LA beaches done

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
My father-in-law is 70.

guess what he is doing?

He’s staying home, getting groceries delivered and keeping people (including us) away.

He‘s not an idiot. He wants to stay alive.

Guess what he’s NOT doing?

Going for walks in popular public places and complaining online about how people won‘t get out of his way.

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
I like you. I actually do. Ive prob sat next to you in the lineup. I trust you mean well too.. Im definitely not uneducated just because you disagree with me...ican see you are educated too, but sometimes that just stops outside the box thinking...you believe theres only one way to stop this, and thats the way the gov is suggesting.
Im telling you that humans are smarter and more resilient than that. There is always more than one way.
Ill do what i have to do so i can stand tall and look my kids in tbeir eyes. Unless people like us, brother surfers, can come to agree, then the future us a stark and hopeless place full of war
we dont have to come to agree, in a democratic society we are all entitled to our own opinions. But i challenge you to read some of the charts i posted, see what a continued 36% daily growth rate might look like (if you dont want to do the math just look at the coviactnow website i linked to) for our medical system - your own hospitals, your friends and neighbors that work there and your family members that might need to use those hospitals over the next couple of months, and see if you change your mind. Acting tough and saying that you feel like our species is pretty resilient is an emotional standpoint. I have friends that have that stance as well, "this is all a joke / no big deal," going about their days normally since OC isnt being nearly as restrictive or serious as LA. They wonder where all of this nonsense is coming from, and i try to educate them but they dont listen. This is the definition of ignorance. Stand tall in front of your kids by showing them what it means for a man (or woman) to make an educated assessment of a situation, change his standpoint - which takes integrity, and admit when he was wrong about something and you will teach them more of value than you ever could by showing them what it means to be hard headed.

Last edited:
Reactions: need 4 speed

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
increase testing. Increase cases. That is at least part of the equation.
The equation had* two parts.

One was: increase widespread testing, dramatically, EARLY and quarantine those who are sick, or came in contact with sick people. This is a partial shut down like South Korea was able to accomplish, with great success.

We failed to take this seriously early, and the virus spread exponentially far faster than our lagging testing abilities. We exhausted that option about a month ago.

The second is: quarantine everyone. This is what they did in cities in china including Wuhan, and it worked great. New cases dropped significantly and theyre almost back to normal already. We've already missed the boat on option one, now option two is still left but its so widespread at this point that even this option would be limited in effectiveness, unfortunately. But it would be better than nothing.

We saw South Korea's approach, we saw Italy's approach (we passed them in per capita cases a few days ago when compared to where they were at March 9th when they shut down their country), and also saw China's approach, and we have so far done a half ass job of imitating any of them, largely because of misinformation spread by the president and fox news, as well as our general sense of entitlement which has made half of our country take this way too lightly for way too long.

we saw so many other countries go through this before us, and we drug ass. WHY? why did we drag ass, and end up with some patchwork job of half ass shut downs in half the states, with barely any limitations on domestic travel? We've ignored both parts of the equation for far too long, unfortunately. Its gonna be bad, Im here trying to make it less bad by spreading the truth.

Reactions: Aruka

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
I’m not making him stay home. The CDC recommends people like him in particular should stay home. Common sense says he should stay home.

I told him that if it was me who was 70 with diabetes I’D STAY HOME.
The CDC is a joke. Up until about 11 days ago they had a chart on their website comparing the Flu Deaths to Date to the CoronaVirus Deaths To Date in an attempt to mislead the public and downplay the severity of this. Use your own eyes and make your own judgements about what we should ALL really be doing, do not just listen to the CDC like a sheep.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The CDC is a joke. Up until about 11 days ago they had a chart on their website comparing the Flu Deaths to Date to the CoronaVirus Deaths To Date in an attempt to mislead the public and downplay the severity of this. Use your own eyes and make your own judgements about what we should ALL really be doing, do not just listen to the CDC like a sheep.
My point about the CDC recommendation is that they recommend that high risk individuals stay home.

Seems like good advice.

They don’t recommend high risk go out for walks and complain online about people being in the way.

Do you take issue with the above recommendations?

Mar 24, 2020
I read the charts you posted here and the link. I see what you see, but its still not worth infringing on liberty in my eyes.
The data only serves the purpose to predict the future trends. Could end up being wrong...wouldnt be the first time experts were wrong. My freedom shouldnt be snuffed because of an experts opinion....inalienable means inalienable. The experts arent gods. Just human.

Your whole premise is that i might hurt other people, but if youre wrong then you ingringed on my rights for nothing...a and your whole premise is based on groupthink. People risk their lives every day.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The equation had* two parts.

One was: increase widespread testing, dramatically, EARLY and quarantine those who are sick, or came in contact with sick people. This is a partial shut down like South Korea was able to accomplish, with great success.

We failed to take this seriously early, and the virus spread exponentially far faster than our lagging testing abilities. We exhausted that option about a month ago.

The second is: quarantine everyone. This is what they did in cities in china including Wuhan, and it worked great. New cases dropped significantly and theyre almost back to normal already. We've already missed the boat on option one, now option two is still left but its so widespread at this point that even this option would be limited in effectiveness, unfortunately. But it would be better than nothing.

We saw South Korea's approach, we saw Italy's approach (we passed them in per capita cases a few days ago when compared to where they were at March 9th when they shut down their country), and also saw China's approach, and we have so far done a half ass job of imitating any of them, largely because of misinformation spread by the president and fox news, as well as our general sense of entitlement which has made half of our country take this way too lightly for way too long.

we saw so many other countries go through this before us, and we drug ass. WHY? why did we drag ass, and end up with some patchwork job of half ass shut downs in half the states, with barely any limitations on domestic travel? We've ignored both parts of the equation for far too long, unfortunately. Its gonna be bad, Im here trying to make it less bad by spreading the truth.
I’m almost certain I had COVID in January. Will be getting an anti-body test as soon as one is available.

Wife, son, FIL all got it. FIL went to hospital. I had it bad, wife worse, son blew through it in 4 days.

Dry cough, no phlegm, no stuffy nose, shortness of breath, fever. Got sick a week after working in Arcadia, where there is a large Chinese population, handling equipment that is handled by the public literally hundreds of times per day. Spent night in hotel that was absolutely packed with chinese vistors.

Reactions: PRCD

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
Btw, im fairly certain statistical math falls under the purview of theoretical mathmatics...fyi
hmm, having taken statistics in college as well as a number of other high level math courses (differential equations, system dynamics, calculus 1 & 2), i would say that statistics in the realm of making predictions based on small sample sizes is certainly theoretical. Its scientific, but theoretical - much like the theory of gravity. You say gravity, I say there are invisible demons pulling everything down towards the ground. All theory ;)

But statistical accounts of the effects this virus has had on various countries - as well as our very own county, over the past couple months are in no way theoretical, they're just numbers clumped together. real data points portrayed in a way to present the applicable trends.

Dont confuse one with the other.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I’m going to work. That’s more dangerous than surfing imo. Grocery shopping is more dangerous than surfing, not an opinion. I haven’t been because I haven’t been feeling very healthy with all this stress.

Reactions: Bman76

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
I’m almost certain I had COVID in January. Will be getting an anti-body test as soon as one is available.

Wife, son, FIL all got it. FIL went to hospital. I had it bad, wife worse, son blew through it in 4 days.

Dry cough, no phlegm, no stuffy nose, shortness of breath, fever. Got sick a week after working in Arcadia, where there is a large Chinese population, handling equipment that is handled by the public literally hundreds of times per day. Spent night in hotel that was absolutely packed with chinese vistors.
Same, I'm pretty sure I got it a few weeks ago from a coworker who went to the ER the night before and came back sick. Started having intense gas issues that night and diarrhea whenever i ate, even tho i wasnt eating anything out of the norm and didnt even have nausea or anything, it was weird. Had an intense fever that came on for like an hour or two that night watching the UFC event, almost left and went home. Then the stomach symptoms persisted with a lack of appetite, some slight head cold issues and maybe one more rise in temperature.

I hope i aleady have it and it was a mild case, also looking forward to the antibody testing.

Reactions: PRCD
Mar 24, 2020
Id Give anything to go back to the days where i only had to worry about ringworm on the mats. Now no more rolling, no mats, no gi, no surf, mx tracks closed...trails and parks closed....
Im patient for now, but the tails already rattling.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Id Give anything to go back to the days where i only had to worry about ringworm on the mats. Now no more rolling, no mats, no gi, no surf, mx tracks closed...trails and parks closed....
Ditto to all of this.

Lack of mat time has me itching for a fight for the first time in a decade.

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
anyone thats bored right now just isnt aware of the storm thats knocking on your door. Like i said in my first post - im fully capable of being bored, it usually happens at least weekly on my days off when im just wasting away on my phone, frustrated that im not being productive. yet now ive been locked indoors for 11 days so far and i havent been bored once. how? Ive literally asked myself this, and i figured it out. its because im aware of whats going on. if youre bored its because youre unaware of the tornado ravaging through the rest of the country right now.

check out www.reddit.com/r/coronavirus and read through some of the comments, your boredom will be replaced with appreciation for your temporary safety.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Another day closer to the moment when "bugtuna" here and the rest of these fear mongering parrots disappear back to reddit so that they don't have to answer for their chicken little behavior.

Reactions: Kaido

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Live free or die.

Any questions?
ever heard the phrase "..the general welfare...?"

Locking down seniors is for their own good. They are most at risk. But anyone can spread the disease. Because my wife's family is from Northern Italy I'm hearing a lot of comments to the effect, "..we should have taken this more seriously..."

Friend's uncle died (in Connecticut). It's real.

Last edited: