Lib Tech x Lost Puddle Jumper

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Was reading on shop-eat-surf that Mervin can't keep up with production. The Mayhem collaboration has tripled their surfboard sales (don't know what their sales were before) and they plan to open a second warehouse for board construction. I guess there's a demand for durable, eco-friendly boards.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Got a demo today and surfed some weak 2-3 ft beach break. Board worked awesome. Super fast thru dead spots and turns close to HP as a thruster with Large CI fins. Hopefully my buddies forget that I have it until end of summer.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008

5'7 stock dims, Usually 33L would be a little bit over volumed but its fine, I only ride boards like this when its sub waist high groveling.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
The 5'7" is actually pretty much 34cL (33.9) and has a lot of float for me at just under 180lbs with a 5mill and boots. The tech feels slightly more buoyant than EPS.

Just picked up a 5'10" Shortround on a whim, which is 30.75cL. Opted for the lower volume vs. 34cL not wanting this shape in a 6'0 length". Hopefully I am not under foamed on it.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
These mayhem ones are $750 off the rack. That's impressive.
One shop out here seems to sell one every other day (on their IG).
Wonder what's creating the demand? Durability?

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Racer1 said:
These mayhem ones are $750 off the rack. That's impressive.
One shop out here seems to sell one every other day (on their IG).
Wonder what's creating the demand? Durability?
Durable , fins set correct, HP grovler shape , made in USA, and look cool

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Probably won't overlap with the Firewire RNFs. Not sure if they are still doing these but Matt seems to be a smart businessman and keeps the different technologies from competing with one another.

Although it is funny that the Lib Tech PJs are cheaper than the polys.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
nightfly said:
Probably won't overlap with the Firewire RNFs. Not sure if they are still doing these but Matt seems to be a smart businessman and keeps the different technologies from competing with one another.
According to FW new site, there are no Mayhem boards. Don't know who ended the partnership, but maybe this will motivate Matt to bring his best seller (he says the RNF bought him his house) to Libtech.

As I said earlier in this thread, I'd buy two sizes in RNF if they were made in Libtech (in case Matt or Lib is reading).

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Looks like they have the sub buggy on offer to they look pretty sweet. Wonder if we can get them in oz? id grab one in a heartbeat...only issue i see with the more advanced construction is the repairs. My stretch legacy construction suffered 2 dings and guys around here wanted to just fill with q cell and fill it up standard repair.

Victimclothing

OTF status
Aug 3, 2008
Flat FL
Visit site
I have a Lib Tech PJ 5'5 and I'm 170 , I picked up used and was like new and it's literally the strongest board I've ever had. I'm a alternative board construction geek and have had about every type of construction from Aviso, Rainbow, FW, XTR, Coil, Hydro Flex, Black Dart.

The Lib Tech has by far been the strongest with Firewire a close second. The Lib Tech finish of the shape in details in the rail, tail, ect is very impressive. It also has good flex. It's harder to tell in the water because mine is thicker and wider and I use in sm FL 2-3ft junk surf. Pushing on it upside down on the ground ,it flexes very well similar to my other boards.
I've literally tried to destroy the board showing my friends by jumping up and down on it in the parking lot and it didn't leave any marks or dents. There's something ) special about the resin they use that blows my mind, it's so insanely strong like nothing I've seen before in surfboard construction. It's a little heavier than my other epoxies like my Short Round Black dart which has not held up nearly as well as I hoped but it's very lite and a great performing board.

It's funny they are so damm durable that it seems they are shooting there self in the foot because you wouldn't need a new board every 6 months because these will probably last years and years. Lucky for them many want the latest and greatest shape or model and many of us are board addicts.

I'm interested in trying a good wave board like the Sub Buggy in good surf to see how it performs and how responsive it will be.

I was joking with friends on a surf trip and thought truthfully, you wouldn't even need a travel bag and could put this beast on a plane with no board bag and the thing would probably be just fine, ha

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
How does it surf? What fin set up?

Thinking this might be the replacement for my Bottom Feeder when it dies. A little lighter than you but surf in a fullsuit for good part of the year so was looking at the 5'5. I like how the noses in particular on the lib techs seem more foiled than the standard polys. A lot of the poly's I've seen are a little fuller than the Bottom Feeders used to be.

Victimclothing said:
I have a Lib Tech PJ 5'5 and I'm 170 , I picked up used and was like new and it's literally the strongest board I've ever had. I'm a alternative board construction geek and have had about every type of construction from Aviso, Rainbow, FW, XTR, Coil, Hydro Flex, Black Dart.

The Lib Tech has by far been the strongest with Firewire a close second. The Lib Tech finish of the shape in details in the rail, tail, ect is very impressive. It also has good flex. It's harder to tell in the water because mine is thicker and wider and I use in sm FL 2-3ft junk surf. Pushing on it upside down on the ground ,it flexes very well similar to my other boards.
I've literally tried to destroy the board showing my friends by jumping up and down on it in the parking lot and it didn't leave any marks or dents. There's something ) special about the resin they use that blows my mind, it's so insanely strong like nothing I've seen before in surfboard construction. It's a little heavier than my other epoxies like my Short Round Black dart which has not held up nearly as well as I hoped but it's very lite and a great performing board.

It's funny they are so damm durable that it seems they are shooting there self in the foot because you wouldn't need a new board every 6 months because these will probably last years and years. Lucky for them many want the latest and greatest shape or model and many of us are board addicts.

I'm interested in trying a good wave board like the Sub Buggy in good surf to see how it performs and how responsive it will be.

I was joking with friends on a surf trip and thought truthfully, you wouldn't even need a travel bag and could put this beast on a plane with no board bag and the thing would probably be just fine, ha

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I'm still interested in a few of the shapes, they just need to do the standard and offer both Future and FCS

Reactions: csarqui