Lib Tech x Lost Puddle Jumper

Apr 1, 2015
Recently I've been looking into the Lost puddle jumper thinking it might be my next board. I've been riding a 6' CI neck beard and a custom 6'2" hybrid fish quad for a few years and I wanted to go shorter and more playful for the summer slop.

Right as I'm getting stoked thinking the PJ is the one and I'm figuring out the right volume I get an email while sitting in the airport about Lib Tech and Lost doing a collaboration and the PJ is going to be the first board in the line up.

As a northwest surfer and someone that works in the ski industry I love the idea of Lib Tech surfboards even though I've never ridden one. The idea of a board that is as tough as Lib's is great. No more fixing dings in the parking lot! Combined with the range of the PJ I figure it will be a perfect addition to a travel quiver.

Staring at the two websites last night I noticed a few little surprises. First, Lib is not making the size range that Lost does although I think my ideal volume is around 38L so the 5'9" should work. Also they changed the tail and added a wing while also building the sizes somewhere between Lost's stock and slim dimensions.

How do you all think the changes will affect the ride of the board or if it's even an issue? The tail change concerns me because I like to ride with quad and twin fins and I tend to think a wider tail would be better but maybe I'm way off base and since I'm in Lib's back yard maybe they know better and I should shut up.

http://www.lib-tech.com/surfboards/puddle-jumper/

http://www.lostsurfboards.net/surfboards/the-puddle-jumper/

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I've been looking at this as well.

From aesthetic standpoint, the tail is awful. Not sure why they'd exchange the clean squash for a wing except maybe product differentiation. Not a fan of wings.

The sizing is also kind of strange. It might be that the lib tech foam is a little floatier than standard poly or again simple market differentiation.

Would love to hear from someone that has ridden one. The most interesting thing is that the Lib Techs are cheaper as well at retail.

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
I've been eyeing these too. The only thing that has tempted me seriously to replace my bottom feeder. I wish I could try one though. I always shell out the cash and end up disappointed. The smarter thing would just be to order another BF maybe in a different construction.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
The general consensus in this forum has not been positive regarding the Lib boards. Stock has not been high. People like the construction, but the shapes and bottom contours have been generally viewed as funky. I tend to agree and honestly I don’t see many of the regs at the locals I surf riding them.

Now the Lost colab, which I was excited about other than the fin systems being FCS and their limited choices on large quad sets that seem to work best in wide tailed boards like the PJ. But then they went and hacked the tail, which apparently was MB’s design? At least that is what I read. It just doesn’t look that appealing to me. Will it work? I’m sure it will. It’s a groveler and how damn tech does it need to be. Combine that with the PNW gutless & freezing mush that is and will be on tap for the next 3+ months and you might just have a winner.

On the other hand if you go poly, 1st you have to find one up here. The shops that carry Lost can order models, but there is no stock list to order off of and they cannot specify dims and a lot of times the boards don’t even come in stock dims. IMO most all Lost boards shipped up here should be domesticated to account for the 5mills of rubber. Customs will take 6 months and I heard one story where a guy waited 6 months and they lost his board at the Lost factory….. Combine that with the fact that the Lib boards are priced about the same as a poly Lost with a south of the boarder glass job and it may just be a win win.

I have it on my list to feel one up on my lunch break one of these days…... and maybe even try a demo if I can find one. Will report back.

Apr 1, 2015
I did see a question reply from Lib on their site an answer that explains some of the dimension differences.

Lib Tech Mod reserves • a day ago
Hello!
Yes, they're slightly smaller to compensate for differences in materials.
Our boards are a bit more buoyant than traditional PU, so we reduced our dimensions a little bit to keep them feeling like the original Puddle Jumper by ...Lost.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I know a guy who surfs really well and has a Lib Tech Bowl that he likes but he's sorta stoked on everything.

Demos would be a good thing for boards like this. I think my local shop checked out a couple (not the Lost collabs) and decided not to carry for some reason. Not sure if it was the boards themselves or the terms/business model or what.

I'd probably have to jump down to a 5'3 in Lib Tech which scares me.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
If you decide to get one, let us know how it goes. The tech looks interesting.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
A guy at my local has one. It's really light. Lighter than EPS. It sounds hollow when you tap on it. Our spot is blown to sh*t 80% of the year, so he struggles on it. It probably works great in glassy waves. It looks impossible to ding/crack.

JLD

Sep 13, 2014
Upper Left
If your in the NW, I think Lib usually has free demos during the Lib Traditions event. Believe it was in august last year, if you can wait that long. Have run into a few people who are riding the PJ's and are really stoked on the boards, but also work for the company... Love my bottom feeder tho, & probably will look into them when its time to retire it.

barrysnyder

Michael Peterson status
Apr 27, 2011
Oceanside Ca.
Visit site
Saw them at he Boardroom show.
Had them "around the corner" from the Lost booth.
But not in their booth.
Still look a bit wonky.
But getting better.

This surfboard stuff is harder than it looks.
Customers know better too.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
mayhem is pretty pumped on them:

https://vimeo.com/126986161

Gonna see if Catalyst has any demo boards to try this week.

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
only $690 bucks too...not bad at all given the tech...that vimeo sure made one alot more tempting

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
grendel95 said:
mayhem is pretty pumped on them:

https://vimeo.com/126986161

Gonna see if Catalyst has any demo boards to try this week.
I want the FCS compatible adjustable fin boxes in this video. Does anyone know if that's lib techs own proprietary fin box?

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
A couple good surfers here had lib tech boards and surfed well on them but they surf well on anything. Noticed the other day that a few of them were on the used rack at the local shop.

I would love to try a lib puddle jumper but I don't think I'd shell out the cash on experimenting. I'd love to have a poly bottom feeder, bottom feeder in lib tec, poly puddle jumper, and puddle jumper lib tech and see which one came out on top.

I do like the indestructible aspect. I was surfing my bottom feeder in waist plus dumpy waves last night without a lesh and made a couple hard swims to keep it from hitting rocks on the beach. It would be nice to know it wouldn't get dinged. On the other hand those swim sprints in on smaller days keep me in shape!

Aug 18, 2012
I have one. Really liking it (bought it as a tough travel board, but have been grabbing it locally). I previously had an Extension Ramp from LibTech and while I loved the construction, I couldn't get the shape to work for me. In contrast, the Puddle Jumper is just plain fun -- good paddler for its size and feels pretty darn high performance for a grovler (I'm running it as a thruster FWIW).

Aug 26, 2014
Good: Word is the fin boxes accept darn near everything. Very tough construction with lively flex.
Bad: A) There are pretty large steps in volume for the sizes.2) Few have ridden them. C) They are rare as hen's teeth in stores, especially with the hype.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
What size Puddle Jumper are you riding and what is your height/weight?

What type of fin setup for a thruster?

tim760 said:
I have one. Really liking it (bought it as a tough travel board, but have been grabbing it locally). I previously had an Extension Ramp from LibTech and while I loved the construction, I couldn't get the shape to work for me. In contrast, the Puddle Jumper is just plain fun -- good paddler for its size and feels pretty darn high performance for a grovler (I'm running it as a thruster FWIW).

Aug 18, 2012
nightfly said:
What size Puddle Jumper are you riding and what is your height/weight?

What type of fin setup for a thruster?
5'11" Puddle Jumper. I'm 6'4", 210lbs. Fins are FCS M7.