Mammoth

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
So Jealous....
Some of the spots mentioned above used to be shhhhh!

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Kento said:
Perfect snow day on Saturday. So fun hauling ass through the powder and then slamming a huge heelside turn, sending a very large cloud of snow into the air. Did that cutting very close to the rocks on Dropout 2, such a huge cloud that was still in it 2 turns later, got disoriented and almost rode into the cliff. Hilariously moronic. :roflmao:
Thats my move! I love getting in the white room, even on packed powder. You know you did it good when you lose total visibility and end up with a mouthful, the best is when you come blasting out and look back and see your friends following you out. My fischuit in particular with the long effective edge and short cambered tail can really leave a gouge and a rooster tail of white!!! :jam_on:

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Don't really like the Village thing but...
The wife got us a place back on the week of the 7th in the Village for 5 days and the price was $160 a night each and that included our lift tickets for 3 days... plus, we didn't have to drive up the hill to park, just walk to the gondola from the apt. and get off at Canyon Lodge.
I was pleasantly surprised.
BTW.. the Sushi/Noodle place next to the 76 station (Ramen Yan)) is THE BOMB!
Won't be up 'till next month (barring we don't get swept into the sea) for the trout opener/ski trip, but I envy all you that are going to get some epic pow in the next week. :cheers:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
My snowboarding buddy was at Sierra on the big storm over last weekend. He said it was the best conditions on Friday and Sunday that he's seen in 8+ years. Plan to head up again on Friday. Yewww. :jam_on:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
r32 said:
My snowboarding buddy was at Sierra on the big storm over last weekend. He said it was the best conditions on Friday and Sunday that he's seen in 8+ years. Plan to head up again on Friday. Yewww. :jam_on:
Yeah I've heard all kinds of good things about last weekend. This coming storm is considerably warmer. Lots of moisture but it's gonna be heavy. Great for the base to extend spring but I wouldn't expect much in the way of blower.

h8scoldh20

Michael Peterson status
Dec 30, 2010
Bay Area
frvcvs said:
r32 said:
Yeah I've heard all kinds of good things about last weekend. This coming storm is considerably warmer. Lots of moisture but it's gonna be heavy. Great for the base to extend spring but I wouldn't expect much in the way of blower.
could be quite good this weekend with over a foot of light stuff on top of the heavy snow. looks cold sat/sun with Saturday possibly far stormier than current forecast.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
barnod said:
frvcvs said:
r32 said:
could be quite good this weekend with over a foot of light stuff on top of the heavy snow. looks cold sat/sun with Saturday possibly far stormier than current forecast.
looking at the cams today, not much coming down around WH2 and the village. looks like snowlevel is higher up towards Main & Mid

sbsurfersb

OTF status
Nov 3, 2009
barnod said:
frvcvs said:
r32 said:
If the forecast stays windy Friday and the mountain shuts down then this weekend will be real fun Saturday before it tracks out. If the mountain doesn't shut down this weekend will be a tracked out and epic groomers, winning either way.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
it's dumping! just seeing what's on the roof is a lot

all of Main is on weather hold
Edit: the entire mountain is shut down except beginner lifts at the bottom + 8 &15

sbsurfersb

OTF status
Nov 3, 2009
What a month! Been up the last two dumps and was gonna sit this one out because it was supposed to be raining more than it seems it is, but if it stays windy tomorrow and not much opens then I may have to head up for one last pow trip. Just too hard to resist the white stuff!

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Dump last night! At least knee deep powder mid mountain. Looks like 25 is closed for the season. But since the storm was warmer that side was crusty. They blasted the hell out of Cornice. There’s now a big lip like the Climax slided, which is pretty much covered over. Chair 1 barely ran. Wind was pretty strong but I’ve been in worse there so the new wind sensors on the lifts are closing them sooner. Lots of wind blown on the groomers that made up for the rest getting tracked out

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Anybody plan on heading up this weekend 2/9? It looks like another storm to drop 18-24 inches Saturday/Sunday. Monday could be epic especially if most of the weekend crowd bails. Can anyone recommend a decent smallish Condo type accommodation in Mammoth Lakes area? I'm looking for something Saturday and Sunday nights. Most everything on VRBO/AirBnB is booked. Cheers!

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
GeoPac said:
Anybody plan on heading up this weekend 2/9? It looks like another storm to drop 18-24 inches Saturday/Sunday. Monday could be epic especially if most of the weekend crowd bails. Can anyone recommend a decent smallish Condo type accommodation in Mammoth Lakes area? I'm looking for something Saturday and Sunday nights. Most everything on VRBO/AirBnB is booked. Cheers!
going up tomorrow after work. but staying at friends house. There's one room left at the Quality Inn $723.95 for two queen bedroom