Mammoth

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Heading up next Monday 1/23 to take advantage of all this "Pineapple Express" pow that's been falling lately. Driving up from waveless San Diego with my lady and was curious if anyone has any recommendations or lodging connections, specifically looking for a mountain village condo. Any fellow erBB'rs headed up next week for the post storm bliss?

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
did you try VRBO? there's a bunch on there, we're headed up mid Feb, so expensive compared to Utah

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I've had good luck with 101greatescapes.com

I usually avoid the village and stay over by eagle. Aspen Creek efficiencies have served me well. It's one complex past juniper. An easy walk to the lifts. There's really nothing I'm interested in at the village. Don't waste your time at any of the bars or restaurants there. Petras is probably the only worthwhile restaurant over there. We usually stick to Salsas, Mammoth Tavern and The Stove. Everything else is pretty much overpriced mediocrity aimed at tourists.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
donger said:
did you try VRBO? there's a bunch on there, we're headed up mid Feb, so expensive compared to Utah
yeah VRBO has lot of mammoth listings. Airbnb has some but not as many.
looking at 3 of 5 day passes Feb 13 to 15 it's only $180 on liftopia. $60 ain't bad if can do a weekday trip.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
frvcvs said:

I usually avoid the village and stay over by eagle. Aspen Creek efficiencies have served me well. It's one complex past juniper. An easy walk to the lifts. There's really nothing I'm interested in at the village. Don't waste your time at any of the bars or restaurants there. Petras is probably the only worthwhile restaurant over there. We usually stick to Salsas, Mammoth Tavern and The Stove. Everything else is pretty much overpriced mediocrity aimed at tourists.
the Ramen joint where Gomez' use to be is good.
heard Shogun closed and a couple other places too.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
stu dog said:
donger said:
yeah VRBO has lot of mammoth listings. Airbnb has some but not as many.
looking at 3 of 5 day passes Feb 13 to 15 it's only $180 on liftopia. $60 ain't bad if can do a weekday trip.
Lift tickets are getting out of hand. Holiday full priced adult tickets are now $149/day. They called the week before christmas a holiday to boot.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
GeoPac said:
What is Mammoth charging for a full day mid week pass?
prices are variable based on the week. tomorrow it's $129. next wednesday is $111

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
GeoPac said:
Any fellow erBB'rs headed up next week for the post storm bliss?
Headed up this weekend for storm bliss. Hoping for the best. Not supposed to be nearly as heavy as the last storm track, but we'll see.

We stay in Mountainback since a family friend owns a big condo there.

http://www.mammothres.com/mountainback.html

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
And while riding in the storm may be a bit rough, Bluebird after a storm could be way rougher for crowds. From last weekend...

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
92122 said:
never ever ever seen Chair 3 that crowded :drowning:
seeing how tracked it is there, that's the point I just say screw trying to find powder and go groomers

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Do you think ill have any issues driving in Sunday which is supposed to be the peak of the storm? What's it take for the CHP to close the 395 up around Mammoth?

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
r32 said:
It would take a rock slide, super extreme winds, or big crash.
or a complete blizzard. white out conditions. mostly at night.
last storm during one of the big dump days was looking at the road report. chains 20 miles north of Bishop (about the 7K mark think that's it). no road closures

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
Damn those photos are crazy. I went up last weekend and skied the hill on Friday before the crowd showed up. Spent the rest of the weekend in the back country. No lift service but no crowds either and freshies on every run.

Regarding the roads, hard to imagine a total closure but they were stopping cars and requiring chains (or snow tires) on Friday afternoon. They rarely have a check point but it was a holiday weekend.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Be careful in the backcountry friends... Here's a recent 12' crown that was released inbounds... After several large shots were placed, a rather small explosion made most of the upper mountain slide... Traced back to November rain crust layer...

http://esavalanche.org/content/mammoth-mountain-patrol-results

sr04

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 21, 2014
Southern California
I'm considering riding Baldy Monday or Tuesday (or both) depending on the storm snowfall. It's setting up nicely up there and could be prime if this next series of form delivers as it should.

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
92122 said:
Be careful in the backcountry friends... Here's a recent 12' crown that was released inbounds... After several large shots were placed, a rather small explosion made most of the upper mountain slide... Traced back to November rain crust layer...

http://esavalanche.org/content/mammoth-mountain-patrol-results
props for calling out avy info :cheers: that's a fvcking mega-crown! :eek:

drumsurf - good call. :jam_on:

our snow lasagna has been spooky much of this season as well, but we're actually getting a pantload of rain right now before it goes back to snow so that *should* consolidate things.

i've been remiss in snowtography this season bc it's mostly been a whiteout.

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
stu dog said:
frvcvs said:

the Ramen joint where Gomez' use to be is good.
heard Shogun closed and a couple other places too.
Shogun is gone, so is grumpys. Hear Slocums is on the chopping block.

Johns chickn pizza is now a hotspot and has expanded majorly. Nice sports bar. Good for him. Mole at Lopez', a newish place is off the chart.