Legendary surfer/shaper reviews Firewire Surfboards

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I've also noticed a healthy selection of Pyzels, Sharpeyes, and Rustys at surf shops I frequent. It doesn't hurt that those shapers have production set up locally in SD or Oside, pretty easy to pop in to their factory showrooms to get something off the rack. Plenty of well-made non-FW options OTR at least around here.

Reactions: ReForest

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I dunno what to say- I've had great experiences getting custom made surfboards.
Same.

Except that one time, when I was 18, and right then I learned my lesson of how not to order a surfboard.

I'm convinced
85% of the time the bad experiences were the result of customer stupidity/failure to be discerning/cowardice
15% of the time it's the shaper for whatever reason

This going off of personal experience and the hilarious stories I've read here over the years. (The guys who are getting their orders fvcked up yet keep going back to the same shaper are my personal favorites:roflmao:)

But if you want shitty customer service around here, try going to a mechanic, or getting a tradesman to do something.
Here too.

Absolutely awful.

Nothing more dreadful than having to hire a tradesman or mechanic.

Like I said, people love to act like it's a surfboard thing, but it's the trades in general.

But yes, the trades are way worse than ordering a surfboard.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Same.

Except that one time, when I was 18, and right then I learned my lesson of how not to order a surfboard.

I'm convinced
85% of the time the bad experiences were the result of customer stupidity/failure to be discerning/cowardice
15% of the time it's the shaper for whatever reason

This going off of personal experience and the hilarious stories I've read here over the years. (The guys who are getting their orders fvcked up yet keep going back to the same shaper are my personal favorites:roflmao:)

Here too.

Absolutely awful.

Nothing more dreadful than having to hire a tradesman or mechanic.

Like I said, people love to act like it's a surfboard thing, but it's the trades in general.

But yes, the trades are way worse than ordering a surfboard.
The contractors and mechanics that i deal with are top notch. They are also friends, so that helps.

What a lot of people don’t understand about my complaint with custom ordering is that they (you) have been so conditioned to accept a sub standard experience that you think you were treated well.

Let me make this clear. It shouldn’t take more than 4-6 weeks max for a custom board.

My last two customs (Malcom and Album) went totally smooth. The Malcom board was delayed due to problems associated with the government response to covid.

The Album was on time as ordered….4 months.

That’s just insane.

A mediocre surfer who doesn’t really know what works and wouldn’t feel the subtle differences of a custom isn’t served at all by waiting 4 months or more for a board.

I’m in the position of having 25 boards to choose from so I can wait. But it’s still absurd.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You must surf all those “best waves” like malibu, trestles, san o and swamis.
lol

The most FWs I've ever seen was Jbay. Some of the best guys in the water ripping on them.
Plenty on the North Shore.
Best right point in Europe was full of 'em when it was completely cooking
etc

I've never been to Malibu or San O', brah, but I'm sure they're all over your neck of the woods in the land of perpetual flatness...just like every other part of CA.

Reactions: JTiago

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
lol

The most FWs I've ever seen was Jbay. Some of the best guys in the water ripping on them.
Plenty on the North Shore.
Best right point in Europe was full of 'em when it was completely cooking
etc
Well, they must be doing something right if these rippers are using them at marquee spots.
I've never been to Malibu or San O', brah, but I'm sure they're all over your neck of the woods in the land of perpetual flatness...just like every other part of CA.
Did you miss the part where I said I almost never see them where I surf? Nearby points, central coast reefs and beach breaks.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Well, they must be doing something right if these rippers are using them at marquee spots.
I didn't think the boards working was in question.

They have excellent shapers that give them the rights to their files.

Did you miss the part where I said I almost never see them where I surf? Nearby points, central coast reefs and beach breaks.
I haven't surfed any points in SB but I find it hard to believe they're not there - any SB guys (other than Duffy) want to verify?

And yes, they're on the Central Coast.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The common practice of blaming the customer is a huge part of the problem.
lol

You have to be discerning when hiring someone to do work for you, and you have to know when to stand up for yourself. Some people never ever learn this.

And some people you're going to transact with just suck.

This is part of life.

It's funny how some people consistently have these issues and end up getting screwed, while others don't.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
4CBB8C98-ACBB-41C9-8E17-5147103386E4.jpeg
My old roommate found a one of my old David Craig Boards in his parents garage that I sold him when I moved down to Costa Rica way back when, and his kid was riding it for a while. I’m gonna trade him a used tomo FireWire next weekend and take back possession of one of my old 80s boards. Now I just need to lose 25 lbs and I will be ripping!

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
My last 4 customs were: 1. a local shaper 6'6'" Desert Storm with custom dims and swallowtail.
That involved a beer with local shaper and board came out perfect, absolutely magic. On time or before.

2. Dave Parmenter 7'3" Vector Cuda on an Aus trip of his. Lots of back and forth via email, while he was travelling. Complex construction, he shaped the blank glassed and sanded by local bloke (Bryan Bates). Board came out perfect. Magic.

3. Local shaper mid-length bight with govt stimmy money. Delayed manufacturer because glasses lived across border which was shut for weeks. Shaper was upfront about delay, offered to refund deposit. Board came out close to perfect (slightly different spray).

4. Custom from Maurice Cole. Lots of back and forth via email. Board came out perfect but damaged by courier.

Will bang again.
Widow maker on the parmenter?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I didn't think the boards working was in question.

They have excellent shapers that give them the rights to their files.

I haven't surfed any points in SB but I find it hard to believe they're not there - any SB guys (other than Duffy) want to verify?

And yes, they're on the Central Coast.
CI Pyzel MM Roberts Proctor J7 Yater FCD Andreini Lovelace Tustin Stoneman Campbell Wavestorm

All of the above are way more common than anything by FW around here. There way too many top notch board builders within a 30 mile radius to worry about FW.

Last time I saw a FW was at a point (not rincon) was an oversized Evo and the dude was a kook. This was last winter. Haven’t seen one north of Oxnard since.

Reactions: surfwhere

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Feels like FW boards around here are way down in the mix compared to 5/10/15 years ago.
I have been travelling across a fair length of the Vic coast for this period and FW have had their heyday here. Where I live now more likely to see a Torq than a wood veneer mid length FW. When the holidays start if its anything like last summer then there are going to be more MF softboards (a sensible choice of board for novice/early intermediate). The Cymatic was popular for a while, but like the HS Hypto Crypto, no longer flavour of the month.

Reactions: surfwhere

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
4. Custom from Maurice Cole. Lots of back and forth via email. Board came out perfect but damaged by courier.

Will bang again.
:love: Could you tell us as much as you are prepared to type about the design features of your MC custom. How far does the concave extend, does it have a full length hard sanded edge, dims, what sort of waves it goes in best (although I can guess that one). etc.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
CI Pyzel MM Roberts Proctor J7 Yater FCD Andreini Lovelace Tustin Stoneman Campbell Wavestorm

All of the above are way more common than anything by FW around here. There way too many top notch board builders within a 30 mile radius to worry about FW.

Last time I saw a FW was at a point (not rincon) was an oversized Evo and the dude was a kook. This was last winter. Haven’t seen one north of Oxnard since.
last time I surfed the queen I was stocked to see the local shaper loyalty in the water.

Reactions: Scott Ando