Mammoth

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Drumsurf said:
The drive up the hill from Bishop is stupid easy and the road is consistently plowed. The town driving is where I see more people playing bumper car because they are going to fast or not paying attention. As my dad told me when I bought a boat and was worried about putting it in the slip - "go as slow as you want to hit something."
one trip driving out of town down the 203 a pickup w/o chains spun 360 directly infront of me. guy had zero traction in the rear tires, despite having a bed full of snow. luckily i was keeping it under 30mph with plenty of distance. other time was coming down from Main Lodge after a snow storm, SUV infront of me was going kind of fast. still I just kept it a slow speed and lost sight of the guy infront. come around a corner and there he is rolled over on the inside embankment :socrazy: .

true the 395 drive is pretty easy, but at night can get nuts too. That area by Convict Lake can be a killer. visibility gets low during a storm as the elevation drops there. Also one time was driving and a family of deer ran across the road behind me. Car behind me hit of them. I got SUPER luck had just past the deer a split second earlier.

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
I'm driving the same days (Sun-Wed) except from San Diego, full on Pow surgical strike! Man these VRBO condo rentals by the village are pricey, 1br $775 total for three stinking nights. I'd slum it but taking my chica so need something decent. Where do you go to throw a few IPA's back post pow day?

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
GeoPac said:
Where do you go to throw a few IPA's back post pow day?
Mammoth brewery took over Whiskey Creek's location. not sure if they're serving food yet. there's also a brewery in the old Shogun shopping center. haven't tried it yet.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Yeah they serve food.

It seems they rarely make you put your chains on but you must carry them. I've been asked to see them in the truck at least a few times and I don't even go that often

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
stu dog said:
GeoPac said:
Where do you go to throw a few IPA's back post pow day?
Mammoth brewery took over Whiskey Creek's location. not sure if they're serving food yet. there's also a brewery in the old Shogun shopping center. haven't tried it yet.
Food is pretty decent and they have plenty of seating upstairs. You order food at counter and they bring it to you. It's a pretty good spot. But I like the June Brewery/Ohana 395 Food Truck combo better. Better beer, better food. But Mammoth Brewery is a worthwhile stop. They make damn good root beer too.

h8scoldh20

Michael Peterson status
Dec 30, 2010
Bay Area
thanks for the insight everyone!

GeoPac said:
I'm driving the same days (Sun-Wed) except from San Diego, full on Pow surgical strike! Man these VRBO condo rentals by the village are pricey, 1br $775 total for three stinking nights. I'd slum it but taking my chica so need something decent. Where do you go to throw a few IPA's back post pow day?
just noticed this is a new thread.. sorry don't have any advice on places to stay but cheaper tickets can be found on liftopia. I'm joining a crew that probably had this booked long in advance.

Think I'm staying in the village.. maybe we can meet up for a round! :cheers:

sr04

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 21, 2014
Southern California
You can't beat Monday nights at John's IMO. Pizza by the slice for next to nothing ($2 I think) and good deals on beer's too. You can get a full belly and a decent buzz for $20.

Beer selection is pretty limited.

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
scotter said:
You can't beat Monday nights at John's IMO. Pizza by the slice for next to nothing ($2 I think) and good deals on beer's too. You can get a full belly and a decent buzz for $20.

Beer selection is pretty limited.
John's for sure

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Q_Surf said:
how much is a mammoth season pa$$?
I paid $849 for the premium pass w/ mountain collective. All-in including insurance, taxes, etc.

Unlimited riding with no blackout days at Mammoth, June, Bear & Snow Summit plus 50% off at:

• Alta/Snowbird (UT)
• Aspen Snowmass (CO)
• Jackson Hole (WY)
• Revelstoke (Canada)
• Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows (CA)
• Sun Valley (ID)
• Taos (NM)
• Stowe (VT)
• Lake Louise/Sunshine Valley (Canada)
• Whistler Blackcomb (Canada)
• Taos (NM)
• Telluride (CO)
• Thredbo (Australia)
• Ski Queenstown/Coronet Peak/The Remarkables (New Zealand)

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
frvcvs said:
Q_Surf said:
I paid $849 for the premium pass w/ mountain collective. All-in including insurance, taxes, etc.

Unlimited riding with no blackout days at Mammoth, June, Bear & Snow Summit plus 50% off at:

• Alta/Snowbird (UT)
• Aspen Snowmass (CO)
• Jackson Hole (WY)
• Revelstoke (Canada)
• Sun Valley (ID)
• Taos (NM)
• Stowe (VT)
• Taos (NM)
• Telluride (CO)
• Thredbo (Australia)
way cheaper than i figured it'd be. same as my bachy pa$$.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Q_Surf said:
frvcvs said:
Q_Surf said:

• Alta/Snowbird (UT)
• Aspen Snowmass (CO)
• Jackson Hole (WY)
• Revelstoke (Canada)
• Sun Valley (ID)
• Taos (NM)
• Stowe (VT)
• Taos (NM)
• Telluride (CO)
• Thredbo (Australia)
I bought it early when it was first offered in march when it was at it's lowest price. I believe it's $1149 (+fees) if you want to buy it now.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Q_Surf said:
frvcvs said:
Q_Surf said:

• Alta/Snowbird (UT)
• Aspen Snowmass (CO)
• Jackson Hole (WY)
• Revelstoke (Canada)
• Sun Valley (ID)
• Taos (NM)
• Stowe (VT)
• Taos (NM)
• Telluride (CO)
• Thredbo (Australia)
still takes 7 or 8 days to breakeven. that's about how many days I've ended up riding over the years. So I figured why give them my money in March. That and with the last 3 years of low snowfall I didn't take the risk again this year. As far as the other resorts.....do you really end up going there :shrug: if I'm only doing 7 days at Mammmoth it's probable I'm not going to the other resorts. Only did it once when Intrawest owned Mammoth and got 50% at Whistler

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
stu dog said:
Q_Surf said:
frvcvs said:
Q_Surf said:

• Alta/Snowbird (UT)
• Aspen Snowmass (CO)
• Jackson Hole (WY)
• Revelstoke (Canada)
• Sun Valley (ID)
• Taos (NM)
• Stowe (VT)
• Taos (NM)
• Telluride (CO)
• Thredbo (Australia)
still takes 7 or 8 days to breakeven. that's about how many days I've ended up riding over the years. So I figured why give them my money in March. That and with the last 3 years of low snowfall I didn't take the risk again this year. As far as the other resorts.....do you really end up going there :shrug: if I'm only doing 7 days at Mammmoth it's probable I'm not going to the other resorts. Only did it once when Intrawest owned Mammoth and got 50% at Whistler
makes sense. we ride a bunch (sometimes over 100days/season), and usually only buy a bachy spring pass which takes over after our mtn closes in april. but i panicked after the past few sh1tty early winters and doubled down for a full bachy pass as well. i avoid thinking about the math - skiing/boarding is either a richman's sport or a poorman's drain.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
stu dog said:
Q_Surf said:
frvcvs said:
Q_Surf said:

• Alta/Snowbird (UT)
• Aspen Snowmass (CO)
• Jackson Hole (WY)
• Revelstoke (Canada)
• Sun Valley (ID)
• Taos (NM)
• Stowe (VT)
• Taos (NM)
• Telluride (CO)
• Thredbo (Australia)
Last year I think I did 18 days at mammoth, 2 at June, 1 at Snow Summit and 5 at Whistler for (50% off plus the canadian discount). I think I did alright. So far I'm at 7 days at Mammoth and 1 at June. Gonna try an round up a trip to Revelstoke or Snowbird in March if work affords me the opening. I was supposed to be done in Feb but my job got extended to Late April/Early May which could put a damper on that plan.

Snow conditions are always a crapshoot when you buy early. But the price is usually lower when you buy early. And in past bad seasons they've offered resort credits to pass holders as compensation. In 2015 I think they gave all pass holders a $100 resort credit. And they typically lower pass prices the following year to keep you in. I have no problem going and blasting groomers on rock skis in a low-tide season. I can enjoy laying down turns on corduroy. It's better than not riding.

mhurdle858

Michael Peterson status
Mar 23, 2006
San Diego
Quick side question for the snow guys... Are there any differences with a snow helmet and a skate helmet? I'm taking my son up for the first time. He has a protec skate/bike helmet (the model with EPS foam interior). Would that be good enough, or should I rent him a snow helmet?

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
Costco has got 4 packs of tickets for 370. Some of the busiest holidays are blacked out but other than that it's pretty wide open.

They are 4 individual one day vouchers so you can use them whenever, or give them to friends, etc. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too tough to sell on craigslist either if you had leftovers.

I guess people are pissed because it was 300 last year with no blackouts but it's still light years better than the "dynamic pricing" at the ticket window.

Liftopia is good if you buy early enough but prices increase the closer you get to the date you're going. Still a better deal than their dynamic pricing I'm guessing.

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
DerDer said:
Quick side question for the snow guys... Are there any differences with a snow helmet and a skate helmet? I'm taking my son up for the first time. He has a protec skate/bike helmet (the model with EPS foam interior). Would that be good enough, or should I rent him a snow helmet?
safety-wise they'll both work, but there's insulation in the snow helmet and they're made to physically conform with goggles. be sure to try the fit at home to see if they work w gogg's and maybe wear a cap under for insul.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
DerDer said:
Mostly in insulation and ear warmers. You want a helmet to fit right and ventilate in the right conditions. A properly fitting skate helmet won't let you put much insulation besides a thin balaclava under it. Depending on conditions that might be plenty. Some people wear bigger helmets that allow them to put knit beanies and their goggle straps inside. It's mostly a stylistic choice and is good to keep everything contained in a yard sale situation but if your helmet doesn't fit properly it's most likely not going to work properly.

Some brands like POC (receptor+) sell helmets that are convertible where you can take off the ear covers and they're certified for snow, skating, cycling and even waterspouts. But they're not particularly great at any of those as there are lots of compromises.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Q_Surf said:
[be sure to try the fit at home to see if they work w gogg's and maybe wear a cap under for insul.
probably the biggest difference. having goggles that fit & stay on a helmet is nearly as important for safety cause don't want fogging up to obstruct vision.