Mammoth

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
silentbutdeadly said:
Angel's gone too
Almost good riddance. After the original owners sold that place think it was 2 years ago the place went DOWN HILL. the new owners ruined the bar and food.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
silentbutdeadly said:
Was surprised at your commment but come to thin of it I don't think I've been there in the last two years
we went there as big group last winter and the place was dead. had what thought was the reliable burnt ends and quality had gone to sh!t. and no biscuits either! closure is all the new owners fault.

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
Question about chain requirements... is there ever conditions that require 4WD vehicles with M+S tires to also put on chains? I'd assume if it ever gets that bad they probably just shut down the road/highway? Always wondered if I need to bring chains even though I have 4WD.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I've never experienced a need for chains on my 4WD with MS or even AT tires and I've driven in all kinds of conditions down to 0d with snow, wind, ice, and rain. I carry two pair of chains anyway, just in case. Sometimes depends on what the CHP says at the checkpoints.

h8scoldh20

Michael Peterson status
Dec 30, 2010
Bay Area
headed up to mammoth this sunday through wed, i've never been so feel free to keep the chatter/advice flowing :wave2: :snow:

RemyXO said:
Question about chain requirements... is there ever conditions that require 4WD vehicles with M+S tires to also put on chains? I'd assume if it ever gets that bad they probably just shut down the road/highway? Always wondered if I need to bring chains even though I have 4WD.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/wo.htm

you;re more or less correct

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
RemyXO said:
it's law right have to carry chains in those areas in your car, whether use them or not :shrug:
Have driving couple times where people are chaining up at 7K. Highway patrol stopping people too. at the time had a AWD CRV with regular tires. I just held up 4 fingers to the cop to indicate AWD and he waived me on.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
barnod said:
headed up to mammoth this sunday through wed, i've never been so feel free to keep the chatter/advice flowing :wave2: :snow:
you in the bay area :shrug: driving or flying :shrug:
that's a serious drive from Reno to Mammoth on the 395, not to mention the 80 to Tahoe

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
RemyXO said:
Never carry chains, never been required to chain up (4WD / BFG's) in over 30 years up there. Was up there for 5 days during the recent dump, same as it ever was. As you say, if it gets that bad they just closed the highway.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
coming from the south mammoth is a pretty easy drive as far as mountain driving goes.

h8scoldh20

Michael Peterson status
Dec 30, 2010
Bay Area
stu dog said:
barnod said:
you in the bay area :shrug: driving or flying :shrug:
that's a serious drive from Reno to Mammoth on the 395, not to mention the 80 to Tahoe
88 to 395 would be ideal but may have to make the soporific haul south past bakersfcuk due to road conditions/traffic/safety

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
I'm also heading up, but I'm leaving san diego Friday early am which unfortunately looks like it will deposit me in bishop right around the brunt of the storm. 2wd but have good chains so will just have to make the long grind up.

I was concerned about coming back Monday but now it looks like Monday should be showers.

Looks like Saturday should be mostly open as it's just some light snow showers during the day and I'm hoping they keep the lower mountain open Sunday as it looks like it will probably be snowing hard enough for refills.

Right now looks like all the lifts are on weather hold though which is concerning.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
stu dog said:
LiamUnknown said:
Right now looks like all the lifts are on weather hold though which is concerning.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?textField1=37.65&textField2=-118.96167#.WH_olVMrKUk

wind doesn't look to be as strong with this storm vs the last one. but, i'm sure at the top it'll be super windy. my guess is it'll be highest to 3 & 5. top could pop Saturday afternoon as looks like a break. then shut down Sunday. Tuesday will be the day.
Thanks for that, that's good news for my drive as well. I'm actually really hoping wind isn't too bad Sunday. Obviously top will be shut down but the thought of uncrowded stormy untracked pow refilling every other run sounds pretty appealing.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
stu dog said:
silentbutdeadly said:
Was surprised at your commment but come to thin of it I don't think I've been there in the last two years
we went there as big group last winter and the place was dead. had what thought was the reliable burnt ends and quality had gone to sh!t. and no biscuits either! closure is all the new owners fault.
I've been at least a dozen times in the past 2 years. First time with snow and ice when it barely rained/snowed that year, a couple cars and a big F150 style truck were sliding across the main intersection right where you pull into town. During a Feb trip last year it was so unbelievably crowded, every restaurant in town was booked on the weekend until like 10pm so be sure to make reservations ahead of time. We went to the store a couple of nights and made dinner at home. Also, if there's the flu going around do what you can to avoid it :sick:

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
I've never owned chains, let alone put them on a car I was driving in 25+ years of going to mammoth. Always had 4wd and more importantly don't drive like a dummy in town when it's snowing or icy. Last Friday afternoon was one of the few times I've even heard of the police checking for chains and turning people away. It rarely happens but with a holiday weekend crowd showing up and lots of snow I can see why they were checking.

The drive up the hill from Bishop is stupid easy and the road is consistently plowed. The town driving is where I see more people playing bumper car because they are going to fast or not paying attention. As my dad told me when I bought a boat and was worried about putting it in the slip - "go as slow as you want to hit something."