LA beaches done

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Go to the nearest Costco and then go to the nearest beach and tell me which place is more likely to spread a virus.

This week I surfed four times for 9 hours total and was within 6 feet of maybe 10 people total when I said what's up to them (fist bump, howzit, paddle away). This week I also went to the grocery store once and was within 6 feet of 40 people during the 20 total minutes I was there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anne t kryste
Mar 24, 2020
Give Me a ticket. Ill fight it in court.....when they open back up. If they open back up.....they are releasing prisoners and not enforcing low level crimes....dont get lippy with them. Be respectful and just tell them you have respect for them, but youre practicing civil disobedience, take the ticket respectfully, and carry on....use your human skills....the cops and lifeguards are our neighbirs and family. They surf. Appeal to their humanity.....

Rebel peacefully.
If you dont surf while babylon falls, thenyou arent a surfer. You probably stand on the beach watching everybody else when the waves get real too...

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020
Its kind of already non violent anarchy out there.those without fear of the state are already doing whatever they want....there is like 1 cop for every 100,000 people in socal....they are more scared of the people..they are rolling in teams....they are on edge.. be respectful of their plight. But politely decline to participate in their tyranny wilfully....resist like gentlemen. They have their hands full with real crime. They have to pick sides soon...or else they are the criminals....war crimes....crimes against humanity.
They use your fear of death to control you like a lion tamer in a cage with lions...
No fear
We can only keep our freedom, if we wirk for it.
This is only america if we make it america.
They are doing a good job of turning it into the ussa

Last edited:

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Venice beach is closed, bro (only to regular people who actually contribute to society)....
how many $1000 tickets will they be writing here?
Mornin' Duffy,
I'll betcha that 99% of those homeless pepz you complain about in Venice,
are not from Venice, did not grow up there, nor learn to surf or sk8 there,
did not go to Coeur d'Alene, Westminster or Walgrove Elementary school,
nor Mark Twain Jr High, or Venice High School either.

The pepz that you, from Santa Barbara, bitch 'bout,
are from out of town, outta state, they migrated to Venice...
Prove me wrong, ok?
randy~vbwl
:)

Reactions: Anne t kryste

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Mornin' Duffy,
I'll betcha that 99% of those homeless pepz you complain about in Venice,
are not from Venice, did not grow up there, nor learn to surf or sk8 there,
did not go to Coeur d'Alene, Westminster or Walgrove Elementary school,
nor Mark Twain Jr High, or Venice High School either.

The pepz that you, from Santa Barbara, bitch 'bout,
are from out of town, outta state, they migrated to Venice...
Prove me wrong, ok?
randy~vbwl

At this point what matters is where they are.

I don’t really see what your point is about them not being Venice locals. Does their non-local status make it ok for them to take over Venice Beach while Venice locals who don‘t live in tents get tickets for going surfing?

Reactions: ~rwright~

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
~snip~
Rebel peacefully.
If you dont surf while babylon falls,
then you arent a surfer. You probably stand on the beach watching everybody else when the waves get real too...
Mornn' Antie~christ,
yearz ago, i'll say, if my memory recalls it correctly,
say winter of '79/'80, well ALL Los Angeles beaches, from Palos Verdes to Ventura, were closed.
For a month.

This was before L.A.'s Hyperion sewage treatment plant got that 4 billion dollar up~grade to process all thee turds that pepz sent down to DockWeiler, to be sent off~shore 2 miles outta that Shitty~Pipe that is still there. Millions upon millions of raw, untreated sheee~it flowed into the water, beaches closed, no surfin', yada, yada, yada. Thing was, there were still some good waves to be had. Me + my oldest best friend Jaime Perez, seen here recently hittin' it, well past age of 50,

well we just haaaad to surf!

Went up to Pt. Zero's, sheriff came down made us split. Argh.
Venice, the southside of Thee BreakWater, was pumping 1 afternoon, after school, rode my bicycle down there, surfed with Jaime, Sarlo, a few other V~boyz, saw some helo circlin' us in the rain, who cared? Rode home, stocked, sooo fun! Saw my ol' Mom, she asked me if i was out surfin' yea, i was, Moms!!! Took a long hot shower, get rid of sewer cooties, hahaha. Got outta the shower, Mom's, an old pot smokin' Hippie gal, was talkin' sheee~it, your gonna get sick, stay outta the water, blah, blah, blah.

She told me she had seen us, Jaime, Sarlo, me, out in the water, on tv,
as Channel 7, KABC, that ol' news show with Dr. George Fishbeck as it's weather man:

had filmed us, said look at the stupid surfers, risking gettin sick, for some waves. What~evers Mom!
As i walked outside to my garage bedroom, she followed, with a hammer, took it to the bottom of my old Pacific West twin fin that i really, really liked, swacking holes in it, again+again. She did not touch the fins though, wa~ga!
I got the board back, ran away from home that night, protestin' her authoritarian might, for a few dayz

Go surf,
if ya want!
:drowning:
rw

LogHauler

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 29, 2010
I guess I've sort of changed my view on this a little bit. Maybe closing the beaches is more about not knowing where to draw the line. I understand shutting down the volleyball courts. I understand shutting down the Strand and the piers. It would be pretty tough to allow other uses of the beach area and not those. It's just easier for them to close the beaches than to run around policing "social distancing" and explaining to everyone what is okay and what is not.

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Mornn' Antie~christ,
say winter of '79/'80, well ALL Los Angeles beaches, from Palos Verdes to Ventura, were closed.
For a month.

This was before L.A.'s Hyperion sewage treatment plant got that 4 billion dollar up~grade to process all thee turds that pepz sent down to DockWeiler, to be sent off~shore 2 miles outta that Shitty~Pipe that is still there. Millions upon millions of raw, untreated sheee~it flowed into the water, beaches closed, no surfin', yada, yada, yada. Thing was, there were still some good waves to be had. Me + my oldest best friend Jaime Perez, seen here recently hittin' it, well past age of 50,

Venice, the southside of Thee BreakWater, was pumping 1 afternoon, after school, rode my bicycle down there, surfed with Jaime, Sarlo, a few other V~boyz, saw some helo circlin' us in the rain, who cared? Rode home, stocked, sooo fun! Saw my ol' Mom, she asked me if i was out surfin' yea, i was, Moms!!! Took a long hot shower, get rid of sewer cooties, hahaha. Got outta the shower, Mom's, an old pot smokin' Hippie gal, was talkin' sheee~it, your gonna get sick, stay outta the water, blah, blah, blah.

as Channel 7, KABC, that ol' news show with Dr. George Fishbeck as it's weather man:

had filmed us, said look at the stupid surfers, risking gettin sick, for some waves. What~evers Mom!
As i walked outside to my garage bedroom, she followed, with a hammer, took it to the bottom of my old Pacific West twin fin that i really, really liked, swacking holes in it, again+again. She did not touch the fins though, wa~ga!
I got the board back, ran away from home that night, protestin' her authoritarian might, for a few dayz

Go surf,
if ya want!
rw

Great story you Dogtown Legend!

Surf looks pretty meager down here, I'm gonna go hunting.

Reactions: ~rwright~

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
I guess I've sort of changed my view on this a little bit. Maybe closing the beaches is more about not knowing where to draw the line. I understand shutting down the volleyball courts. I understand shutting down the Strand and the piers. It would be pretty tough to allow other uses of the beach area and not those. It's just easier for them to close the beaches than to run around policing "social distancing" and explaining to everyone what is okay and what is not.
I hear ya, LogHauler!
It is just easier for 'em to close thee beach to everyone.
Thing that sux is it's gonna get nice+warm in a day or 2, high 70's/low 80's.
Be fun to be allowed to hang at the beach, but hey, there's 6 pepz in the water right now,
exercisin', stock~ed, at a beach here in L.A. as i type, hahaha, and their keepin' it: 6 feet away!!!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Mornn' Antie~christ,
For a month.

Go surf,
if ya want!
rw
Dr. George. That brought back some memories. I remember when his report, the LA County Dept of Beaches phone# and the little satellite photo in the LA Times were the only surf reports available other than goin down and checking it. I don't remember the sewage spill and beac closures though...

I argued with my wife (uh oh) about the surfing ban saying it was ridiculous, but she said to be fair the exclusion has to be for everyone.

Also since I can't surf because of the nagging back/glute problem it's better for me knowing everyone's missing it.

Reactions: Kento

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I keep feeling low grade sick otherwise I’d give it a shot. It’s stressful as sh!t going into work work where they are secretly sending people home sick and not telling people then going playing hunger games at the market after 8 hours of fear and paranoia

Reactions: CutnSnip

surfMOMster

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 18, 2003
Redondo Ave's
as long as the ocean looked like it did this morning, it wont be a problem. some swell on the forecast though - will get interesting when its really firing.
Venice doesn't looked closed this morning. I've been watching the Surfline camera this morning...a whole lot of people are enjoying the bike path, the sand, and the water.

thumbnail_Screenshot_20200329-095403.png

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
One of the only common sense replies in this thread. Who knew the erBB was full of conspiracy theorists? Lol

A lot of my friends are feeling bored right now. A lot of conservatives and apparently surfers are feeling stressed about temporarily losing their freedoms.

The bored fail to recognize the true devastation many of their neighbors in different cities or states are facing right now, and the devastation that their own city will inevitably be facing very shortly. If they recognized this, they would not be bored, they would be grateful for their safety, every second of every day. I get bored all the time usually. Like, nearly every day I have off from work I get bored, wasting away on the computer. But now I’ve been locked in a bike shop for 10 days (just left for the first time today to get groceries) and I have not been bored yet. How could this be? Because I’m aware of what’s going on, the invisible storms ravaging through our country, knocking at my own door soon.

The conservatives and apparently surfers worried about temporarily being told what to do, you’re all spoiled rotten. “This virus loves white privilege” is a perfect quote to represent the difficulty we as a society have of being mindful of the situation at hand and playing our part in reducing the future devastation of our hospital system. Instead we find every excuse to go outside right now, and lament at how our freedoms are being taken away, like our parents are punishing us or something, putting us in the corner. We cheer ‘resist!’ As if it’s some righteous call for revolution. You’re a disgrace. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

As I’ve had to tell many people recently, this will get real for you when it starts affecting the people close to you, which it will. And I’m not saying that because I want it to, I’m saying that because it’s the truth. If you know any nurses or doctors you’re literally spitting in their faces by going outside right now, promoting others to go outdoors and push the limits of what we can technically get away with under the specific guidelines of ‘social distancing,’ and risking injury (be it a car accident or whatever activity you choose) in a time where our hospitals are soon to lack the capacity for dealing with any unnecessary patients.

Wake the fuck up, be a grown up and stay inside for the sake of your fellow countrymen.

Mar 24, 2020
When does it start affecting us? You folks have been ringing tbe fear bell for 2 months....news says hospitals overwhelmed......feet on the ground say otherwise. Ive checked all my local hospitals.....nothing out of the ordinary......when do your theoretical futures happen? Im losing my rights as we speak....not a theory....if you want to give up your rights for safety, then dont drag me along....
You put all of society on house arrest pre emptively.....quit with your ad hominem crap...i understand you are afraid, but you arent going to get your freedom back.....this is just like 9/11 and you sound just like all the obedient folks from back then, shouting down and insilting dissenting viewpoints....ridiculing and calling names. Using societal pressure.....keep lying, it doesnt become true. Im going to keep surfing. Just like i have been. The cops are going to have to kill me to stop me from getting wet....
You have the freedom to chose if you live on your knees. I refuse consent....

Reactions: stringcheese

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Venice doesn't looked closed this morning. I've been watching the Surfline camera this morning...a whole lot of people are enjoying the bike path, the sand, and the water.

View attachment 88347
some some places enforcing more than others. plenty of spots being surfed right now if you look at the cameras - also plenty of places in LA to surf you cant see from the street and dont need a parking lot to get to . just a matter of if its worth it or not.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
Maybe some of you will finally figure this out.

This is about control.

Surfing, going to the beach, playing...the optics of that show fun, freedom and a lack of government control.

Go to the nearest Costco and then go to the nearest beach and tell me which place is more likely to spread a virus.

The optics of Costco are that people standing in line...the ultimate image of being controlled.

control...

not controlled...

DO NOT COMPLY!
Screenshot_20200329-104350_Instagram.jpg

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I disagree with “shut it all down” but I do agree that these restrictions are arbitrary.

We need to LOOK AT WHAT IS THE MOST LIKEY to cause problems (surfing and riding bikes ain’t it) and address that.

Old people, sick people, diabetes people, stay home.

Had a guy on our Nextdoor App complain about people not moving out of his way while he was on his walk down at the waterfront.

He says he’s 70 with diabetes and is ”scared” because people aren’t giving him space to pass.

Stay home you fucking idiot. Stay home.