Mental Health Thread - addendum

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Working from a little cool house near the beach today, rented with the fam... holiday tomorrow, than more work on Friday. But staying here until Sunday.

No clouds in the sky, light winds, there's some surf. House has a grill, brought some quality beef and a couple whisky bottles (inlaw mentioned he would bring some insane Laphroaig so I could try it)... these should a fun few days. Mental health is thankful.

I can walk to the surf here in Cambury, and the wave here is really, really good... but the crowd is too aggro for my taste and the wave is a little fast for someone who haven't surfed in almost 2 years. But one of my favorite good but mellow spots is a 10 minute drive from here (Praia da Baleia), this could get me hyped to get off my ass and get back to surfing.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Working from a little cool house near the beach today, rented with the fam... holiday tomorrow, than more work on Friday. But staying here until Sunday.

No clouds in the sky, light winds, there's some surf. House has a grill, brought some quality beef and a couple whisky bottles (inlaw mentioned he would bring some insane Laphroaig so I could try it)... these should a fun few days. Mental health is thankful.

I can walk to the surf here in Cambury, and the wave here is really, really good... but the crowd is too aggro for my taste and the wave is a little fast for someone who haven't surfed in almost 2 years. But one of my favorite good but mellow spots is a 10 minute drive from here (Praia da Baleia), this could get me hyped to get off my ass and get back to surfing.
Can you post pictures?

I might give you a like. :dancing:

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Can you post pictures?

I might give you a like. :dancing:
I don't touch my phone when I'm on the beach, kid won't even let me out of the water for a sec. but wait a sec, have some pics my sister sent me... here, little kid and my younger niece playing in the river by the beach.

1686318878233.png

but I got skunked... the swell was just a bump... it was just overhead when I got here on Wednesday... I was fine missing out that day and wanted to surf a bit on Thursday but it was basically gone, weak thigh high all of a sudden. I didn't bother and it's only getting worse now. Working today and everyone's out at the beach. but I'll fire this grill soon enough.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Was just in Hatteras for a bachelor party and it blew NE at 20 kts the whole time and rained - couldn't take the fishing charter b/c of weather and the beach was a no-go...cabin fever is real, especially when everyone was raging and I was not (minus some mushies and herb).

• Wow
Reactions: brukuns

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Does anyone ever ask themselves how people who have never surfed cope with the mundane essence of life? I sometimes wonder what my life would look like if I had never surfed .... eeeesh! Even if I never surf another day again in my life, having been able to has most definitely added to my mental health, even well beyond the years that will inevitably come when I cannot physically afford to paddle out.

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
Was just in Hatteras for a bachelor party and it blew NE at 20 kts the whole time and rained - couldn't take the fishing charter b/c of weather and the beach was a no-go...cabin fever is real, especially when everyone was raging and I was not (minus some mushies and herb).
No Frisco?

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Does anyone ever ask themselves how people who have never surfed cope with the mundane essence of life? I sometimes wonder what my life would look like if I had never surfed .... eeeesh! Even if I never surf another day again in my life, having been able to has most definitely added to my mental health, even well beyond the years that will inevitably come when I cannot physically afford to paddle out.
I think about this a lot actually haha - my brother plays golf, just can't get into it even though I grew up playing

Reactions: tenover

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
They put all their pent up passion n aggression into … the political forum n bat’in to p0rnhub

but seriously- there’s plenty of other things - the arts, other outdoors type $hit. There’s hardcore surfers around here that get full on boners from fishing - as an example.

playing music is another passion of mine.

Reactions: Chocki

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
it's flat here but gbg is talking about friday, so i may retain some sanity. we shall see. this has been a long flat spell with work taking up a ton of time. too much time in oakland will ruin a man.

Now I understand why my buddy Bernard is the way he is, ruined.
He lives in, you guessed it, Oakland!

:roflmao:

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I've touched many times on the subject of São Paulo being a scary place (even though nothing too serious ever happened to me directly) and how it sucks living having to look over your shoulder, and there was a detail about living with this that I never thought of mentioning before...

...had a nightmare which woke me up last night. I have a similar nightmare every one or two weeks. That I'm being robbed (circumstances vary from being more WTF to just a regular frustrating run-of-the-mill robbery, which was the case of last night's nightmare... good, but still enough to wake me up and get me a bit shaken up).

I woke up and thought... this fucking sucks. I can't even sleep in peace in this motherfucking shithole. But yeah, maybe everyone has that type of recurring nightmare themes based on your everyday fears? Whatever... I need weed and more whisky for some good old fashioned dreamless sleep.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I've touched many times on the subject of São Paulo being a scary place (even though nothing too serious ever happened to me directly) and how it sucks living having to look over your shoulder, and there was a detail about living with this that I never thought of mentioning before...

...had a nightmare which woke me up last night. I have a similar nightmare every one or two weeks. That I'm being robbed (circumstances vary from being more WTF to just a regular frustrating run-of-the-mill robbery, which was the case of last night's nightmare... good, but still enough to wake me up and get me a bit shaken up).

I woke up and thought... this fucking sucks. I can't even sleep in peace in this motherfucking shithole. But yeah, maybe everyone has that type of recurring nightmare themes based on your everyday fears? Whatever... I need weed and more whisky for some good old fashioned dreamless sleep.
Maybe Brazil can do the same as El Salvador and just arrest/shoot all the gang members? They have 60k locked up and just built a giant concentration camp to implement The Final Solution:love:.

• Love
Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Maybe Brazil can do the same as El Salvador and just arrest/shoot all the gang members? They have 60k locked up and just built a giant concentration camp to implement The Final Solution:love:.
Brazil is more inclined towards protecting the rights of the murderers and rapists and suing whoever dares to defend themselves.

• Sad
Reactions: grapedrink