Lib Tech x Lost Puddle Jumper

Aug 18, 2012

I asked the Lib Tech guys about more Lost designs coming out but couldn't get any info -- where did you hear they are making the Short Round? Do you know when and/or what sizes? Thanks!

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
The Mayhem Quad/Tri set might be a good call for that board. Also controller rears are nice and upright. Not sure if you can get them in FCS but I think so.

Not in love with the way they put that winged tail in the Lib Techs but like that they narrowed the stock sizes a bit.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Thanks. Yeah I'm taped out on cash for surf gear at the moment, but I may pick up some used rears..... the VonSol pivot rears also look good.

I didn't like the looks of the winged tail, but it does pull it in nicely and makes it pretty HP in the back. Honestly like many of the stubby grovelers it's really just another variation of the modern fish.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Per the Short Round.... really don't see anything special about this board. Wish they'd do something tried and true like the rocket or RNF.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Well that didn't work so well..... here's the text>

A little sneaky peaky for anyone who is a fan of our recent Collab with @libtechnologies We are expanding the line up for 2016, including these master plugs we just finished up. On the left: 5'1" and 6'1" #PuddleJumpers to round out that line up. On the right is a six pack of #ShortRounds from 5'4" - 6'2". ...coming soon.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Looks like he's running standard green plastic tris in there. Do these things work better as tri or quad?

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
This boards pretty fast and drivey set up as a tri. I think its personal pref..... half of my boards have 5 fin boxes and it all depends on the waves and spots I am surfing as to whether I go quad or tri. That said, I really don't choose to ride squashes. On a custom for this wave range, I would go swallow. After surfing this board not sure I like a quad set up on a squash as much as I do a swallow.

Aasmund

Gerry Lopez status
May 29, 2011
nightfly said:
Looks like he's running standard green plastic tris in there. Do these things work better as tri or quad?

That's fiberglass fin s and not plastic. I got a set of green GMB fiberglass fins from heavyfooted when he worked at ..Lost. They where handfoiled if i remembered.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I stand corrected on the fins.

They still make those?

I usually find even with 5 boxes, most boards either work better as quad or tri. My bottom feeder is definitely a quad. The fifth box has remained empty since I wrestled the knubster out with a pair of vice grips and ruined it.

Maybe with the narrower tail and concaves the PJ works better as a tri although I'm sure the pros make anything work.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
kool-aid said:
Wow, is it possible to get a set of these anywhere? I would be all over those.
I've got a set I'd consider selling. Just got to see if I can pry them away from the buddy I let borrow them a couple of weeks ago...

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Any place in southern california have demos of the Lib Tech Puddle Jumper? Going to be out there next month and would be fun to give one a go. Thought I remember reading somewhere that a shop had demos.

echobch

Nep status
May 29, 2003
San Clemente

The best way I found to remove those tight nubsters is to screw a wood screw into the top little hole, then grab some plyers and pull it out. nubster doesn't get ruined that way.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Only one session so far, but I'm impressed. I'd echo SeaFoamGreen, Biolos review on Bennys' boardroom, and Benny's own review.

Crowded Sebastian, waist-stomach, some chest-ish sets. The smaller ones didn't want to let you in; the ones that weren't really wedged/peaked out raced enough to decently challenge a small wave board.

Great combo/compromise/balance of straight line speed and snap, although if I had to choose between "whip" and "slide" to describe it, I'd pick slide.

Board feels very light and responsive; it jumps up the face when you go to pump it and it wheelie floatered and flew away (Sharkbiscuit airs) easily. I had to rescue the nose a few times in round, dredgy draino sections (takeoff, off the re-entry/snap, and once getting to the low road late) like the RNFQ, SD2, Shark, grovel customs...basically like any board with quality small/flat wave straight line speed.

It is less flexy than my Corevac (vac bagged stringerless EPS) or Aviso.

Feb 27, 2015
Over all are you happy with the lib? If you had it to do over would you get the standard lost poly? I'm torn I've ridden my friends 5'6'' lost polly PJ and thought the thing went great! if I buy the lib I feel like I would need the 5'7''(I'm 6ft and 185lbs).

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
angusart44 said:
Over all are you happy with the lib? If you had it to do over would you get the standard lost poly? I'm torn I've ridden my friends 5'6'' lost polly PJ and thought the thing went great! if I buy the lib I feel like I would need the 5'7''(I'm 6ft and 185lbs).
Yes, overall happy, and no way to poly for $10 more in a small/alt wave shape.

http://catalystshop.com/webstore/surfboards/new-surfboards?model=3157&p=4

emtee

Nep status
Nov 28, 2015
flat
I really would not have minded a little flip in the nose on my PJ...guess that doesn't have much to do with lib tech