Mental Health Thread - addendum

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
This Saturday I will attend the funeral of a good friend, 50 years old.

I'm 58 in July.

Has me "thinking" the best is all behind me now, only downhill decrepitation towards death from here on out.

Clearly not a very positive way to think. Has me a bit worried in terms of where the train of thought leads.

Trying oh so hard to focus on my niece's upcoming visit this month in order to attempt distraction, but it's not working too well to be honest.

:porcorn::cry::poop:

Last edited:

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I think about it all the time. It is depressing. I am 53. While I have made big time changes to my lifestyle and lost 25 lbs and am stronger, leaner, healthier and more flexible, it does not change the fact I have 20- 25 good years left.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I think about it all the time. It is depressing. I am 53. While I have made big time changes to my lifestyle and lost 25 lbs and am stronger, leaner, healthier and more flexible, it does not change the fact I have 20- 25 good years left.
Good genes? Or not pushing the envelope? Cause at 53, 20 years puts you at 73... and at least in my case, I don't even know if I'll bother that long, even if genetics gets me there.

:socrazy::shrug:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Look on the bright side Gary de la Flor Verde. Time is flying by like 10 times faster than it used to so in terms of perceived time we've got like 2 or 3 years left!

:roflmao:

:jamon:

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
70 is the new 40.

But yeah, the realization death is slowly approaching is fucked up.

I read somewhere that people usually become happier in their old age (like 60+)... something to do with having your kids already set up and whatever else. Well, that would be nice. I don't know what's this "happiness" people talk about. What defines being happy? I know quite a deal about frustration though, could write a book about it.

It's fine though, not sure a person actually needs to be happy. a few moments of peace here and there are probably enough. And as long as my little kid does alright, who fucking cares. Will he though? fuck, I hope so, my "happiness" isn't important, but his, is.

Reactions: Chocki and kidfury

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It's fine though, not sure a person actually needs to be happy. a few moments of peace here and there are probably enough. And as long as my little kid does alright, who fucking cares. Will he though? fook, I hope so, my "happiness" isn't important, but his, is.
People with kids tend to do better in old age than without.

I still can't bring myself to have one.

Reactions: Aruka

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
After the events of the past week or so I'm guessing it was determined to be a legal liability.

I hope that's not the case. I'm gonna guess r32 removed it not to expose subs until he's back on his feet and is able to judge whether or not he wants all those posts out there. He could have deleted the specific posts like he did with a few of mine when I melted down around a year ago. But we're gonna have to wait and see. I just hope Subs is fine.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
whomever deleted it did the right thing

If you complain in your 50s what are you going to do in your 60s? Get a wider, longer board and paddle out and go. Be that guy who's still doing it when they're 80. You probably won't be, but you won't know unless you try. And you're never going to make yourself happy anyway. Might as well focus on trying to make someone else happy.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Late 50s here
Ok, really late 50s
I’ve felt like every day since I turned 50 is a day I didn’t expect to live.
I don’t dread getting older as long as I can live the way I want. Right now I’m not dealing with any sort of real major life stressors, and I’m loving that.
I’m not looking back at my glory days or dreaming about better days to come. I’m just enjoying any day where I’m not struggling with any sort of major issues or dealing with a profound loss

Part of my happiness throughout my life can be summed up in 2 words: lowered expectations

And I never would have imagined how much fun and happiness grandkids have been. I feel so lucky to have them be such an integral part of my life

I don’t mean to sound braggy. there’s plenty of people with objectively “better” lives than me. I’m just very happy with how things are going now

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Late 50s here
Ok, really late 50s
I’ve felt like every day since I turned 50 is a day I didn’t expect to live.
I don’t dread getting older as long as I can live the way I want. Right now I’m not dealing with any sort of real major life stressors, and I’m loving that.
I’m not looking back at my glory days or dreaming about better days to come. I’m just enjoying any day where I’m not struggling with any sort of major issues or dealing with a profound loss

Part of my happiness throughout my life can be summed up in 2 words: lowered expectations

And I never would have imagined how much fun and happiness grandkids have been. I feel so lucky to have them be such an integral part of my life

I don’t mean to sound braggy. there’s plenty of people with objectively “better” lives than me. I’m just very happy with how things are going now
Having grandkids must be awesome!

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Having grandkids must be awesome!
For me, at least, as long as I’m not hung up on the perception of how old a grandparent is supposed to be, yeah, it is
But I’m not old. I don’t feel old
At work, with people I don’t know well, I don’t love bringing up that I’m a grandparent. There’s a prejudice against old people in my industry

but yeah, aside from that, being a grandparent is great, especially being young enough to be an active young
grandparent

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I don't worry about nothin' no
'Cause worrying's a waste of my time

Writing in a journal is really helping me. That and the wisdom/guidance of Matthew McConaughey.
Worrying fixes nothing
see my post signature

have you considered posting your journal here on the erbb?
i’m thinking it might be cathartic

Reactions: Joshua2415