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
I just might. Not his profile though, not a substance abuser (not that addiction cares). he's 80, doesn't even drink, never have (he's super pissed at my new whisky habit btw). I'll definitely check how often the dr prescribed he takes it though, but he's been doing excellent since he started. You have to keep in mind that the medicine also helps keeping his arterial pressure in check which can save his life, there's more to it than just panic attacks.
Sounds like his doc is a good one and as you mentioned it's helping with multiple things...I can't tell you the amount of young people I know that get on them (as well as adderall for work) for occasional anxiety/panic attacks and then really like the feeling, stay on them for a couple years and then try to get off them or their docs cut them off bc they realize it's being abused. Now their anxiety is much worse, often experiencing physical/mental withdrawal and quality of life/mental health has gone to sh!t all b/c they had no idea what they were getting into. Same thing with the adderall, docs see they are abusing and cut them off...now they can't work for sht without it and go black market with a whole nother set of risks involved (one being a felony and two everything is cut with fentanyl).

Hope everyone has a good fourth!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Sounds like his doc is a good one and as you mentioned it's helping with multiple things...I can't tell you the amount of young people I know that get on them (as well as adderall for work) for occasional anxiety/panic attacks and then really like the feeling, stay on them for a couple years and then try to get off them or their docs cut them off bc they realize it's being abused. Now their anxiety is much worse, often experiencing physical/mental withdrawal and quality of life/mental health has gone to sh!t all b/c they had no idea what they were getting into. Same thing with the adderall, docs see they are abusing and cut them off...now they can't work for sht without it and go black market with a whole nother set of risks involved (one being a felony and two everything is cut with fentanyl).

Hope everyone has a good fourth!
Just had lunch at my dad's and asked him how often he was taking it. He said he's not taking it anymore, the doc changed the medication to something that won't get you addicted. good.

• Love
Reactions: wedge2 and Aruka

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
If you’ve got old parents, it’s a good idea to have a list of meds they take in case of an emergency. Or at least suggest they keep a list accessible

When my mother was found unconscious, and doctors needed to know what meds she was on, we were very thankful she’d had the foresight to make that list for us

Actually, not just old parents, but anyone who you could be called on in case of a medical emergency

Last edited:

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
If you’ve got old parents, it’s a good idea to have a list of meds they take to in case of an emergency. Or at least suggest they keep a list accessible

When my mother was found unconscious, and doctors needed to know what meds she was on, we were very thankful she’d had the foresight to make that list for us

Actually, not just old parents, but anyone who you could be called on in case of a medical emergency
Good call. My mom is on it at least, the woman knows everything!

Reactions: Random Guy

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Its complicated. Benzos (and alcohol) do "treat" mania, they mitigate mania. What would have happened without the clonazepam? Anyone who can ingest 8mg of Klonopin and not be asleep has a high tolerance or is manic or both. When you've ditched benzodiazepines, and you need something else, that substance (maybe quetiapine) will present other problems. You're a good writer. Get this into an article somewhere

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Fook da benzos.

Dinn even know what that chit was until I googled it when @Subway mentioned this "benzo blackout" thing.

I'd had an alcohol induced black out, heroin and cocaine too. But never heard of prescription pills doing that.

Sure enough, I checked the pills my Dr recommended/rx'd when I was having trouble sleeping around Easter week more or less. Turns out I've been taking benzos. Orphidal is the name, Lorazepam is the generic drug name.

So, started weening off them immediately. Taking one every two days now, will drop down to one every three and so on.

Doubt I am addicted, but I have been taking that chit daily since Easter, and as a recovered heroin addict? Fooking Dr's and their Fooking pills.

Stuff it!

Prescription drugs can go fook themselves.

:cursing:

Reactions: wedge2